New Cant Hook Grip

Started by Magicman, August 09, 2017, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My 60" Logrite Cant Hook got a new rubber grip today. 

I contacted Logrite and had them to bring me several new rubber grips to the Pig Roast.  One that I needed plus a couple of extras.  Tammy and Kevin warned me that the grip replacement could be done but not easily.  I tried but the trapped air inside of the handle and grip had a mind of it's own so I did not do it as they described or as was printed on the enclosed instruction sheet.  Since Logrite uses air and a special jig, I decided to attempt the same method, well sorta.

I cut the old grip off so there is no turning back now.

Next I had some "unpinning" to do.  The roll pin came out easily enough, but the tip was another matter.  It was in solid so drastic measures were in order.

I added Bluecreeper, let it soak in, and then added more.

The tip then tapped right out.

Duct tape to the rescue to seal the roll pin holes.

I also needed to wrap my air nozzle so that it would fit snuggly to the end of the cant hook.

Everything is air tight so now it was time to call Marty because there was no way that I could handle both ends of a 60" cant hook.

We cleaned and lubricated both the handle and new grip with alcohol.  A shot of air and the new grip easily slid onto the cant hook handle.

It was now a simple matter to tap the tip back into the handle.

And drive the roll pin back into it's hole.  Mission Accomplished.   logrite_cool

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

You're just going to leave those scratches and dings in there?!?

Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

Quote from: grouch on August 09, 2017, 09:52:04 PM
You're just going to leave those scratches and dings in there?!?
:D :D :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Those are not scratches and dings.  They are well earned "battle scars" that are worn with pride.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

Wow Magicman your process is well documented!  I could use it as an instruction sheet.

We use Bluecreeper to get the pins and tips in as well!!!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

John Mc

So what is the shot of air doing to help this process?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Expands the foam grip so it can slide on.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Mc

Quote from: Jeff on August 10, 2017, 04:28:15 PM
Expands the foam grip so it can slide on.

OK. I was picturing just blowing it right off the end of the handle.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

Oh and if you don't have a tight grip, the air will indeed send it flying.  The trick is to push the "air" expanded grip onto the handle while letting the air escape, as in quickly.

The grip is too tight (small) to allow the air to be inserted alongside the grip.

grouch

I wonder if dish detergent would work as well as alcohol. I once had to put a grip on a piece of weight-lifting equipment and the instructions said to use dish detergent and water to get it on. Figured it would fall off in short order, but it never got loose after drying. The soapy water made it slick and allowed the air to bubble out as the grip was pushed and twisted on.

Magicman

The rubber grip manufacturer (EEZER Products, Inc.) specifically warns against using soapy water as a lubricant. 

Rubbing alcohol is their first lubricant suggestion and P80 rubber lubricant is the only alternative lubricant option that they recommend.  I followed their suggestion and used alcohol.  There was no need to seek an alternative lubricant.

grouch

You were just trying to get grip drunk so you cant hook and have an excuse to go back nawth out of the rain.

Magicman

Guilty as charged.  Rain and Heat.   smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun

grouch

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2017, 09:13:30 PM
Guilty as charged.  Rain and Heat.   smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun

Aha! I knew it.

Well, seeing all those untended wounds on your poor LogRite, I just couldn't stand it any more. There's at least 1 that won't suffer your (horror!) forced feeding of alcohol and compressed air -- I just ordered one to rescue it from your clutches.

Banjo picker

I have two mill specials with the base ball bat handle on them.  Would that not be practical on the larger versions?  Banjo

Sorry for the poor picture quality.  Thats Chris aka Meadows Miller in the background all decked out in the proper ppe.  Thats a 24 foot log I am turning with that little mill special.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LeeB

That's a name that I haven't seen in a while.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Yup, Chris aka Meadows Miller was at this year's Pig Roast.

And quiet a healthy lad he is.

Crusarius

I always used hairspray to replace grips. It acts as a lube but act fast as soon as you start to slide the grip on it dries. once dry, you have to cut the grip off.

Worked great replacing the grips on my snowmobiles. Grips never moved either.

petefrom bearswamp

Used the air method when replacing a heated hand grip on my atv last week.
Glad to know it works for other applications.
Lynn after the pig roast you now have a 60" logrite for both hands.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

grouch

Just got an email today -- my LogRite is on its way!

Their order form has a space for additional comments. I put "would prefer UPS" in that, thinking they might offer that way of shipping in the future if enough other people wanted it. Somebody read it and they shipped it via UPS! I think it may have cost me an extra dollar in shipping, but the point is they 'listened' and adapted immediately. (Hope it wasn't too much extra burden. Didn't expect that response).

Thank you LogRite.

Aside:
I should probably explain about that preference. Whoever handles FedEx deliveries in my area is unreliable. They delivered one of my packages to a store about 3-1/2 miles away on the very day that store went out of business and locked its doors. Tracking info naturally said they delivered it to me. Another time, they called to see if I would meet them at some highway intersection. When I refused -- UPS, USPS and even Airbourne Express deliver to my door -- they handed the package off to the US mail carrier to deliver. Anybody remember FedEx's sneering commercials making fun of the U.S. Postal Service? Just last week, they falsely claimed to have delivered a package to my son when it was still in their warehouse. I'm not a fan of FedEx.

breederman

FedEx is awful. They can't be bothered to put packages on the porch and just leave them on the ground by the mailbox. I'm not home for 2 or 3 days every week so they sit out there getting wet .
Together we got this !

Ox

I've also had problems with FedEx.  They don't read the personal preferences where to leave the packages and I've had them left at the front door, which we don't use (it's obvious - nothing but grass going to it and no path beat down, anybody with half a brain can see we don't use that door).  Meanwhile, UPS has been the steadfast old mule that just does their job.  UPS for the win!  If FedEx keeps messing around they're gonna keep losing to UPS and the regular old mail, which is also good around here.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

trapper

FedEx keeps bringing us other peoples stuff.  3 maple roads in the county.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

grouch

My LogRite arrived today!

Magicman:
Thanks for posting those excellent photos. Those are what convinced me to buy a LogRite and retire my homemade cant hook. Your photos let me see the tool as if I had it in hand and had my reading glasses on. :)

Magicman

The problem may be that Logrites seem to be a family and are more content in the company of other family members.  It would be very difficult to own only one Logrite.   ;D