iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heating pool with a boiler

Started by Bennettmt, February 09, 2019, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennettmt

I'm considering putting in a pool this spring. Wanting to heat it with my Central Boiler. Has anyone done this? Just wondering how good this works. Not going to be much cheaper than a gas unit. Mainly because it will be a 100ft from my boiler. Just looking for input from someone that's actually done it

albirk

I have hooked up 3 pools over the years. They have all worked great but you will burn lots of wood the first week are so. The one guy said he burnt more wood 1 week then he burnt all of January but the pool was nice and warm. All of them I hooked up we hooked them up in the house and ran PVC to the pool and not the PEX drained everything in the house in the fall and the plate exchanger stayed warm all winter without freezing.

snowstorm

i tried heating the inground pool many yrs ago with a propane heater. it used a lot of propane

albirk

I have never had a pool and hope not to have one. I installed for the local CB dealer and they all said cut plenty of wood when you want to start heating the pool.

clearcut

If you decide to heat the pool, a cover really helps keep the heat in, so you will use much less fuel no matter what the source. 

An automatic cover, built into the coping will pay for itself quickly in heating and maintenance costs. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

mike_belben

Run a section of copper coil inside a stripped water heater tank built into a waste oil heater based on the MEN heater .. Mother Earth News.  Theyve been built by the hundreds since the 1970s.  My friend heats his pool off waste oil without any issues.  Solder garden hose connections onto the external stubs of copper pipe for a quick hookup.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

I have a very good water to water heat exchanger here from when we heated our pool one year with a prototype biomizer. Heat exchanger worked great for that. Should work better with a wood boiler. Its been in the barn now for close to ten years.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

E Yoder

I hooked up a fair number of pools over the years. As was mentioned be prepared to burn a lot of wood pulling it up to temp. Btw, it'll burn an amazing amount of propane if you went that route too. :)
Copper can be pinholed eventually by pool chemicals. I use stainless tube and shell heat exchangers on chlorine pools, titanium on salt water.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Thank You Sponsors!