iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Chamber

Started by Stump Jumper, March 12, 2004, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

I have  been thinking of the Nyle 200 and would like to know how to build an efficient kiln chamber for the amount of lumber it is capable of drying? ???
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Larry

10 bucks for a set of kiln chamber plans from Nyle.  They include both the L50 & L200 plans plus plans for kiln carts.  I think this would be the place to start. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

Yep, the ones Nyle sells are pretty good. Don't scrimp on the door seals thou. Mine is end loading and wish I'd built it so it loaded from the sides, like the one Brian Bailey has. I use a pallet jack for moving the stacks around.

Ga_Boy

SJ,

If you are buying the L-200 from Nyle they include the drawings for free.  This is what Nyle told me when I was doing my manufacture research.

I am considering building my kiln to allow end loading with a cart.  The plans with a materials list for carts are included from Nyle with the L-200, the wheels are about $35 each.

I have heard of one operation using a cable and pully to load the kiln.  I like this idea, this way I can use my tractor to load and unload.

What type of material is best for the door seal??

Ga Boy
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Brian_Bailey

Ga_Boy,  

Can't say what makes the best door seal.

I've been using foam pipe insulation for 3/4" pipe you can get at the hardware store.
My kiln doors swing, so I attach the foam tube so it will compress and seal the door when it closes. Seals the doors right up and it's cheap.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

dean herring

Anybody built a kiln out of 4x6 or 6x8 cants?
Got a lot of logs that would be perfect for this
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Used fire hose (fabric style) makes an excellent gasket.

NYLE used to sell the plans and then if you bought a unit, you would get a full plan refund.

Regarding the kiln structure, a few hints...
As electric heating is used, it is an expensive form of heat.  So, insulated walls, doors and roof are really worthwhile.  The roof does not need more insulation than the walls...both need a lot.  The floor should also be insulated, which I'd done by using perimeter 2" thick rigid foam insulation.  The insulation is put in a trench about 24" deep immediately around the outside edge or perimeter of the floor.

Also, consider using a smooth small entry ramp to get into the kiln rather than a large bump.  But do not design this so water runs into the kiln.  Where snowy or icy, consider a deflector over the door to prevent freezing at the top.

The door size is really important...the size is based on the opening you need to load the lumber with the equipment (fork lift) you have, especially the height of the mast.  Make sure you have a secure way to hold the doors open so that the wind does not damage them when loading or unloading.

A kiln is a confined space, so it requires an emergency exit or two.  Adding one or two lights will be beneficial.

If you have a wet bulb, consider a trench in the floor to catch drips and overflow rather than letting the water run all over the floor.

If the kiln is wood, make sure that nails and screws are stainless and will,not rust.

If you make money in a kiln, remember at tax time that it is a piece of equipment.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

Stump Jumper

Stan from Nyle here.
The link below is for the L200 manual and it has the chamber plans inside. If you have any questions you can call me at 800-777-6953 ext 212. :)

https://www.nyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/L200-Manual-version-3.5.pdf
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!