iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peeling a 38 Special Canoe off the Forms

Started by Woodbender, June 04, 2007, 03:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

8)

Well she came off the forms - took a little convincing but she's off and in one piece.  Just about had an aneurysm on Saturday when we went to unbolt the frontmost bow form the bolt was too long (we built the hull too close to it!). I was about ready to blow every capillary in my body. But here she is.

She's not been cleaned up at all. In other words you'll see some glue drips inside and the epoxy drips are still not sanded off the shearline edge (the drips that look like icicles going upwards in a couple of these photos).

Here's another shot from the right rear of the stern.  This was done with System Three Silvertip Series Laminating Epoxy and man for a first timer this stuff was just the bee's knees.  It went on easy and was very forgiving as far as generating foam while spreading around.

This last one is an optical illusion;  the parallel stips on the bottom make it look flat but truely it's not. If you look at the temporary brace at the middle of the canoe, it's shadow shows quite nicely the tumblehome curve of this model.

This last one is at the stern looking towards the bow. It shows some of the tremendous twisting some of these strips had to go through on their way to the bow.  We have some slight over-beveling joints to fill but the filler is made with epoxy thickened with cedar flour so it will be slightly darker and will look like a nice contrast if you see it at all.  If you don't notice the joints I'm not going to point them out!  ;D

Thanks you guys for looking.  It's been a great father/son project and Chris (son) will be the proud new owner of a solo tripping canoe.

After looking at the preview - the reduced photo quality doesn't the shots justice. But if you want a closer look feel free to come to our page which documents the whole process.
http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/projects4.html
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

metalspinner

That's really incredible.  What a beautiful project!  I'm sure that solo canoe ride will always have plenty of on-lookers.  Be ready to have several offers made to you for that beauty. 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Grawulf

Ohhhhhhhhhhh................I am so stinkin' jealous Woodbender. >:(  :D I've been going to build one going on 20 years now - guess it's time. You two built a beauty! How much she weigh before trimming out?     Devan

thecfarm

I really can not say enough about how good that looks.That is a fine looking job.How old is your son?That will be talked about for years to come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

That is one fine lookin canoé , just awsome .  8) 8)
I want to build one out of birch bark , wont be for a few years or till I get another shop .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Woodbender

Grawulf - right now we're estimating about 24 pounds.  A friend of mine built the exact same model and it weighed out at 39 pounds finished.  Far cry from the 75 pounders we were lugging around up in the Minnesota boundary waters.

CFarm - Chris is 17 going on 30.  Mostly muscle and appetite. And a wolfish grin.

MetalSpinner - we've already talked about potential offers. She's not for sale - she's married to Chris. Besides - a finished cedar stripper goes for anywhere from $2800 to $5000 each.  But even if someone plopped down $5000 cash we wouldn't take it.

Some things can't be bought.

'Preciate the comments guys.  You're welcome to go look around on our webpage.
Chris is a bowyer too by the way.
http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)

dundee

Dan_Shade

that's really, really nice.

I'd love to make one of them, but I'm not sure if there are woods suitable to doing that in our local forests.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Woodbender, it would be really cool if you and Chris and family could make it to the pig roast here in Harrison. You could bring that canoe along and show it off. We'd love to see it in person. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

8) 8) 8)

Furby and I could give it a try in da pool  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

SwampDonkey

Naw, I'm thinking we should go salmon fishing on the Miramichi.  See how well she does maneuvering around the boulders in the upper tributaries. ;D

Nice work Woodbender and son.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

That is simply stunning.

Absolutely no other word. Breathtakingly stunning.

You must be VERY proud of it.

Have had a wander around your website, thanks for the link! Chelsea is gorgeous, by the way!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

asy

Ok, sorry, now I have questions...

Where did you get the "pattern", can you buy them?

How long did it take?

How much experience would you need to make something like this?

what would you recommend to be a good "starting project" for someone wanting to finish up making such a canoe?

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Qweaver

Double Wow!  Your website is great also.  Thanks
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Woodbender

Asy - Good morning (or is it evening in your hemisphere?)

To answer a couple of your questions.

It is a pattern yes - it is called the 38 Special (no really).  It is 3.8% larger than it's smaller sister the Merlin. Both hull patterns are available here either to purchase the canoe outright or to build it from their plans. http://www.northwestcanoe.com/

How long did it take?  We are victims of Michigan weather with no workshop other than our attached two car garage. In other words if it's raining we can't rip 18 foot long pieces of ash and cedar because you need 18 feet going into the saw and at least 18 feet coming out. No room for that in my garage.  So we got hung up last year due to weather and we actually had to suspend operations (literally).  We had to hoist the strongback to the rafters so the family mama could get her car in the garage  during the winter.  We are under a herculean effort to get her in the water before summer's gone. (again)

Experience? If you have any kind of woodworking experience at all you could pull this off. However I would solidly recommend a book to read first.  One for sure to read is Canoecraft put out by Ted Moores of Bear Mountain Boats.  It is regarded by many to be the authoritative work on educating complete idiots, boobs, twits and morons on first time building a canoe (so I qualify in any one of those categories - take yer pick).

That particular book has some very good "starter projects" with instructions on how to read those plans.  Canoe /boat plans are not like normal (house) plans.

I'd be glad to answer any questions for you.

Oh!  A great place to hang out with a bunch of other builders is Ted Moores builder's forum. It's at; http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2/index.php and it's a great place for newbies and wannabies to gather information or just plain drool.

Quote from: asy on June 05, 2007, 08:08:52 AM
Ok, sorry, now I have questions...

Where did you get the "pattern", can you buy them?

How long did it take?

How much experience would you need to make something like this?

what would you recommend to be a good "starting project" for someone wanting to finish up making such a canoe?

Tim Eastman (Woodbender)

Woodbender

Jeff - I finally found the icon on the main page (couldn't see it?) for Aug 4th.  Do you have a map for the Harrison location somewhere on this site or does everyone "just know" how to get there??  ;D  Finding Harrison is not the problem but I need to know where-abouts around Harrison the Pig Roast is.

Quote from: Jeff B on June 04, 2007, 09:45:38 PM
Woodbender, it would be really cool if you and Chris and family could make it to the pig roast here in Harrison. You could bring that canoe along and show it off. We'd love to see it in person. :)
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)

Wildflower

Woodbender,
go to Jeff profile and put your zip code in where it says: Enter zip for directions to this members town. And it will give you directions to our home.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Woodbender

Quote from: Wildflower on June 06, 2007, 02:30:09 PM
Woodbender,
go to Jeff profile and put your zip code in where it says: Enter zip for directions to this members town. And it will give you directions to our home.

Oh - yeah - I knew that.  No really. *heh*

(thanks)
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)

Thank You Sponsors!