iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV grip heater

Started by trapper, November 11, 2008, 10:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I am planning on getting heated grips for my ATV.   What you guys using and any tips on installing.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ADAMINMO

Gloves .... They are cheap and easy to use. :D

Jeff

They came on my Honda Rincon and I love em. Gloves may keep your hands from getting cold, but they won't warm up cold hands. I've had my hands get cold while out hunting while wearing gloves to the point where I needed to quit hunting to go warm up, and have my hands warmed enough by the grips riding back to camp that I turned around and went back to hunting. They are great and if I was ever to get another bike, its a mandatory option now.

I can't help on installation cause all I ever had to do was flip a switch. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADAMINMO

I think the install is pretty simple. You take off the standard grips and slide on the new heated ones and run your wires down through where the handlebars go. Route them under gas tank and seat to battery. Be sure to route it around moving parts(handle bars) and away from parts that may get hot (motor , exaust system, ect.). I wish I had them at times, but it only gets cold enough for them here a few weeks a year normally. Plus if it is that cold chances are I am not riding my wheeler anyway.

beenthere

Adam
Works good in MO.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tim L

I agree Jeff . When I bought my Polaris Sportsman it was the Hunters edition and was standard . My buddy said that those grips would be my favorite option . I doubted it until I was riding with two guy when it was about 20 degrees with a fierce wind .We all had carhart suits with fur hats but I was the only one with heated grips . They had to stop twice in about 15 miles to warm their hands , I was fine. I also wouldn't do without now.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Reddog

Hot grips work well, check out their web page.

thecfarm

I have heated handles on my saw.I got tired of using the exhaust pipe on the tractor to warm up my hands.The only way to go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

The wiring for the heaters is pretty simple. BUT, there is a ceramic resistor that you have to mount. It gets hot, so you need to put it where it won't contact any plastic.
I also put a heated thumbwarmer on my Polaris  ;D. Just used a zippy tie to hold it on the throttle, works great!

Ed

okie

Quote from: thecfarm on November 13, 2008, 07:48:45 AM
I have heated handles on my saw.I got tired of using the exhaust pipe on the tractor to warm up my hands.The only way to go.

What kind of saw do you run?  As soon as I saw this thread I thought, I wonder if I could put a pair on my Lucas mill. I'm discovering that the bear metal gets real uncomfortable in just chilly weather, Thought about putting pipe insulation on it and still may but this has given me somethin to ponder.  :P
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Ed

Quote from: okie on November 13, 2008, 10:23:23 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on November 13, 2008, 07:48:45 AM

What kind of saw do you run?  As soon as I saw this thread I thought, I wonder if I could put a pair on my Lucas mill. I'm discovering that the bear metal gets real uncomfortable in just chilly weather, Thought about putting pipe insulation on it and still may but this has given me somethin to ponder.  :P

Saws with heated handles are factory done. They also have heated carbs to prevent icing.

There are aftermarket atv/snowmobile heat elements available that stick on the bare handlebar, then you reinstall the grip over them. I put them on my Bobcat years ago, work great.

Ed

sawguy21

They are not hard to install and are a nice option. Split the old grips with a knife to remove them, roll the new ones back so they are almost inside out then roll them on to the bar. Don't use a lubricant or they will not stay tight. Zip tie the wires to the handle bar.
Find a convenient spot to mount the switch then splice the power lead to a fused circuit that is tied into the ignition switch. There is usually an available one in the headlight bucket. That way they won't kill the battery if they are left on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tim L

an old timer used to tell me to lube grips with rubbing alcohol because it worked and then evaporated . I haven't had the occasion to try it .

Kevin

I put them on my argo last year.
I had to buy two different sizes because of the twist throttle.
You can use warm soapy water to put them on and a heat gun to warm up the stock grips to get them off.
Wire them to the accessory in the ignition in case you forget to turn them off.

http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?crn=202

trapper

my dealer sent me a ten dollar coupon for my birthday.  i bought a pair of moose heated grips when I picked up the ATV from warranty service (brake light switch) tonight.  appear easy to mount.  Thanks all.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

DRAT!

Whatever you do, dont some how leave your grip heaters on and your key on overnight in the u.p. when its in the teens and you dont have a charger or any other mode of transportation.

Here I go back out to pick my shoulders and elbows that fell off up out of the snow to try and start it again... :-\

Jeff

Posting on the forum must have helped!  Started first pull. (Plus about 100 earlier)

Tim L

gotta love pull start , the 700cc models on up (Polaris) don't have it . I love my 500cc . I'd rather not walk if I can help it .

beenthere

Glad you got it running again with the pull start.
I've tried starting mine with the pull rope, and only succeeded in breaking the handle. It plain pulls hard.
Not sure why either. It's a Rotax engine, one cylinder, and no compression release.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Man the compression will wear you and your shoulders out. >:(
Mine is also impossible. :(

Jeff

600's should never come with a pull start. I would have found an easier way which I did after the fact. I talked to Pete a bit ago.

Pete:  "I bought a new little 12 volt charger, its right near the end table behind the couch still in the box. Didn't I tell you?"

ARGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff on November 23, 2008, 11:24:15 AM
DRAT!

Whatever you do, dont some how leave your grip heaters on and your key on overnight in the u.p. when its in the teens and you dont have a charger or any other mode of transportation.

Here I go back out to pick my shoulders and elbows that fell off up out of the snow to try and start it again... :-\
That is why I suggested wiring them through the ignition accessory side ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Notice I mentioned I left the key on somehow. That is how mine are wired. Made no difference.  How the key got turned back on I do not know. I turned it off to kill the bike.

Corley5

I thought pulling on a 250 Honda was bad  ;) ;D  I don't think our 650 Outies have recoils on them  ???  Have to cable instead of rope  ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!