iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a large walnut log

Started by Wes06, April 16, 2018, 09:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wes06

I'm looking for someone in central illinois to cut a walnut log for me.  Its 48"×28" on the bottom and 63"×28" on the top its 7ft long . Im wanting them cut in 2" thick slabs.  Also how much it would cost to have done?   
Thanks

Brad_bb

It's not clear the size to me.  Typically you'd give the diameter at the bottom and the diameter at the top.  If it's a crotch at the top, you'd indicate the spread at the crotch and the diameter of the two secondary trunks(or at least the largest one).  

Are you wanting this slabbed for table top/counter tops?  If so, and it's greater than 36 inch diameter, you'll either need someone with 1)a big industrial band mill, or 2)someone with a Petersen or Lucas slabbing mill, or 3)someone with an alaskan chainsaw mill with wide enough capacity.  

Which one depends on 1)who has what around you, and 2)whether or not you can bring the log to them or they have to come to you. I'm sure their charge will be less if you bring it to them, but you will have to bear the cost for the hauling each way.  So it may pay to go with option 2 or 3 and have them come to you.  Do you have a forklift to remove the slabs as they are cut?  You'll also need to move them to a place on your property where they can air dry.  Do you know how to sticker and cover them?  You'll need to have stickers on hand to space the slabs apart for air drying.  Slabbing Could likely start at $100/hr.  Could easily take 3 hrs, maybe 4, plus travel.  But right now big nice walnut slabs are worth it.  Selling just one of the slabs could pay for the milling.

Post a pic of your log.  It's easy these days by having the pic on your computer and clicking the blue button while typing a post to add a photo.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

TKehl

Too big for my current equipment.  (48" max.)

If you are willing to trim 3-4 inches of width off the wide end, it would fit on more slabbers.  Keeping a full 63" width will need a Lucas dedicated slabber (or similar) or an Alaskan chainsaw mill.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Wes06

Yes I have a forklift to move it around.   I also would like to keep as wide as possible for a table or countertop

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Can you bring to to south Carolina?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Wes06

Thanks 
  If any way possible I'd like to stay with 200 miles from Decatur il .   South Carolina is alittle far for me.

Treehack

I'm in Bloomington, but I can only get 29" between guides, so would only be able to slab the 28" dimension.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Wes06

I like how close u are but I wish u could do 63".   If it comes down to it ill go with the narrow part but for now I'm still trying for the 63" thanks thought

Brad_bb

Wes06, there's a guy about 25 minutes west of me who has a Lucas slabbing mill.  I have not used him.  I'll PM you.   By the way, you can put your location (town and state) in your profile and it will show up in each of your posts.  That way people can better advise you when they know where abouts you are.  Do not cut your log narrower.  If you have the ability to load and haul it, what's a few hours driving?!

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Wes06 on April 17, 2018, 07:45:51 PM
Thanks
 If any way possible I'd like to stay with 200 miles from Decatur il .   South Carolina is alittle far for me.
I'm down by Findlay and can do 32" with my chainsaw mill.  I think that log is probably too heavy for my Logosol M7 though.  63"?  Wow!  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

nativewolf

Lots of guys have Lucas mills.  Keep looking and don't mess up that crotch.  The crotch looks great, very little sapwood; I am starting to have quite the stash of walnut crotch logs built up.
Liking Walnut

Savannahdan

Nice log.  It's going to take someone with at least a 6' CSM or wide BS to get you the 63" you're wanting.  I have a 56" CSM but it only nets out around 52-53".  Good luck.  
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Darrel

Check out this guy, I'm pretty sure his home built band mill would slice your log. 

https://www.mattcremona.com/
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

nativewolf

Quote from: Darrel on April 18, 2018, 09:56:50 AM
Check out this guy, I'm pretty sure his home built band mill would slice your log.

https://www.mattcremona.com/
Oh good idea.  Matt is very nice guy, he'll reply pretty quick too.  
Liking Walnut

Brad_bb

Remember that dining tables are 42 in wide max typically.    

Wes06

Thanks everyone for the info.  I have some thinking to do on what I wanna do with it

Brad_bb

Conference tables can be wider.

Wes06

If I decided to sell the log as is would it be worth anything?    Or if I was able to get it slabbed into 2" thick how much would the slabs be worth?

nativewolf

Well the issue is the 7'.  You may get 500-1000 for it depending upon the buyers.  I'd think the slabs would be worth more though, that's a local market.  Check your craigslist.
Liking Walnut

TKehl

1st step, slather some anchor seal on the ends to reduce checking.  Then relax.  Walnut will last a long time before significant degrade other than the sap wood usually gets darker.

It can be milled, just not a lot of equipment out there that can go that wide as it's pretty specialized.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Brad_bb

For reference, I'd pay $1/BF for that.  If I really wanted it, I'd pay $1.25/BF.  But I have plenty of Walnut right now.  It's difficult to estimate the board feet in that log due to the irregular shape.  Looking at the bottom, I'm going to assume 48" is the widest point, but you can see that the part that sticks out just appears on the lower 6".  So I'm going to take a diameter of 44" and find the BF on the Doyle scale and multiply by 70%.    So that's 700x.7= 490 BF.  So I'd pay about $490.  Just so you have some reference point.  If someone else is willing to pay more, great.  The other guy I know doesn't slab at all, but pays about the same for saw logs.  

The dollar value of milled, air dried slabs would be worth more in my opinion, but they you have to pay to cut and wait while they air dry.  Every step you do adds value to them.  If you then Kiln dry them after air drying, you add value.  If you then flatten them after kiln drying, you add more value.  The question is what do you want to do?

ToddsPoint

If it was cut in a timber, it might be worth $490.  If it's a yard tree I'd give you $100 tops for it because it might be full of metal.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

nativewolf

Keep in mind that the stem that was attached to might have fetched $3-10/bdft depending on quality and buyer and seller savvy.  

I'll give some pricing updates later next week as we start auctioning off a walnut harvest.  Always interesting and on this harvest many buyers are having to fly in to even make bids.  
Liking Walnut

Wes06

Thanks guys
I finally found someone online that's not to far from me.  It says he has a lucas slabber so I'm going to give him a call tomorrow an see if he can do it.   I'd still like to have it cut into slabs.   I know I guy who has a kiln so after I air dry them ill take it to him.  I know it will all take time an thats fine.    I may sell them as kiln dry slabs or I might try to finish them an make some sort table out of them as long as it all goes ok

WV Sawmiller

Congrats. I took a big walnut to a guy in the next county who had a Lucas slabber and he did a great job on mine. I am sure you will be well pleased.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!