iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log boom (with pics)

Started by dustintheblood, June 09, 2018, 04:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustintheblood

Hey everyone,

So I volunteer on the board of an alpine climbing club and we have a cabin near a rock face.  The cabin's getting a facelift, so I brought down a few nice pines that are in the way of an expansion.

Water access only to the place, so we're gonna boom them across the lake so my log trucker can get em out of the water and back to my mill.

Anyone ever rafted logs?  For clarity, we are putting them in the water and pulling them all together as a boom.  How do you link the outer logs together so that the ones in the middle stay put while you pull them with the boat?

Thanks,
G
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

47sawdust

Check with Quebecnewf.He does it every year.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Stuart Caruk

Used to fly for a boom contractor in B.C. years ago. They made rafts of logs miles long to tow down the coast to the mills in Vancouver. Tired it myself in Honduras. Found out that just because you can float softwoods logs over from the mainland, you can't particularily do that with all hardwood logs... 

Google rafting logs down the B.C. coast or look up the "Beachcombers" T.V. show. There's a crotchety old dude named relic that was my inspiration for building my first jetboat. He survived by salvaging logs that broke free from the rafts and selling them to the smaller mills.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

dustintheblood

There have already been plenty of Nick and the Persephone jokes flying here.  As a tried and true Canadian, we all wish one day to visit Molly's Reach.  (Man I'm old now)

QuebecNewf....now there's a great idea!  I'll PM him in a bit....
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

mike_belben

In the steam days big buoyant logs went down first and got lashed together then small less buoyant stuff got craned ontop the mat loose.

I watch black n white logging vids on youtube when i do dishes to remind me that.. Dang, i got it good!
Praise The Lord

dustintheblood

Just got back from a weekend to do the felling, skidding and yup - we built the log boom and floated it about a mile.  Didn't lose a single stick.

Pics to come as soon as I get a rest

8) 8) 8)

dustintheblood

nativewolf

That's just great.  Fun to see some guys enjoying a bit of work.
Liking Walnut

dustintheblood

That dang tree had a 15 degree lean over the cabin.  Plus I only had about a 2' wide target to lay it down onto.

Nailed it  :)

The big rock in the background is where we climb.  It's about 300' vertical with some inverted faces.

Have to say wearing my hardhat with a wetsuit and lifejacket on was a first for me hahahaha

mike_belben

That looks like an adventure brochure
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Looks good. 
That rock you climb looks almost bigger than the ones I have on The Farm.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

Now I need a rig like that to take mine out of the water and I would be all set. 

Great pics and glad it went well . The outboard is a great tool for small tows . Be careful not to take too many at one time with a light boat . You may be doing fine and then you strike a bit of wind or current and you realize the logs are now towing you. Ask me how I know. 

Great job

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!