iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PTO Skidding Winches

Started by kyjondeere, August 01, 2018, 10:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjondeere

I have about an 80 acre woodlot with mostly white oak, red oak, tulip poplar, and hickory.  Along with severe damage in 2009 from an ice storm, and recent straight line wind storms, I have several either downed or dying trees (primarily white oak).  I plan to harvest these trees myself.  I've decided that there is enough work and future work to invest in a 3 point skidding winch.  My research points to 3 main brands for consideration (Farmi, Wallenstein, and Norse).  I am looking for some input on these from those who are familiar.  

Cost is important, however, I don't want to buy poor quality just to save a few bucks.  My initial research indicates that the comparable Norse branded winch is substantially less expensive than the similarly specified Wallenstein and Farmi.  That said, I'm leaning toward the Norse 350.  I have a 80 HP (69 HP PTO) and a 32 HP PTO Kubota tractor that I will be using the winch on.  

Any input on any of these winches is appreciated.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

thecfarm

I myself would move up to the Norse 450 and put it on that 80hp tractor. I have the 450 on a 40 hp. Those big ones,2 feet across,can only take a couple at a time. I like the butt plate that pivots and mine came with boxes on the side to hold the chains. I also like the higher pulley too. We looked at some of the other winches. That Norse had the highest pulley.We had some big pine, 3 feet was normal.  Even had some 4 foot ones.
But saying that any winch is a good one. Never had any trouble,needing parts,with the Norse. And that winch was worked hard. Now it lives a life of ease with firewood.
Make up some 4 foot chains for the small stuff. I use the 4 foot chains more than the 8 foot ones now.
I run 6 slides. Most times all six are used,sometimes only one. Much better to have  the slides and not use them,than to need the slides and not have them.
Never pull at a sharp angle, You can tip the tractor over. I put down the loader and set the brake each time. Lower the winch too,of course.
Watch the slash that will come towards you when winching in.
I've had that winch since '93 and really like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

I've never used a Norse or a Wallenstein myself, though I have seen them used.

I've seen a lot of Farmi winches in action, and spoken to a lot of Farmi owners over the years (they are probably the most popular brand in my area). I've never met a single owner who was unhappy with their purchase - which is probably one of the reasons why you never see a used one up for sale.

I own a Uniforest winch, and have been happy with it, but even so, if I were buyng new now, I would get a Farmi.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

Quote from: thecfarm on August 01, 2018, 01:47:09 PM
I myself would move up to the Norse 450 and put it on that 80hp tractor. I have the 450 on a 40 hp. Those big ones,2 feet across,can only take a couple at a time. I like the butt plate that pivots and mine came with boxes on the side to hold the chains. I also like the higher pulley too. We looked at some of the other winches. That Norse had the highest pulley.We had some big pine, 3 feet was normal.  Even had some 4 foot ones.
But saying that any winch is a good one. Never had any trouble,needing parts,with the Norse. And that winch was worked hard. Now it lives a life of ease with firewood.
Make up some 4 foot chains for the small stuff. I use the 4 foot chains more than the 8 foot ones now.
I run 6 slides. Most times all six are used,sometimes only one. Much better to have  the slides and not use them,than to need the slides and not have them.
Never pull at a sharp angle, You can tip the tractor over. I put down the loader and set the brake each time. Lower the winch too,of course.
Watch the slash that will come towards you when winching in.
I've had that winch since '93 and really like it.
I agree with Rays statement 100%. I used a 30 hp Kubota L3010 with a Farmi 290 winch for almost 20 years cutting fir and firewood. I wanted to cut some bigger wood and found a used 56 hp M5640 and put a Farmi 501 winch on it. You would not believe the huge benefit I got from the bigger tractor in the woods. Much much safer too. I am now a firm believer in bigger is better when working in the woods. Get a winch sized properly for the 80 hp tractor rather than one you can put on either. You will not be sorry. Any major brand that you mentioned will give you a good winch. When you consider that it will last you a lifetime the cost difference between brands becomes almost meaningless so just get the one you want. Just my opinion.
gg

Jack Lilley

After doing allot of research I just purchased an Igland (same as a Norse) 350. Price was a factor and people that have them seem happy with them. I ordered it from a place in VT and it was drop shipped to me the next day in  northern Maine, great service. I have it on a New Holland TC30 and have only yarded  7 or 8 large, heavy, fir with but it worked well.

John Mc

Gman & Thecfarm make some good points.

My set up is similar to Jack Lilley's: I have a Uniforest 35E (similar size to a Farmi 351) on a 33HP New Holland TC33D. It works well for what I need. It can be used safely as long as you are aware of the limits. I chose the winch size because it fit well with the tractor I owned. (I was having enough trouble justifying the purchase of the winch, let alone trying to explain to my wife that I "needed" a whole new tractor.)

If I had already owned a larger tractor, I would have sized the winch for the bigger one.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!