iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thickness for Table Top ??

Started by Magicman, January 16, 2013, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodey

MM,
Lots of good information has been shared.

Let us know how your table turns out! :)
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Planman1954

If a 1" perimeter board is glued and screwed along the grain of the 2 sides the length of the table, it will remain stable. The 45d joint is under the corners, if the wood is properly dry before construction with a biscuit in the 45, I don't believe it will move. The end pieces should be 2" thick breadboards. That is where movement occurs. There would NOT be a problem. Maybe I'm not expressing my thought clearly.

Guys..I've built projects for 40 years. They are all still intact.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

beenthere

planman
I trust you know what you are doing. I just am not following what it is, and lose you when you add the 45° joint. How about a pic?
Seems adding thickness like WDH so end grain is seen (no breadboard) would be the safest way to go.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Planman1954

Here's a quick drawing...not perfect...but gives you the idea.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Mooseherder

Thanks for that drawing Planman. :)
It really helps aspiring woodworkers like myself with some direction.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Axe Handle Hound

Planman- that's a really interesting way to add a false edge to a table top.  I don't think I've ever seen that approach used before.  If you say that has worked for you before I'll believe you.  I've certainly seen joints before that technically shouldn't work, but ultimately do.  Do you have any photos of a project you've built using this joint?  I'd really be interested in seeing how it looks beyond just the schematic. 

Tree Feller

Same here, Planman. If that design works for you, great.

Just a note. We have a Walnut blanket chest in our bedroom and the lid has breadboard ends. The Walnut was dried to 7% MC in my solar kiln and I built the blanket chest almost immediately after moving the lumber to my shop.

I noticed this morning that the breadboards were extending past the top panel by about 3/32" on both sides. I glued the center 1/3 of the breadboard to the 24" wide top and the ends are secured with draw-bored pegs in elongated holes.

I don't know what the EMC inside my home is but it's evidently less than 7% MC in winter because that top panel shrunk. I expect the breadboards will be back flush with the panel by June or so when the panel expands.

The point is that wood moves with changes in RH. I've had some heartbreaks because I didn't account for that movement in my design. Once burned, twice shy.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bogue Chitto

MM this one is 2 inch top with 4x4 legs.  Son built it last year. 

Magicman

Thanks to all for the information and as usual, I keep my wagon loaded, and my wagon ain't even red.  Here I am working away every minute of my "spare" time on the Cabin Addition, and I ask about a table.

Yup, when the Addition is completed, "She" said that I would build a dining table which will occupy the existing living room.  The table that we saw in Birch Run, Mi. that I pictured in the OP kinda caught our eye, but I am quite sure that I will leave the board ends because I kinda like that look.  I just may do that WDH trick. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!