iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV's

Started by Jeff, April 12, 2007, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does anyone know anything about the ATV's that Tractor Supply sells as to quality and such? I think the brand name is Manco
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I don't know about the current ATVs, but I believe Manco started out as a supplier of go-kart kits and parts. They have been around a long time I believe.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Engineer

Only thing I'd worry about is when it breaks, who does the repair work?  Our local TS sells 'em, and I have looked them over and decided that to me, they looked "cheap".  For the same price you can probably get a really nice 2- or 3-year old "name brand" ATV at a local dealer, something with 200 hours on it, and be much better off.  Manco's website doesn't tell you much.  On the positive side, they do have a long history of small-scale motorsports products.

stonebroke

You generally get what you pay for! I like honda and I have had them all over the years.

Stonebroke

sprucebunny

Get an older, used but not abused Honda. They seem to last really well.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ironwood

Ditto all the above. It's a nice thought (cheap, products) but you'll end up short in the long run.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mike_van

We had 2 Manco Dingo go carts,  bought them used, kids raced them around for years, sold them for almost what I'd paid for them. If the atv's are as good as the karts, I wouldn't have a problem buying one. Pretty sure they're made in the USA.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Mooseherder

One issue I think they would have is the 260cc Motor is too small.
I don't think it would handle long distance riding we do.
My nephew's 350 Yamaha winds out  with him trying to keep up and we aren't going fast.
The Manco is as Big as my Suzuki Vinson 500 with half the motor. I can't see that happenin'. :)

Reddog

For the putsing I do in the woods, I would think about one.
They look like a copy of a old polaris. There was not much to go wrong on them.
But I agree if you are planning on railing the trails hard, might not keep up well with the larger machines.
Funny thing I had a lot of 200cc 3 wheelers, worked great for me.
Now if it is not 700cc's it a baby.

Jeff

I looked at the Manco's today and agree with what Norm said. They just seem to look real cheap. I may have to start thinking about getting rid of my old hobby toys in order to get something like an ATV to work with and enjoy on the new hobby, the property.  I hate to think about getting rid of my hit and miss's and the drag saw but it dont make sense to keep them around when I dont have time to show them and the money could go towards a quad. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lud

Bought a Polaris 2x4  about 15 years ago.  Could go down to the barn and she'll start  right up to run me back to the lake no problem.

That CVT is smooth.  Get too much juice too quick on some hi-power 4x4 - you'll get hurt.  Look to buy an old one from an old guy who took it easy and you'll get a lot of value for a low investment.

Same as tractors, Jeff.  What's the perfect vintage?  Not real old and not real new, right? ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dave Shepard

Now that this thread is shifting direction I am going to put in my .02, HONDA!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

johncinquo

I have gone there and back.  My ATV is a 6 cylinder, 3.0 liter, 4wd, heated, wonder buggy!   OK a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo.  $500!  Another 120 odd dollars into air filter, a few wires, used gas tank, and oil and fuel filters.   Dont have registration, dont have insurance.   I only drive it through the woods, use it like an ATV, seats 4 people.  If I get lonely, I can turn on the AM/FM radio.  As of now it still has the top, doors, windows, as soon as I get a lean-to built, the sawzall is getting a work out and the rodeo is going topless!   I can sell all the glass and doors for more that I paid for the thing.  I dont want to sit on wet seats, so I havent modified it yet. 
I weighed all the benefits of a quad, the costs, ($6000 for a new quad!) what it can actually pull, engine size, the expensive tires, and figured I could do something better.   I wanted a Geo/Chevy tracker, but they are hard to find in decent shape in MI, and at a great expense.  NICE lil trucks to bang around the bush and still better than a quad.   When the rodeo came up I figured I would give it a try.  Still Bigger than what I really want, but it pulls the firewood out better than any 300 cc quad ever could. 
go through a mud hole a few times on a quad, the go through in a lil truck, you'll appreciate the difference. 
If you have to get a quad, the hondas are very good.  I prefer a polaris, with the transmission that works like a snowmobile, that way anubody that shows up is able to drive the thing.  But, you have to be careful pulling any real weight with the belt drive. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Engineer

My idea of the ideal ATV is a JD Gator HPX Diesel.  Don't own one yet but I've sure driven 'em around a lot, and they are fun woods buggys.

isawlogs

I will put my two pennys in here too    ;D  Hondas are good bikes . A lot of them around , I have a fourtrax 350 , ya its an oldy 1986  ;)

8) 8)  So what do you plan on doing with the bike .. that will help all of us decide what you should get .  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

