iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone experiment with alternative energy?

Started by Danny_S, December 12, 2005, 09:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

So how much energy does it take to make the radio waves?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

A high frequency glue machine sends radio waves into one plate, through the gluelines in a panel and to ground in the top plate. They can excite and vaporize the water out of the glue in half a minute or so. 15-20 kw and I don't think there was enough splitting of molecules to run an engine. There was enough electricity used to run one  ???

clousert

I make biodiesel from used vegetable oil in our area.  My cost is about $1.10 per gallon (not counting labor, of course).  I have run it in my farm tractors for 2 years.  I like it so much that I'm converting my bandsaw to a diesel engine, and I'll saw with it too.

I made a Savonius style windmill, which really didn't work at all.  Anybody thinking about Savonius style windmill, give me a holler.  If I get around to building another one, it will be the conventional type.

I would also like to hear from someone who made an electric tractor, or car, or go-cart of any kind.  I have an interest in making one of these ever since I saw the electric tractor this fall at the Nittany Antique Machinery Show in central PA.  That thing was awesome!
Tom Clouser, farmer and sawmill operator in Pennsylvania, partner of CLOUSER FARM ENTERPRISES

OneWithWood

Hey, Clousert, what type of a rig are you using to make the bio diesel? 
Are you using sodium or potasium hydroxide?
How are you handling the glycerol and wash water?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

clousert

To OneWithWood:  We had the local welding shop weld a metal cone onto the bottom of a 55 gallon drum, and put the whole thing on legs.  A water heater electrode and thermostat are mounted in the cone.  That is my reactor.  After that I have 2 more flat bottom barrels, in series.

I use sodium hydroxide, the standard household lye, except I purchase it in 50-lb. bags.

Glycerine is drained off the cone bottom reactor about 6 to 12 hours after conversion.  Fuel is pumped into next barrel for settling, (24 hours) and to the fuel barrel after that, also with a bottom drain.  My barrels are equipped with a bottom tap (stove boiler drain) and another tap about one-third the way up.  Barrels are never completely empty, as I only use fuel from the high taps.

Glycerine is just hand-dumped into a storage barrel.  What I don't use as liquid soap, I dump onto a big manure compost pile. 

I made 2 batches of homemade bar soap, which worked OK for man-soap, but the women in my house won't touch it.

My dad wants to make a burner to utilize the glycerine better.  It burns well when hot.  In my one soap batch, I was bringing a kettle of glycerine to near-boiling on the stove, and caught the entire pan on fire!

Tom Clouser, farmer and sawmill operator in Pennsylvania, partner of CLOUSER FARM ENTERPRISES

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!