iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some info on internet hookup while traveling

Started by Don K, June 05, 2007, 02:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

We are taking a family vacation to Williamsburg, VA in a coupla weeks. My daughter is in her summer quarter at school. She is having mid-terms the week we are gone. The only way she got to go with us is that her instructors said she could do her work on her laptop and take her exams online. We will be staying at a hotel that has internet in the room. My question is what will I need to get her online. Naturally I will need a cable to go from the jack to the puter. That's were you guys come in. Can I log on to internet and the hotel will have a provider availible or will I need one of those trial disc from AOL or others. I use Bellsouth internet at home.

Has anyone got some experience in this situation and can give me some real time advice.

Don       
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

The first thing to do is set up a dial up for Bellsouth using a local number for Williamsberg. This will be your back up plan.

Most hotels that offer internet connections will require that your computer has a network card installed. That is your responsibility. Once you arrive, they will have instructions on how to configure your computer to use thier network. Make sure you take a network cable to hook your computer network card to their network jack in the room. They are commonly refered to as patch cables. If you need help setting any of it up, give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tomboysawyer

Some hotels charge for Internet access and others don't.

Many hotels have wireless now too. Some hotels have only wireless.

Is your laptop wireless ready? If not, you can purchase a wireless card at any place that sells computer supplies. Packing your own network cable (which looks like a phone cable, but the ends are bigger) is also a good plan.

There are many places offering free wireless - Starbucks and soon McDonalds top the big-name list. Most local libraries also have internet access and wireless hotspots.

Me? I'd do a search for "wireless hotspots Williamsburg, VA" and see what you turn up.

beenthere

I use free download of Mozilla Thunderbird to get on line, as well as I use it at home (don't use the phone co. where I have my DSL account)

Thunderbird

When I'm on the road, I have it loaded already, and go to it through the cable or wireless in the room. Just like home. Most I've found when travelling the last couple years are wireless, and free with the hotels pass number.

I recently read where some fellow in Michigan was fined $400 for using someone else's wireless, and it was outside a coffee shop. There is an old statute ('70's) on the MI books that was stumbled on, and the local prosecuter just couldn't bring herself to ignore it. Rather than fight it, the guy paid the fine.

However, he made the mistake (IMO) of saying he was on the internet when the cops stopped to see why he was sitting in front of the coffee shop every noon hour (they thought he was spying on someone) using his laptop. He said, he was just getting on the internet. Even though the proprietor of the coffee shop said he offered the service for free, they booked him for being in public and using the service. Strange law.

Wireless is the best way to go. But others have given the other options.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Sounds like a load of fish to me. Must be one busy guy to not want to get a lawyer and have that tossed. Free but fined. Hmm. The prosecutor has no love life evidently and is taking it out on the general populace.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

If your laptop is wireless ready, see if the hotel has wireless. Sometimes you will connect as soon as you boot up, sometimes you have to go to  start/connect to/wireless conections

Test it first Don. Perhaps they have wireless at her school? Tomboy sawyer's suggestion of a search for hotspots is a good idea, but start at home to see where you might test your computer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don K

I called the hotel and they have wireless in the lobby and the rooms have the jack and cable, He told me all we will have to do is hookup and open explorer and it will go to their homepage. They will give us a access code to enter and we will be good to go.

All ya'lls suggestions have got me to thinking though that I need to get her a wireless card. Thanks, Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Don,

I travel a lot (like now :D), and I hook up wireless 90% of the time.  Go ahead and get a wireless card.  You (she....of course.  I never for a moment thought that it was so that you could connect to the Forum on vacation ::)) ::) will need it at some point anyway.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Yes, I thought I might try to keep up. We are staying at a Hampton Inn. The one I stayed at in Newnan had a station in the lobby where I could log on at night. This one will be similar. A week is a long time to go without a daily dose of the Forum. :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

WDH

You can get on the Hampton's website and find your hotel.  Many times, the features, including internet connection is highlighted.

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Don K on June 05, 2007, 07:42:58 PM
I called the hotel and they have wireless in the lobby and the rooms have the jack and cable, He told me all we will have to do is hookup and open explorer and it will go to their homepage. They will give us a access code to enter and we will be good to go.

All ya'lls suggestions have got me to thinking though that I need to get her a wireless card. Thanks, Don

That's a pretty classic hotel arrangement - wireless in common areas and wired in the rooms. You'll see a lot of people sitting in lobby bars drinking and using their laptops. Staying in a hotel room with a computer - for work or vacation - is never a fun prospect.

My last business trip to Florida I did a lot of work by the pool, but I had to find tables by outlets. It can also get tricky to see the screen with bright sunlight - so make sure your daughter can see well and makes good choices about being "near the action" versus doing well on her exams.

My last trip to Alabama (which flew me through Florida) the wireless came in EXTREMELY handy as they delayed our plane for hours for repairs. I was able to hop online, check the other flights available from my carrier and other carriers out of that airport. I must have at at least 6 other passengers looking over my shoulder. Some airports have free wireless, others charge. As a solo traveller, the wireless keeps me occupied. However, I was amazed about the very confidential buy/sell/hold out negotiations I was overhearing on a cell phone right next to me my last trip by some real estate person. Almost inspired me to find his competitor and sell some information.

Seriously, make sure your laptop has the latest OS and AntiVirus updates and a strong firewall. Now is also a good time to have a safe-surfing talk with your daughter if you haven't already. The Internet is a social environment and there are communicable "diseases" out there along with many risks and many people intent on leveraging innocent and naive users - but the savvy surfer need not be afraid. If you don't know how to do the safe-surfing talk, then it is time to learn yourself. For the first time, your laptop is leaving the more safe world of the privacy of your home and network and going out on (very likely) unsecure networks. Its just like leaving your home and taking your kids out in "the big city".

You didn't say if you were flying, but some notes on that:

All airports require the laptop be removed from luggage and placed in its own bin to be scanned. If you were planning on it being in your daughter's back pack filled with all the other stuff I imagine might be in her backpack - rethink that plan. Those lines can fluster the most seasoned traveller. Keep it simple. Be prepared. For carryons today the rules are one personal item and one carry on bag - so she can have a laptop bag and her back pack and still be fine.

Fair winds and following seas! Safe travels.

Thank You Sponsors!