iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230 forwarder transfer case

Started by summitforestry, December 02, 2019, 07:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

summitforestry

Hi I'm trying to figure out what transfer case is on my forwarder. It doesn't have the brakes on the unit, and appears to be just a simple two speed transfer case. The speed selector rod has broke and there is a very bad vibration when you hit second gear. Any help is appreciated. New to here and can't figure out how to post pictures. It has a Cummins with 3 speed power shift tranny. Late 70's.  Thanks!

summitforestry

Sorry that pic should be turned clockwise 90°

bushmechanic

I'm looking at the pic and I would say that is an Eaton transfer case. The brake assembly is inside the lower driveshaft yoke and is on the front driveline and on the rear driveline also( two brake assemblies for one transfer case. Looks like in the pic you lost the input u-joint. The Cummins 3.9 never showed up in the Timberjack 230 forwarders until 1989 and to my knowledge they were direct drive not powershift. Is this machine a homemade unit? 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: bushmechanic on December 10, 2019, 09:05:56 PM
I'm looking at the pic and I would say that is an Eaton transfer case. The brake assembly is inside the lower driveshaft yoke and is on the front driveline and on the rear driveline also( two brake assemblies for one transfer case. Looks like in the pic you lost the input u-joint. The Cummins 3.9 never showed up in the Timberjack 230 forwarders until 1989 and to my knowledge they were direct drive not powershift. Is this machine a homemade unit?
I have a straight 230 factory forwarder and it's a 353 with a 5spd with forward / reverser, I've seen 3 or 4 of them and they where all set up identical of that vintage, mostly serco loaders. 

Thank You Sponsors!