iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lake Michigan Area

Started by Bro. Noble, June 29, 2004, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Our family is planning a vacation along the first week in August.  We plan to drive around Lake Michigan and eat some pig along the way.  What else is a must see or do?  We'll start from Milwaukee and go UP across the big bridge and go down through central lower Michigan.  We've been in those places before but didn't have local residents to advise us.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

chet

Well let's see........OH....OH.....I know. Ya ain't never been to my place.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Chester, you will probably be here. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

OH YA   ???  

Oh well   :-/  Maybe dey can still stop an see where I would a been, if I wuz still dar.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

What kind of stuff to you want to see?
What is your travel range? Are you willing to go to Lake Superior?

Bro. Noble

We like nature and history.  Unfortunately,  we won't have time to go to Lake Superior as that is one of our favorite places.  Our quartet has a program on July 30th,  we need to be the pig roast on Aug 7th and need to visit my mother-in-law in Milwaukee in between.  We'll pretty much be limited to stuff along the route.

Jeff

Well, Ya gotta see old mill creek and hartwick pines. Both are just easy offs from the roads you will be traveling.

Bro. Noble

Bro. Noble

Furby,

Wife says we might have time to go along the southern shore of Lake Superior in the UP of Michigan.  That is an area I don't believe we have ever visited.  Is that where you meant?  are there some places worth visiting in that area?

Thanks

trim4u2nv

If you come around the southeast side of the lake visit Hesston Indiana.  They have a steam powered sawmill and locomotives and threshing machines at their outdoor museum.
http://www.hesston.org/Hesston_Web/exhibits.htm

Bro. Noble

Thanks,

We will be going through that area and that's my kind of stuff.

Jeff

trim4u2nv

If you really like trains, try the illinois railway museum in McHenry
west of chicago.
http://www.irm.org/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi
If you like beaches and sand dunes try the indiana dunes national lakeshore in indiana.  Or try the warren dunes state park in michigan.   Also for boat lovers there is  Holland Michigan  Chris Craft factory (may still give tours.)

jtmccallum

Whitefish Point and and the Soo Locks are pretty neat. Antlers restuarant in the Soo makes a unique lunch stop.  I think the Superior shore is more interesting than Lake Michigan.  Fayette State Park is along L. Michigan about 20 mi. south of US 2.  It's an old iron smelting town.  Here's a link to some light house stuff.  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4278/whitefish.html                                                                 John
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

whitepe

Noble,
Anything in Michigan is cool.  Stop a few minutes
at the Cut River bridge on the North Shore of
Lake Michigan.  I'll burn you a CD of pictures
from Old Mill Creek and Hartwick Pines and send it
to you.
Becky and I can't make it to Michigan
until August 10th.  I wish we could make Jeff's
shindig but we can't  My co-worker is going
to the U.K. July 31st and I gotta hold down the
fort the first week of August. Also, Becky's brother is
is in Indiana until August 8th and Becky's parents
are bringing his two kids to Illinois until Aug. 7th.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Ron Scott

Don't forget the "Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Museum" and lighthouse north of Paridise, MI; the "Iroquois Point Lighthouse" near Brimely, MI and the "Soo Locks" at Sault Ste. Marie, MI
~Ron

Bro. Noble

Thanks a bunch guys,

We love waterfalls,  lighthouses,  and museums.  We've been to the locks and really enjoyed them.  Now the problem is finding time to get to all these places.

We're really looking forward to this trip and topping it off by meeting new friends at the pigout 8)

Furby

Yep, that's what I was thinking about, Bro.  ;)
A lot of of what I had in mind have already been mentioned.
But I'd like to add the "Log Slide" area to the list, it offers a great view. And also Crisp Point Lighthouse, if you can spare the couple hours, round trip from the tequamenon falls. It's well worth the drive!

whitepe

Bro. Noble,
I've got another idea.... just retire and do sightseeing full time.
Get Becky to come down and milk cows for you full time.
 ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

Well Perry,

If Brecky really wants to,  I guess I could force myself to give it a try :D

Wish it had worked out so that the Whites could attend the pigout

Kevin

Hey Bro;
If you fix yourself up a bit they might let you come into Canada on a day pass.  :D

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

We plan on going to the Soo Locks as we were there before and really enjoyed it.  I guess that's as close to Canada as we'll get this time.  We really like the drive around the North shore of Lake Superior and are looking forward to the shore in the UP.

I am looking forward to meeting you at the pigout,  but I hope you remember to bring your medication :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!