iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG CEDARS

Started by CLL, May 31, 2007, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

Finally getting some big cedars.  Logs range mostly 14"-19" and 8'6" long wiht one 17", 12 footer.  Going to cut them into cants until I find a market for them.  Total of 1452 bd ft. sure made the old K2500GMC work!
Too much work-not enough pay.

WDH

Post some pics.  I would like to see that cedar. 

I am making a cedar blanket chest.  The tree that I cut the lumber from was growing in a little swale in an upland hardwood forest.  It was 19" DBH and 85 feet tall.  I cut some clear cedar from the butt log.  I counted the rings and stopped at 150 years a couple of inches from the pith because it was doty and I could not count any more rings.  Must have been growing there since the War of Northern Aggression.

I will post some pics when get home.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

How's these for Big Eastern Red Cedar ???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

Looks like to me CLL you got more than 1500 BF. Those are nice logs.  8)

WDH these are a couple of the pics CLL downloaded into his gallery.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

CLL

Kevjay, appreciate you posting the pictures for us. My wife said she had to jump through hoops to get them in.She thought they was in the post, instead they went to gallery. Oh well, alls well that ends well.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Saki

WOW! I have not had the chance to slice up any ERC that size and that nice, congratulations on your find. Cedar is few enough and far enough between this far north that i have cut some, but nothing that nice. I make Christmas ornaments from it, and often start on the outside of the log taking off 3/8 or 1/2 inch at a pass, let it dry, plane it to a 1/4 inch and go to scroll-sawin. The white sapwood makes a nice contrast within the ornament, and they small great. Once I get it worked down to a square cant, I go to sawin 1 bys, normally.Good luck with your project.

Cedarman

Saki, I looked at a nice patch about 20 miles east of you about 10 years ago.  Don't know if they ever cut it or not.  Had a bunch of nice big trees.  So there are some cedars not too far from you.

If you run short I've got some bargain stacks of less than 1/2".
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

Those are some really nice logs, CLL.  I just had two trees, and I was feeling real good about it.  You have a whack of logs :).  Like I said, post some pics when you open up those beauties.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

solodan

Hey, the title reads BIG CEDARS. not Big ERC.

Y'all can't keep us west coast boys out of this. :D Here ya go BIG CEDAR.

Cedarman

I visited a nice bunch of those WRC in Idaho.  Took a walk through them.  Just amazed at how big they could get.  And to think, I bought a load yesterday that averaged 2" on the small end.

CLL, nice whack o'logs.  Those will be pleasant to saw.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dave Shepard

solodan, that's a DanG big cedar! I seldom see one over 10" around here, not sure what variety it is though.

CLL, the next time you make a post and want to add a picure, click on "Image Achive" and go to the picture you want. Then click "add to post" and the IMG code will be in you post.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

solodan

Dave that's an Incense Cedar.  Another tree that looks similar is this Sierra Redwood, but they get WAY BIGGER

Dave Shepard

:o I'd like to get out there and see some of those giants someday.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

sawguy21

They will humble you. I thought I had seen big cedar here but the redwoods put ours to shame :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

I got a Peterson that's itchin' ta saw up a biggun again........

Let me know if one a them blows down.... :D :D :D :D

I don't care if gas is $6.00 a gallon  ;)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

solodan

Funny thing is, that one was in a grove about an hour from my place, I was not that impressed with this grove. It is in the Tuolumne Grove in Yosemite. I have seen much larger ones.

Burlkraft, I think we would have to build you a wider frame..... much wider. ;)

My guess is that this one is about 18-20 feet in diameter, the largest I have stood next to is about 27 feet in diameter and  the General Sherman is 36.5 feet in diameter at the base, 17.5 feet at 60 feet up and still 14 feet at 180 feet above the ground.  :o and Burlkraft the largest branch on the General Sherman is about the size of the one you guys sawed up. 6.8 feet. :o :o :o :o That is just unbelievable. Even when you are standing right next to one.
:)

Gary_C

Steve could probably just stand that Peterson upright and take some slabs off the side just as she stands.  ;D

Where there is a will there is a way.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Quote from: solodan on June 02, 2007, 03:21:23 PM
:o and Burlkraft the largest branch on the General Sherman is about the size of the one you guys sawed up. 6.8 feet. :o :o :o :o That is just unbelievable. Even when you are standing right next to one.
:)

I've been out ta see those trees many times. I spent a quite a time in Eureka with some friends. I've power washed root burls as long as a semi and 8" high........

Then they kicked me out of the region fer slobberin' all over the trees... ;D ;D :D :D :D

They are the coolest trees I've ever seen......
Why not just 1 pain free day?

MemphisLogger

Cll,

If I were you, I'd slice them up thick 6/4 or 8/4 and as wide as you can . . .

25" wide

And make something truly unique (and most valuable) from them . . .

I'm sure I'll have some clients in the future who would pay $10 or more per bdft.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

solodan

Scott that is real nice, I remember you showing us that one before. Really great work, worth every bit of $10/bf. I cut some wide stuff as well. I am getting ready to cut a piece of white fir for a guys kitchen island. 8' long 4' wide live edge. I will post pics when I get further along. I think if I did not know the guy and he had not givin me such a deal on some concrete he would have been looking closer to $30/bf.

MemphisLogger

Quote from: solodan on June 03, 2007, 01:28:41 PM
worth every bit of $10/bf.

8' long 4' wide live edge.  I think if I did not know the guy and he had not givin me such a deal on some concrete he would have been looking closer to $30/bf.

If another woodworker wants to buy it for one of their commissions it's $20/bdft  ;)

My pricing goes up exponentially past 2'  :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

limbrat

Those are perty erc when they get much bigger than that here you can expect heart rot.
ben

TexasTimbers

I have noticed, based on comments from others in verious regions of the states, that ERC has heartrot at different sizes. I remember reading somewhere on the forum someone sayin it is prevelant in most trees over over 20".  But I rarely see it in trees  in that range and up to 30" it is common to find the tree still solid. That is, when you can find them that big anymore. The trees I find in the 24" - 30" range anymore are in onsies and twosies sprinkled within a stand or on an old fenceline (I cut them anyway anymore, metal and all). The closer you get to 30" the more you will find them punky and even hollow, but I'm going to guess still half or better I have taken down that size`have been solid.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

This one count?

Western red on the 'Misty Isles'.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!