iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody ever heard of or used a generation 2 oil filtration?

Started by CTL logger, August 27, 2013, 09:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

My dealer was telling me about this oil filtration system called generation 2. It filters oil and supposedly you can get 10000 hrs out of your hydraulic oil and 100000 miles on a truck they will do either system. The hydraulic kit is 630 bucks and filters are 34, the filter is 1 micron and looks like a roll of toilet paper. Just wondered if it's worth it.

marcusthgault

Hi,
My first post on this forum.
About a subject I am unqualified to comment apon.
But I will anyway.
Years ago I read a short report, on behalf of Caterpillar if I recall, warning against the use of non-Caterpillar filters, on Caterpillar engines.
Seems some particular brand of after-market filter was selling on the grounds of filtering to lower microns than Caterpillars own brand.
However this caused engine failures simply because the finer filter restricted oil FLOW.
Regardless of the finer detail, it did cause me to reflect on the possible blinkered counterproductive downside of chasing numbers beyond what is needed or necessary.
That said when doing my own limited motor maint I will buy filters on price as long as they are from a reputable (and probably OEM manufacturer) such as Fram or Mahle.
PS
I know nowt about saw-milling.
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

CTL logger

This system doesn't replace any filter, it has it's own lines and takes oil then filters it puts it back in system til all has been filtered. When I owned cat engines I never ran anything but cat filters they said it would void warranty otherwise. I didn't have a problem using cat filters they build a good one and the price was only a few bucks more than any other brand. They recommend taking oil samples on a regular basis and changing on what the sample analysis is. I was looking at this for my hydraulic systems that is a expensive oil change 100 gal of oil isn't cheap.

barbender

I'd check with your engine and hydraulic manufacturer. I don't trust the numbers the aftermarket propose, I can see how they work in principle, but I'm a bit skeptical. Most stuff I've read from oil manufacturers says you should follow reccomended drain intervals.
Too many irons in the fire

julio

I know a guy that put one on a new 1985 chevy truck ,oil filter relocate  new micron filter change the oil then and never changed it again he would change the filter fill it up with his oil  and if the oil was low  he would  put additives in motor ,he said the oil didn't break down it was the additives that did so that the reason he just put in additives in. the last time I knowed he had 350000 on the motor, and no problem with it
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

gspren

I believe what you are talking about is also called a bypass filter. They use a very fine filter and only filter a portion of the oil flow so even if it clogs completely your engine stays lubed.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

barbender

I did install an Amsoil remote bypass filtration system on my 97 Dodge Cummins, I ran it for a while and it seemed to keep the oil cleaner. However, the oil filters were proprietary to scamsoil  I mean amsoil and I really don't like dealing with them. I ordered filters once, had the order all submitted, and instead of filling the order they emailed me trying to get me to join their club and save 5% or something ::) It wasn't that big of a deal, just an annoyance, but I dislike having to order stuff in the first place. Plus the Dodge was getting to the point where it was leaking enough oil that was becoming kind of a natural "bypass" system anyways, just top it off with fresh stuff :D I took the system off, it's sitting in the shed. It might fit on an 8.3 Cummins ???  Some off the Cummins truck engine filters (ISX) have factory oil filters that have an internal bypass filtration. BTW, the term bypass refers to the fact these systems draw a small amount of the circulating oil and pass it through a finer filter than would be possible with your "full flow" regular filter. You can't get enough flow through a 1 micron filter to serve the engine's needs. The bulk of your oil goes through your full flow filter uninterrupted. Hope that makes sense. On the hydraulics, it seems I'm usually having enough mishaps that my oil is never really old. I put in 25 gallons in the last 2 days >:( There's nothing quite like the sound of all that oil running out of the bellypan after you quick shut it off.
Too many irons in the fire

ScottAR

I'm also unqualified to comment but that's never stopped me before.  ;)

I'm thinking the common term for what your talking about is a filter cart.   A system that you wheel over to a stationary (not operating during process) machine and attach hoses to I guess the tank drain and it pumps the fluid through the filter media and back into the tank fill.  I understand you move the controls slowly a couple times during this process to circulate all the fluid in the system and run the filter until the spec you want is met.  This the sum knowledge I have on this subject.

I like the concept if you have enough of a fleet to justify it. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

marcusthgault

CTL,
Bypass arrangment noted.
I also know that brand name propriaity truck engine manufacturers offer very long life i.e. in the regieon of 100,000 servicing options with this arrangment
(PS.......Caterpillars latest engine for loading shovels is it?.....................has a header tank that constantly replenshises the oil, such that the oil is never changed, only the filter, or so i read somewhere, i do hope it was not an April ed of the magazine)
Anyway, since the additives in any or all oil WILL eventually breakdown, the OIL has to be suitable for the planned duration between changes..
Regardless of how well it is filtered.
Cheers
Marcus
PS
Kramer (German loading shovel manufacturer) used to have the dealers stock a cart/tank/micron filter arrangment, that was used to change/service the oil in the shovels transmission/hydraulics.
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

Dom

We had a filtration system on a kart in the shop for machines that had gone out to demos or had worked on a few job sites. It worked good to make the oil clear again.
As you say, for the hydraulic oil it could save you some money. I'd rather have a system that I could hook up while I'm servicing the machine then have it on board at all times. Having a secondary system on board is just something else to leak and to maintain.
As others have mentioned, the oil will break down with time and it doesn't matter how much filtration you do to it.

Thank You Sponsors!