iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which TJ230 do you like?? Can only make it to see one of them..

Started by labradorguy, November 25, 2019, 07:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Looking at this 230. It's a day drive but I'm kicking around making the trip to check it out.... maybe bring it home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1979 TJ 230
Eaton axles
Eaton winch
Detroit 353
Tires like new- no weather checking

Doctor owned it forever as a toy. Meticulous maintenance.
Present owner has used it for years to pull firewood logs for his own use. Just not getting used. Seems to have had a good life....
Lights don't work and winch seal is leaking slightly.
$16,500

I'm doing selective logging in high value WO and Walnut. Need a cable machine, not a grapple.

labradorguy

Option #2

1981 230e
Newer style transfer case and brakes
Brakes need bleeding. Hand brake good.
Heavy Eaton axles. Same as 240
353 Detroit with great oil pressure
New rear tires- front at 70% with chains and fluid
Tranny and engine rebuilt then sold to present owner. He logged for four months and retired.
Hercules winch with spare one and extra cable.
$12000
Documentation on everything is not really there to be had....

nativewolf

I know lots of guys just use blade as a brake but that's a short term answer to a long term problem.  

For that reason only I like 1.  That said, both look better than the normal tj of that vintage.  
Liking Walnut

62oliver

I like the look of #1, that's a good long drive though !!
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

labradorguy

A few more pics of skidder #2. 

Looking forward to hearing some 230 feedback. Thanks! 

sawguy21

That is a lot of time and money to invest in a 40 year old machine. How far away is #2? Engine and tranny rebuilt but brakes don't work and maintenance records are sketchy? Hmm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

number 1 and that's a good price for a machine in that shape , they are a good machine and cheap to fix in most things

Ken

The first machine is the one I'd jump at.  Very nice looking machine.  One of the toughest machines ever built and looks to be in very good shape
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Pine Ridge

Either one would pull alot of white oak and walnut if they are mechanically sound, and the prices are not out of line. I'd love to have either one.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

barbender

That first one caught my eye, the sheet metal tells a lot about what kind of life those machines lived, I think. It looks babied, and the newer rubber is a huge plus (I think close to the asking price for 4). My .02 Oh btw, the brakes on those machines aren't much even when they're working IMO, that's why they tended to not get fixed🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

sandersen

For me it would swing on which owner would negotiate the most. They both look really promising!  Great machines. But the first one may not budge past 16k. What if the 2nd one had an owner that was motivated and would take say 10 or 10,500?  If so that would do it for me. That would be almost 6g in your pocket. More than enough for two new tires down the road. But maybe the reverse is true too.  Check em both and Good luck!  Both are sweet looking jacks. 
"Make every step count."

labradorguy

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 26, 2019, 05:51:05 PM
That is a lot of time and money to invest in a 40 year old machine. How far away is #2? Engine and tranny rebuilt but brakes don't work and maintenance records are sketchy? Hmm.
Ever look at what a new skidder costs? I don't know anyone currently making a 230 size cable machine either. If you do, please let me know. Not being a smart ***, seriously... let me know! Awassos is out there, but I'm not dropping 120k on a JD 440 size machine from an outfit that may be gone in a year.... Options these days are just few and far between. We were using a Cat dozer but it's SO freaking SLOW.... I could get a 3pt skidding winch for an open station tractor, but that's just a good way to get killed if you are actually logging and not just playing around dragging firewood...

Pine Ridge

I love those older machines, clark, treefarmer, timberjack and franklins. I'm not a great mechanic but i could fix alot of things on these machines. I wouldn't know where to begin on a new or newer skidder if it had problems. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

labradorguy

Got some rubber pics for TJ #1.....

TJ #2 has forestry tires on rear and "industrial" tires on the front.

Oddman

TJ #2 front tires look like R1 ag tires, "industrial" usually implies R4 pattern which are heavier built than R1... so basically those R1's look like regular tractor tires

Maine logger88

Out of the 2 I like option 1 better you can tell by looking at it it's never done a lot. But either one is a good machine and don't seem like bad prices at least they wouldn't be bad prices around here. I know some areas are cheaper than others
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

GRANITEstateMP

number 1 is my vote. I'm not sure of which Eaton axle its got and if they are good or bad, maybe someone else can chime in on that.  We've got a hercules winch and I am found of it, again not sure on the eaton
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Maine logger88

Both Eaton axles a very good and tough. The newer style like the 81 has the only thing better about them is you don't have to take off the tire to remove the planetary. But you seldom have trouble with Eaton's anyway. Herulese and Eaton winch are the same Eaton bought out herc and started making the winch under there name. Eaton owned timberjack at the time both of those machines were made

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks Maine Logger, that's the knowledge that I was looking for! 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

labradorguy

labradorguy

Not to over complicate things, but....

Option #3
1976 TJ330
Rebuilt Detroit 353
Rebuilt Allison Tranny
Rebuilt Hercules Winch

1000hr since rebuild
$10,000

Any thoughts? 

labradorguy

47sawdust

# 3-the stirrup step looks like a killer
As long as I'm spending your money I vote #1.It seems to have had an easy life.2 owners is a big plus.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

labradorguy

I don't remember if he said the doctor was the original owner or not. I'll have to find out. Regardless, I'm leaning towards #1 as well. Even if he was not the original owner, the last two owners have been very easy on it from what I can tell. I'm thinking that's much better than it getting hammered daily by hardcore loggers for the last couple decades then getting a "DuPont overhaul" at an equipment dealer. Lol

Maine logger88

I still say option #1 with option #2 my second choice. Those 330s were probably a fine machine but I always thought they were a weird setup

Thank You Sponsors!