iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winterizing Lube-Mizer?

Started by Dave Shepard, October 18, 2008, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I pulled the jug off of the mill yesterday, and ran the pump until it stopped pumping. Will that get enough of the water out of the system? Or should I make up a jug to hook on the hose and pump some windshield washer fluid through it at the end of the day? Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

i always stick the tube down in straight windshield washer fluid.  it gets colder where you are than where I am...

i have a 20oz bottle that I use to stick the hose end into.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

MartyParsons

No! If your Lube Mizer pump freezes it will blow a 4 amp fuse. If it is a hard freeze it can brake the pump plastic. You can make a little jug with windshield antifreeze and make sure it makes the line to the nozzle blue.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

I do as Dan does.  I just pump straight windshield wiper fluid until it runs blue out the other end.  I don't have a special bottle,  I just use the gallon jug it comes in.

I'll bring the 5 gallon Wood-Mizer bottle in the house if I'm not sure there is enough windshield washer mix to keep it from freezing.

Got down to 40 last evening.  About time to stock up on winter stuff.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Got down to 55 last night.   ......built a fire.

Dave Shepard

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll make up a jug that will screw onto the hose fitting. I think it is standard garden hose thread.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wannabeonetoo

Got down to -5C last night (don't have a mill to worry about freezing the lube ,but wish I did, hence the "handle of WANNABEONETOO". I can live vicariously through you guys ;D) :D :D.

Steve

Robert Long

Hay wannabeonetoo

Are the lakes freezing up yet? :D

Robert

wannabeonetoo

C'mon robert, you know we've got a month to go ;D This is just nice workin' weather :D :D
I've been waitin' all summer long for these comfortable temps.
   Steve

Chuck White

I suppose RV antifreeze would work even a little better than WS washer.
It's +16°F here right now.
Gotta wait until the sun gets out of bed and warms things up a bit.  If not, I don't think my dripper would drip!
I have 10,000 bf of custom sawing (w-pine) to do on the customers site, about 6 miles from home.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

just_sawing

I run straight windshield antifreeze in the winter here. With the lubemizer it doesn't inpact the overhead that back. The problem that I found was I still froze up. I worked and work until I found the problem. Hear in TN they think that it is aceptable to call windshield antifeeze that freezes at 30 F. I love it. The good stuff is on the same shelf same blue and same price.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

backwoods sawyer

I take a different approach.
I have a splice in my line on the right side of the head. (Slip couple from oxygen line you get at the doctors) I disconnect the line at the tank and the splice and use an air tank to blow the water out of the lines and pump. No water left to freeze. If it is freezing out when I start the mill, I use a RV antifreeze mix in the jug.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sparks

Here is the washer solvent mixture ratio.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Dave Shepard

Thanks sparks. When I finished sawing today, I stuck the hose in a jug of washer fluid and pumped it through the system. I keep the lube jug in the shop at night. A gallon jug of washer should last me a while.

Dave

ED B

In winter here in PA, it is just easier to use winshield washer fluid with your lube mix, Just add pine sol and dawn
Do It With WOOD!

petefrom bearswamp

Learned the hard way about freezing.
I am a hobby guy with an expensive toy.
Got busy deer hunting and forgot to take the jug off and drain the system.
Broke the sediment bowl/filter but fortunately it got warm (up to 35 or so F) and I was able to drain the rest with no apparent damage to the pump..
Got to get a new bowl, WM probably will want a small fortune plus not too cheap shipping.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DR Buck

Quote from: just_sawing on October 19, 2008, 07:55:42 AM
I run straight windshield antifreeze in the winter here. With the lubemizer it doesn't inpact the overhead that back. The problem that I found was I still froze up. I worked and work until I found the problem. Hear in TN they think that it is aceptable to call windshield antifeeze that freezes at 30 F. I love it. The good stuff is on the same shelf same blue and same price.

I found out this past weekend you need to read the fine print.   I had a milling job scheduled and both my water tanks were a solid block of blue ice along with all the lines.   I usually use the mix Sparks posted without any trouble.   However, I didn't read the small fine print on the last case I bought.  It said "0° C".    :D :D :D    Not what I call antifreeze.   

Fortunately I have one of those big construction turbine kerosene heaters.  I took off the side panel where the pump is and set it up to blow onto the mill.  Thawed it all out in about 20 minutes.

QuoteBroke the sediment bowl/filter

I made the mistake of unscrewing mine with ice still in it.   The bowl is good but I twisted the screen filter right off.   :(     I guess I will find out what they cost. this week.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!