iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to approach loggers?

Started by JoeyLowe, May 08, 2002, 10:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom_the_sawyer

I myself  have  dealt with a lot of loggers  always with respect and dignity  I see them fueling up  or at astore I make it a point to stop and ask for a buisness card or phone number  I always tell them im always buying logs and what kind im looking for give em my number and thak them for there  time. my mamma always said you catch more flies with honey than vinegar 8) 8) 8)

JoeyLowe

I really appreciate all of the good info given here.  I guess that I'll start following a log truck around and see what turns up.  On a more interesting note, I recently built a solar kiln and added a forklift.  That forklift is like having 4 dependable strong hands around all the time.  I loaded the kiln with red oak two days ago, so I figure about 4 weeks I'll have some pretty lumber to sell to boot.  Already sold about 2000 BF of green lumber via the Internet. Oh well, life goes on.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jeff

Joey how did you list your lumber on the internet. By a classified ad site? Auction? I would like to provide a place here for you guys but need to know what works.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JoeyLowe

Hi Jeff:

I sold some via Wood Web Lumber Exchange and a whole bunch more via the newsgroups that cater to woodworkers, woodturners, crafters, etc.  I also posted an ad on Woodfinder, but I haven't had any takers on that.  I think the key to the newsgroups was that I covered my costs and added a small markup for profit and then made an incredible deal to some of the regular posters.  I received 15 orders for quantities of at least 100 BF and one order for 700 BF within the first three hours. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Brian w

Well I am a logger andi have also attended college so not all loggers aren't doing it because they are to dumb to do anything else because to be a logger you also have to be a mechanic and other things that go along with it.   Now to answer your question a logger is no different than anyone else if you make it worth while to him he will usually be willing to help you out so if you see a log truck following it or go to your local sawmill you can get logs there also especially if you are only wanting a few logs at a time

Brian w

Just to be clear I have a sawmill that I sell my logs to and even cut for. I am loyal to them because of the working relationship that we have created but I am not in there pocket these kinds of statements will not get you anywhere with anyone that I know wether they are a logger or not

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on May 17, 2002, 10:30:49 AM
Joey how did you list your lumber on the internet. By a classified ad site? Auction? I would like to provide a place here for you guys but need to know what works.
That's a good idea Jeff.  :)
Never thought of that.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

16 years ago. I've learned a lot about the difficulties of determing shipping costs on anything since then. None of it good
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moodnacreek

You really need to buy the whole truck load at the loggers convenience and pay cash. The logger will expect you to scale the load on the ground and know what the logs are worth. If you can't pay market for certain logs, tell him before hand. Never refuse the load unless you really don't want him back.       If you have been sawing tree service logs you should see a big difference in loggers logs. Every cutter leaves his signature on the log.  If you don't know how to scale get some one who buys logs to show you.  I learned years ago and I am quite under educated.   Judge a man buy his honesty, his education is non of your business.

Peter Drouin

It can be fun when you ask for a load of logs from one logger or two and forget when the loads don't show up for two or more weeks. So you get a call from another logger with logs, Then they all show up the same week. A sawyer can spend $10,000 real fast.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

DanMc

I'm happy to see this thread resurrected after so many years.  I have been wondering this same thing: How do I get in touch with a logger to supply me with a few good logs.  I saw one logger working at his site, so I stopped and had a chat with him.  I also got a referral from a friend who gave me the phone number of a guy he trusted.  Now I have a half-load coming soon.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

4x4American

Going to a concentration yard might be a better option than going to the woods for some ppl
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I recommend approaching loggers very carefully. Make a lot of noise, maybe wear a bear bell. Try not to spook them.  :D An offering of coffee and donuts can entice them as well.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 25, 2018, 05:28:38 PM
I recommend approaching loggers very carefully. Make a lot of noise, maybe wear a bear bell. Try not to spook them.  :D An offering of coffee and donuts can entice them as well.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Good one.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!