Engineer,

I am hopefully trading my used HPX gasser for a used HPX diesel this week or next. Both came from my dealer, but were originally owned by my buddy (he needs NEW toys). I upgraded to 12" rims and Goodyear "Runflats" Expensive tire but OHHH nice. I thought I would have to run my old 10" tires with chains this winter for plowing, but even though the runflat is an aggressive mud tire it did outstanding in the snow (I have no clue why). I have a 6 1/2' Meyer power angling plow custom fitted to the front. I have custom racks ON the HPX for 11'  logs, and pull a custom log arch on the back. At first I thought I had made a mistake with buying a Gator, after looking and relooking, NO MISTAKE. It is my work horse, used for business and farm use. It won't go over 25 mph, but I don't want to go faster. I have visited ALL the dealers, the only thing out there that I regret not having is power steering (Kubota).  The NEW Gator top of the line (UTV or some such acronim) has my same 12" rim and independent rear suspension, for my heavily loaded use the independent rear suspension would be tippy (My dealer even told me this) on off angle areas while heavily loaded.  So, hopefully I will ppick up my diesel next week and change everything over. I don't plan on any upgrade for the next 20 years.

I have a friend with a little Suzuki, or Geo custoomized for woods work and if the choice is something bigger they can be an affordable option.

Reid

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sid

I've  had Yamaha three- wheeler,Honda TRX250,two wheel drive, four -wheeler,Polaris Sportsman 400 and 500. The smaller four- wheeler is less tiresome to ride and if you get it stuck is much easier to get out. The speed on the ones I had are not enough to fuss about. The Yamaha and the Honda ran 55mph on a hard surface with the tires tight,and the polaris  were around 60mph. I had less trouble with the Honda and the Yamaha. The heaver the machine the better the ride. I guess there is none perfect! Just my two cents............

Robert R

This is the only way to go if you want to be in style!

chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Corley5

I've got a 250 Honda Recon 2wd.  It works for me.  I use it for running around the farm when the truck isn't required.  It's considerably more efficient.  I've got a 25 gallon sprayer mounted on the back rack too.  It'll spray 30'wide and also has a hand wand for spot spraying.   8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ironwood

Robert R.

I saved the life of one of those TWICE this winter with the crane on the back of my truck, The 39 year old girl couldn't get herself up off the ground, first in her stall (had to winch her out, then lift her). The second time in the arena. I perfer passionate horse women, keep the horses elsewhere. My equipment requires oil changes and fuel. If I lived in Wyoming I would HAVE to have a horse. I live in Pa.

;D Reid

scsmith42

Robert, nice transportation (and I can relate!)

The one advantage that a 4 wheeler has over a horse... if you get hard up on bucks, the 4 wheeler can stay parked in the garage and your expenditures drop to zilch.  Sure can't say the same for the hayburners...

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

The Gator style is something that is easy to step into (and step out of), and don't have to throw a leg over. Good seat with back rest too.  I find mine pretty handy and it goes plenty fast. Also, the dump box is great for carrying tools and for dumping brush, debris, etc that accumulates. I'd opt for the 4x4 HPX style if I ever upgrade. There are others  besides Deere.
Lots of options. But whatever ya like...... ;D

scsmith42
Them's some powerful lookin ponies.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

solodan

This is what you need Jeff. 8)

Fun and work 8)

As far as work goes, the Gator and the Mule are better geared towards working, but that is if you are on fairly gentle ground. Both are rough terrain vehicles, but are no way All Terrain Vehicles. The Yamaha is an all terrain hill and rock crawler, and goes faster than the rest, about 41mph, but for a couple hundred bucks you can choose from a number of after market cdi boxes for the Yamaha Rhino that will get you closer to 60MPH.  As a matter of fact you could spend your lifes savings on after market accesories for the Rhino. I can pull 16' logs all day long with mine, and my log arch, as long as they are under 25" in diameter to fit in the arch. I moved a 42" x 16 foot sugar pine up a hill to position it better for the mill, with just a chain. It has lockers all the way around, I also have a 72" plow with a 12 volt actuator lift and down pressure. They are more expensive than an ATV, but more useful. They are also only 52" wide, barley wider than an atv. :)

blaze83

any one use this site or know anything about it? I will be in the market for an ATV myself come June or early July. gave my notice at work and to the apartment manager...I truely am headed to Ohio....

http://www.bestpriceatvs.com/
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Brad_S.

OK, I'll be the spoil sport and toss this out. ;)

Are you sure an ATV is the right machine for the tasks at hand? I can't imagine owning a large tract of  land that needs cleaning up and not own a tractor. Sure, they're not as fun on off time or on hunting expeditions, but they're more effecient at chores like hard mowing, heavy pulling, lifting, etc.

Actually, I'm just jealous. I'd love a quad runner but can't justify it.......yet. ;D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!