iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log tenon cutters

Started by Joey Grimes, December 25, 2015, 07:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I've been thinking about getting some log furniture tools does anyone have suggestions? Been looking at lumberjack tools.Ive got an abundance of small cedar logs that I would hate to see used as fence posts .
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Magic for the direction.

Hey Joey....yep, I cut tenons and absolutely love it.
I bought the whole set from Lumber Jack and also the drill motor. The drill motor is made by Milwaukee and turns at a constant 450 rpm. A variable speed just doesn't work good.

What rubbed my fur backwards was when I bought the whole set....within 24 hours they sending me ads by email with some of the cutters on sell at half price.  :o :o :o :o

If I had bought a little a long the way I could have saved some $$$$. They send be sale ads all the time.

But anyway, If I can help you, just let me know. I'll even call you and chat about it.  smiley_gossip

Member Yukon Cornelius actually cuts WAY MORE tenons than I do and has been doing it longer. He can be of a great help also.

Merry Christmas
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

I have a one inch and 2 inch with the radius shoulders, home series. I have a 1.5 with the flat shoulder comercial  series. I use them nearly daily for over 2 years. They have held up flawlessly. Now, pros and cons. the commercial series with the flat blade takes much less power to turn. It leaves a rough tenon. The home series with radius shoulders, with knotty cedar requires removal of some materials to get them to work well.

Holding the log is another thing to consider. Piston had an amazing setup. I started using a pipe vise. Worked great but limited by size. It required padding to keep from biting big marks in the wood. I now use a big metal vise bolted on a heavy metal table. I will be happy to help you with any questions.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

I bought mine from grizzly mostly because its about an hour from here. A good forstner bit set is good to have.

I considered going to the commercial series solely but the rough tenon is the killer for me.

Ohio_Bill

I agree lumber jack tools are good and made in the USA. go to there Web site and sign up for email and they will send you emails of specials, if you're a veteran you get a discount.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Kbeitz

I use the lumberjack tenon bits but I dont use a drill.
I mount the tenon bit in my wood lathe chuck and hold the log.
I made a metal ring to slide the log into that hooks on the bed of the lathe
so it cant sling the log out of my hands.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

johnnyllama

We have the Veritas tenon cutters and they work great, very smooth cutting but only have the 1/2" and 1" sizes, more for smaller projects like benches and rails. I built a shaving horse that works well to hold the sizes we are using but it could work with a 2" also. Here's a photo of my son using it with a drawknife.

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Joey Grimes

Thanks to all think I'm going to order commercial 2 cutter kit one inch and 2 inch and get the 1.5 later.My first project will be a bed for my son.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

customsawyer

This is the only experience I have with making tenons and doubt if it counts. ;D

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

yukon cornelius

joey, that exactly what I did. everything I make could either be 1 or 2 inch. the 1.5 is handy at times for the inbetween size log but not necessary. the veritas cutter look identical to me. they also look like they would be pretty good.

isawlogs

Lee valley tools has  Veritas tenon cutters that I use. I have a few for use with brace and have a few a drill.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kbeitz

This is what I'm useing...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 26, 2015, 09:24:58 AM
This is what I'm useing...

I have just one of that style. I upgraded my forstner bit to Irwin's with the self feed screws. The work well but are very aggressive and can on occasion the screw can cause the log to split. 1 out of maybe 100 times. I drill in with a 1\4 inch to help relieve some tension.

Customsawyer,  :D  :D :D :D

DbltreeBelgians

I've been making rustic log furniture for close to 20 years now and really enjoy it.
I too use the Veritas radius type tenon cutters and have 1", 1½", and 2" and I purchased
them from Lee Valley Tools. I also have a Bosworth 2" 60° commercial cutter. I use an old
Sioux heavy duty cast alum drill with a 5/8" chuck. Sometimes if I catch a knot in some oak
that's real dry that big drill will try to take me for a ride. The wife has been hounding me for
years to make a king size log bed but I just haven't figured out what I want to make it out
of yet. I used almost all of my Aspen to make her a love seat that turned out sweet.
Whatever you decide to get you'll find it enjoyable and very rewarding making log furniture.

Brent

Joey Grimes

I may have to rethink my size of cutters as after checking my log sizes most of my small logs are 5-6  inches on small end.
A 2 inch tenon cutter has a maximum log size about 4 inches.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Joey Grimes on December 27, 2015, 09:45:50 PM
I may have to rethink my size of cutters as after checking my log sizes most of my small logs are 5-6  inches on small end.

Put em on a lathe.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Joey Grimes on December 27, 2015, 09:45:50 PM
A 2 inch tenon cutter has a maximum log size about 4 inches.

I remove material to get it to a size it will handle. You can drawknife it or a electric hand held plane works well.

Can I put out a plea again please! If you use the old metal case drills and electric tools, please please please!!!! Make certain it is fully and well grounded. While working in EMS I had to work my 21 year old cousin who wad electricuted and died using the big metal case drill. It just shorted to the metal case. I would rather see them replaced. I have been zapped before but that was heart breaking. Its now my mission to put that out every chance I get.

Kbeitz

I really like using my wood lathe to hold my tenon bits.
I never got a shock from this drill but it almost got the best of me anyway. 20" high.
One inch chuck and it will snap a 2" bit with no problem if you are strong enough to hold it.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

isawlogs

Before the mag drills, those where arm and wrist breakers...  :-\ 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kbeitz

Quote from: isawlogs on December 28, 2015, 08:30:22 AM
Before the mag drills, those where arm and wrist breakers...  :-\

Yea... Gotta Mag drill but it's not stickin to good on my wood products.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LittleJohn

Quote from: yukon cornelius on December 25, 2015, 10:52:22 PM...pros and cons. the commercial series with the flat blade takes much less power to turn. It leaves a rough tenon. The home series with radius shoulders, with knotty cedar requires removal of some materials to get them to work well.

Holding the log is another thing to consider. Piston had an amazing setup. I started using a pipe vise. Worked great but limited by size. It required padding to keep from biting big marks in the wood. I now use a big metal vise bolted on a heavy metal table. I will be happy to help you with any questions.

I have the Veritas 1" and 1.5" Radius tenon cutter, cut only cedar (occassional white birch for Wifes craft projects).  They work good, but can be difficult to start unless you have a perfectly round log/stick to start with or you like to widdle a good starting chamfer.  The 1.5" (Big Boy, in my house) has to be coupled to a mightly big drill, I run a Dewalt DW130V 1/2" Spade Handle Drill; for the 1" cutter I can sometimes cheat and use a 18v cordless drill (just make sure not to over-rotate or spin too fast) as the cutters are not balanced very well.

...also the cutting blades on the radius tenon cutter can be quite tricky to sharpen, not that sharpening flat blades are easy either (one of the skill sets that I struggle with)

isawlogs

Not too good on wood, but ya can always strap um down....  ;D   I have one of those beast of a drill here also, I don't really know why I keep it around, I stopped usint it after it bit my wrist a few decades ago!    >:( >:(   hurt_smiley

Marcel

dboyt

I use a "Cylinder Mill" jig for my table saw.  I've only had it a short time, but it did a great job turning a new 5' handle for my cant hook (Osage orange).  It has several advantages.  It lines up the ends of the log so that the tenons are perfectly aligned, allows either square or rounded shoulders, and will cut tapered tenons, if you want.  I'm looking forward to using it more.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!