iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C5D Rockwell Axle Issue

Started by SliverPicker, May 18, 2014, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

A few weeks ago I pulled my axles apart to replace the seals.  The front axle had a bunch (lots) of metal "flakes" floating around.  No chunks of splinters, just magnetic glittery pieces.  All the gears and planetaries where if excellent shape.  I found that the right front ring gear for the planetary had come loose.  The metal plates that pull the ring gear tight to the backing piece where hammered from thrust forces.  I discovered that there was a thin spacer washer that was placed outboard of the gear on the end of the axle shaft.  On the other three axle shafts that spacer was inboard.  I moved the spacer to the inboard position and reassembled everything.  I put every single piece of the axles, hubs and planetaries back exactly where they came from except for that one spacer washer (about 3/32" thick).  It looked like the metal flakes where coming from the axle shaft rubbing on the inside of the axle tube where it necks down the near outside end of the axle right before the planetary.  Now everything is buttoned back up with fresh 80-90.  When I travel in the skidder there is now a low grinding coming from somewhere.  The noise occurs when I correct the steering to one side or the other when traveling straight.  I pulled the magnetic drain plugs on that axle (both sides) and there is quite a bit more of those glittery flakes of metal.  I cleaned the axles tubes completely before I reassembled them so I am pretty sure the flakes are newly generated.  One other interesting thing is that I ordered parts from Daveco in Maine and everything I got for the hubs was too small.  I wonder if someone installed bigger axle shafts/planetaries in these axle tubes and maybe they are rubbing because their diameter is a bit excessive.  I didn't notice any interference when I was reassembling every thing. 

I don't know specifically what model of Rockwell axles these are.   

Anyone ever encounter an issue like this? 
Yooper by trade.

treeslayer2003

well, always try to get parts useing the axle model. i hope you used new bolts on that ring gear....and lots of red lock tight.
after you run a while, feel the hubs for heat, they should be cool. if they are hot, somthing is worn badly.
did you check the bearings? they need to be pretty snug, you don't want the wieght on the planatary.
on the rockwells, those bronze pins have a tendancy to wear/break and turn in the housing. this wears the hole big in the carrier, if thats the case the new pin won't help for long because the pin moves in the housing and allows the gears to move out of proper alighnment.

treeslayer2003

check out tree farmer axle ? down the page here, coxy has a good handle on these.
the op has a pic on the first post, that housing looks worn to me.

bushmechanic

If your only getting the noise when turning the machine then you may have a problem with the no-spin. It's and over running clutch that keeps power to both wheels at the same time. It's located in the center of the differential and when they give out they will leave a lot of metal flakes in the oil. If everything else looks good I would check the no-spin, too bad it's already reassembled. Hope this helps.

SliverPicker

Thanks for the input.  A tear down is in the cards in the next few days. 

I am pretty sure the problem lies somehow with a replacement planetary assembly that is in there.  I didn't notice any thing wrong when I was in there last, but I am guessing I didn't look hard enough.

The frost is off the pumpkin.  The woods should be dry in the next 2-3 weeks.  Logging will be back on the menu!
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!