iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C5D Treefarmer Forwarder Transfer Case, tires

Started by Horselog, April 11, 2013, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea what's going on with my transfer case, and possible fixes.  When I'm going down hill with a big load the transfer case has started jumping out of gear and leaving me freewheeling, kinda scary when it first happened.  It makes a noise like it's jumping around on gears or something similar, then jumps out of gear.  Is there any rebuild kits or something along those lines out there?  Possible sources?

Also, has anyone used farm/combine tires on skidders or forwarders?  If so, what how do they compare to proper forestry tires?  I'm looking for some 23.1x26 tires

Thanks.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

240b

Firestone makes an industrial tire which appears to have forestry tire construction and ag tread (r1) in 23.1 I wonder how those compare? 

John Woodworth

Chances are the spring behind the detent ball on the shift rail is weak or broken and not holding it in gear, wear on the shift fork, or wear in the shift linkage. I rather doubt that it's a gear problem as they are square cut gears, is the box made by Cotta? you can get them online. check out your linlage and the detent ball and spring can be changed without pulling the box.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

smwwoody

Call this place up  http://forestryconstruction.com/  ask for Keith.  He knows those old tree farmers and franklins inside and out.  they were dealers.  he will have all the parts you need to fix the t case in stock.  he is also not to far from you
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Horselog

So all I can see to access the case without pulling it is the little box on top where the PTO that runs to the hydraulic pump is.  Seems rather far up, can you access all the things mentioned that might be wrong from there?  I'm also having a clicking noise  in the transfer case as I drive.  If I push the clutch pedal it stops, even if I'm moving.  It seems to do it more when the machine is holding a load back than when I'm pulling up a hill.  Might that be related to my other problem?  Any ideas?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

ga jones

You would be best to pull it out. Put new seals and bearings detent ball and spring check it all out . There very simple to rebuild.davco in Farmington Maine is also a very good place for parts and diagrams and general knowledge .
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!