iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered....Good or Great?

Started by wert, November 21, 2001, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wert

Let me know I am on the buying path....Keith

Tom

Jonsered is a "Hi Follutin" Huskey and lots of tree guys in N. Fla. use and like them. They shop the Huskey or Jonsered for the best money deal.

Corley5

I've always had excellent luck with Jonsereds.  We replaced our 65 Huskys with a 2094 and a 625 Jonsered.  Really good saws.  Last winter the 2094 needed replacing after many years of service.  I wanted a 2095 but couldn't find one locally.  A 395 Husky was the next choice and a good one at that.  I'm really happy with it but still like black and red over orange.  Husky and Jonsered are both made by Electrolux.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Corley5

Electrolux is the parent company of Husqvarna and Jonsered.  I guess "owned by" would be appropriate. :)

Timber_Tramp

Hi There, I think the mark of a good woodsworker is to make ones own decision about what saw to use. Its nice to stand alone with the saw of your choice and outcut other makes and models thru experience and technique. I admired one particular Finlander who had the only Jonsered in a crew of Husky users.
 After all, a very experienced cutter can out produce a rocked out 372XP with a finely tuned and sharpened Remington Bantam Mitey Might.
 I bought a 980 Oleo-Mac, made in Italy, one nice looking and built saw. This is a good saw that stands alone.
 The trick is to breath life into a saw by proper maintainance and match it for the job and your capabilities.
   This  is why Paul Newman used a Muckaluck Fallers saw to buck the desk in half at the Union Office with 36" bar.
 John Lambert

Timber_Tramp

Sorry, here's the link to see the 980 Oleo-Mac, known as the Olympic in the Pacific North West. Oleo- Mac now makes some of the John Deere Chainsaws, but before I say I wouldnt be caught dead with a Deere saw, I know the old antique John Deere saws are high in demand as collectors items by John Deere freaks.
  Runs like a Deer, Smells like a John.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426327&a=14019233

Corley5

My Jonsered dealer who also sells Olympyks told me that Olympyk was producing some of the engine parts for Jonsereds sold in the U.S.  I think he said the cylinders but that was a couple years ago.  A friend of mine bought some Olympyks for his woods crew and they liked them so much he bought more.  I think these are the same saws you're referring to.

L. Wakefield

whew, timbertramp, those are some EXCELLENT pix! Did you take those with a digital cam? I'm starting to shop a little more seriously- for a dig/cam, not for a saw. We're set for right now with a Husky and 2 Jonsereds. Mike swears by the Jonsereds. The big one has been in the family for 2 generations and he just bought a small one. By rights I need to go out and try it vs my Husky. I'd have to do a little sharpening on the Husky first, or it wouldn't be fair.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

L,
 I bought a new camera last week, I am heading out of town today to see the capital tree out of michigna but I will be back in the morning to tell you about it. I really like it..
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawman

Jonsered saws in general are very good. Sometimes like a lot of equipment it's the dealer, and how they're taken care of that makes the difference.
Poulan Pro makes some small saws for both Husky, and J-Reds. J-Reds and Poulan Pro share some large saws like the PP445(JR2071), and PP505(JR2085). Same basic saws.

Poulan Pro has just gotten out of the big saw business, and cut their $$$.

New Poulan Pro 505's (J-Reds 2085) for  $499. Free S&H.
New warranty.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

TJACK

I know a gentleman who owns a saw shop and works on all brands.  He claims there is not much difference between a Jonsered and a Husky.  In my neck of the woods, Huskys are taking ground away from the Stihls.  Jonsered are a few here and there, all who have, like. My 2 cents you can't go wrong with any of the three, just make sure you have a good servicing saw shop to support your decision.

Good Luck,

TJACK

sawman

TJACK, sure made a "clean drop" with the statement of a good servicing dealer.

Been fortunate to meet some of the past, and present heads of chain saw companies. It's interesting to hear that they are targeting the consumer market as their future income. The pro saws availability are so far ahead of market needs, and with pro cutters declining  they believe to survive, and grow they will have to be in the big boxes, or chain stores.

Will certainly affect profit, and strength of good dealers. Some of the smaller but really good companies that aren't in mass merchants are targeting independent servicing dealers.

As for me started selling Dolmar because it's as good if not better than the others, and I don't worry about Sears, and Lowes .
Wallenstein FX85

Ron Scott

I saw a 2095 model Jonsered cutting through 36" oak logs today. The first one in awhile with all those Huskys and Stihls. It was impressive. Again, the feller says he has it because of a good dealer where he lives.
~Ron

Corley5

I was in to my local Jonsered dealer the other day to get a tip for a bar and a new chain.  We got to talking saws and I told him that I was running a 395 Husky quite simply because he didn't have a 2095 Jonsered when I needed one.  He said that it just wasn't worth it to stock a chainsaw costing almost a grand when he might only sell a couple a year.  He said that in the past it was nothing for them to sell 3 or 4 hundred saws of various sizes a year :o.  Now they sell half that many and most are smaller saws.  Times have changed.  The biggest ones he stocks now are the 2171 Jonsereds.  Look like nice saws but I think I'd buy a 372 Husky if I was in the market for one that size.

TJACK

I went to my Husky dealer two weeks ago to get a new pair of chaps and we got to talking saws and which ones were his most popular pro saws.  He said he sells 10 372XP's to 1 395XP's although both were on stock.  Being in the heart of hardwood timber county that suprised me.  He said look at the trees harvested, average DBH is 14 -24" for saw logs.  With its light weight and quickness he said it is the choice of loggers.  I run a 372 and it is a great saw but I have never used the 385 or 395.

TJACK

sawman

Years ago, and it's years, heard a cutter say something to the effect, that if the a local dealer had the best saw lines but couldn't really fix them, he'd be better off running pro Pioneer,  or Homelite  saws if that dealer could fix them.

There is truth in that about service!

Learned about JReds, and Husky's years ago when  selling Partner, and Partner chain saws were merged with Pioneer then Partner was making saws for JReds, and Husky.

Started selling Poulan Pro (gold color) which was a JReds but about $150. less for the same saw. Came to like them. But not enough dealers around, which makes it harder to sell. Figured that even with them getting out of big saws cutters would buy them for $300. less than a JReds.

Have been more sucessful with Dolmar last two years. Was thinking about Husky, but with them going in Sears, and Lowes, dealers I know  say they don't trust them for back up as well.
Besides, I need to make a decent profit when selling, not just all parts, and service.
Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!