iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nose for trees

Started by Jeff, May 27, 2002, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Gramps told me that the basket on the two-wheeled, geriatric-ATV is for adult beverages.  Nothing like a party in the woods. :)

Furby

I came across this picture a few weeks ago. I belive it is the same place as in  the picture hydeoutman posted, only this is from 1920 or 1921.

I'd like to hear what you all think.

Jeff

In the spirit off Halloween, I thought I would post a picture of this tree that I hated to pass in the dark with the quad while Bear hunting. I always thought it was about to grab me. I remember years ago when it had a sign on it, it was not near as spooky.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

urbanlumberinc

This huge Siberia
n Elm was a good
lookin tree (for all kindsa reasons)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

johncinquo

Cant seem to get the picture to come up from my gallery.  See the saddle one I have there.  I am always intrigued when I find them like that.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Sprucegum

I found this one on the edge of a seep/slide area. Its determined to grow, it just don't know which way to go!

Ron Scott

White Oak Tree. This white oak tree of unusal form was found in a storm damaged timber area. It is growing out of a large rock pile. One can only imagine the hand picked rock pile created by clearing farm land now well overgrown with timber. 

Front side of characteristic white oak tree growing in rock pile; Maturen timber harvest; 8/08

Back side of characteristic white oak tree growing in rock pile; Maturen timber harvest; 5/08

~Ron

Ron Scott

Yellow birch Grows From Stump. The only two birch on the 80 acre area of mixed oak, red maple, and aspen are a pole size white birch and yellow birch side by side. The yellow birch grows from a remnant stump. Maturen timber harvestl 7/08.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

That type of germination and growth of yellow birch is quite unique as far as temperate hardwood go. You also get them on mossy covered boulders where the roots migrate through the moss to reach the main soil base. Conditions have to be just right though so the roots don't die in the dry times. I think the roots grow quite rapidly in yellow birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I found this paper birch today. I have named it the The Right Angle Birch. :)

Mooseherder

I have it's cousin lefty. ;D

Tom

Y'all need to give your trees some vitamins.  They sure are pale.  :-\   Might help that case of rickets too.  :D

Mooseherder

Quote from: Tom on October 04, 2008, 06:58:30 PM
Y'all need to give your trees some vitamins.  They sure are pale.  :-\   Might help that case of rickets too.  :D

Mine has Goal Post disease. ;D

Ron Scott

Wind Shaped Red Pine. Constant exposure to the winds along the Straits of Mackinaw shapes these shoreline trees. Wilderness State Park, 9/08.

~Ron

Tom

Do you like them too, Ron?   I love seaside, windswept trees.  Along the Coast of the Southeast USA, Live Oak and Cedar create groves of misshapen trees, some of which look like they are permantly affixed in a gale, and others that have you looking for he spooks as the sun goes down.  I like them too.

SwampDonkey

I've notice the red cedar, lodgepole pine and western hemlock along BC's NW coast as well, the ones along the shore line and lowland. It's funny though. I tend to look at a tree most times for it timber value.  :D And some of those were just ugly, but part of the landscape none-the-less. I guess you could think of them as the front row crop that allows the trees a bit further in to grow better timber.  Sometimes you can go a long way in and still have crappy timber, depending on what it's growing on. ;D Those wind swept trees have inspired a good bunch of art though.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Yes, they add unique character and diversity to the shoreline landscape.
~Ron

Jeff

This tree here is on the way to my sister Lynda's house.  For some reason, when ever I see it, it reminds me of some sort of musical instrument. It has very few branches on its east and west sides, but branched out huge north and south. If you view it from the south, it looks rather flat.

I dont know if it reminds me of a harp, or what, it just seems musical in my mind.

pigman

It's looks like a harp tree to me. We don't have them down here, but we do have quite a few fiddle trees.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Chico

Looks like one of them Lyres or whatever the Jewish folks use in their services to me or maybe a music holder like my daughter had on her clarinet ;D
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

SwampDonkey

Or an elaborate candelabra or Jewish menorah. ;D

ErikC

I have a big live oak right by my driveway that reminds me of that. It is pretty wide, but kind of flat. It is one of my favorite trees on the place.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

g_man

I have this funny fir tree.

My wife thinks I'm being childish. She is usually right. But thought some of you might get a chuckle like I did.

gg

Brad_bb

Looks like you've got some junk in the trunk!   :D :D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!