iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

save, saw, sweep, stack, sticker, secure, and dry one log at a time

Started by doc henderson, March 24, 2019, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

i think i have spring fever, or maybe a urinary tract infection?  Plan to show with pictures how i processed the old elm log in the yard that was staring at me.  i had posted pics in other threads, this is a start to finish how I as a hobbyist dry, can move, keep boards in order for book matching later, and from the same tree/log.

elm cant on the mill.  used my older blade to develop the cant and then changed to a fresh sharp blade.  My anchorseal is tinted blue and has the winter formula.  you can see the green line laser mounted on the blade guard
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Here is the american elm (Siberian?) cut at 7/8th inch.  yard tree, no metal.

sawed

secured to move to the drive way

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

the cant is 16 inches wide so cut some "feet" stickers from pallet banding stock i get free from lowes.

The board on the left was a 7/8th inch board cut early from the cant and will be used to make stickers,  on the right are the free band boards to sit on the ground and allow steel or other banding to go under to apply tension.

my barrel full of band boards.

doc henderson

now take the board to make stickers and cut lengths 16 inches long (the width of the cant)  and then rip 3/4 " on the table saw.

got 17 stickers from one 16 inch board, five 16 inch boards from the first board therefore est. 85 stickers

doc henderson

now we stack.  sweep each board, flip over to keep faces together as in the log.  top board in the stack will go face down on the feet

doc henderson

some nice crotch wood at one end.  just need my steel banding and can move with the skid steer.

nativewolf

Really great thread.  Thanks for sharing.  My only comment is a little handheld electric blower instead of a broom is a wonderful thing.

oh...and when would you like to stop by and do some sticker work for me :D
Liking Walnut

doc henderson

well got it banded.  my neighbors Ron and Sharon stopped by and wanted me to scan and engrave a navy honorable d/c on some maple.  i will post the on the "laser engraving" thread.  here are a few shots of the banding in process and although I will move this with a skid steer and forks, if you have the "ballast"  you can make moves inside with a two wheel cart.  Or prob. called "playing with your dolly" if you are old greenhorn.   :D    @Old Greenhorn 

two ends done and preped for the middle four.  looking from the front.

from the back after pre-bending the strap

done, from the front, you can see through the stack.

this wet elm would be quite a load for the cart, but after dry, could at least move around in the shop as a unit.  the bands are tensioned to a high C, and when air dry, you can put your fist behind them.

doc henderson

thanks nativewolf.  i agree.  the sawdust was very wet .  I would sweep about 2 times each way and when the sun came out, the surface was dry in about 5 minutes.  I use it by my mill a lot, but does better with dry sawdust.

Southside

Doc, just confirming your appointment is at 0700 tomorrow here at my mill to address those issues you are suffering from. See you then.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I mill the boards 7/8 ", and ripped the stickers 3/4 ".  you have to make sure you orient them all the same way.  I put the table saw faces against the boards in case the bandsaw had a wave.  with the crotch grain, it had a little wave from the prev. less sharp blade cutting though the bark and crotch wood.  I make the sticker usually from the board just before the first really good board while making the cant.  If you want wider stickers say 1.5", then cut that board 1.5 inches thick and rip 3/4 " on the table saw.

doc henderson

Thanks southside.  I am feeling better now that I got the bands on.  Ill try to get there by noon, I know you guys never run on time anyway.  :D

doc henderson

So the math I use.  I don't like to be less than 16", or as far apart as 24" between stickers.  just like with studs in a wall, you divide by the space between centers and add 1.  My cant was 96".  i also like even numbers so my 2 wheel cart is centered and my forks can be outside the middle two.  96 div. by 5 = 19.2. so 5 +1 = 6 sticker about 19 inches apart.  You could take a few inches off the total length since that would be on centers.  i.e. the end stickers are a ways back from the ends.  on my cant, the crotch end was uneven so it was back about 6 inches.  there are 13 boards, so 12 spaces.  so 6 stickers per space so I needed 72 stickers. My original less than perfect board made over 85 stickers.  The bands were 2 x the ht., + 2 x the width + 6 ".  height was 26 inches, width 16 inches.  so 52 + 32 + 6 = 90 inches per steel band x 6 total bands for each sticker stack.    

doc henderson

I am considering a change to poly banding, so the metal over time does not stain the edge of the boards.  i try to overhang the top and bottom grooved "band" boards to keep the strap off the wood.  poly would not stain and could be re-tensioned, but does not have the tensile strength of steel,  and i would also have to re-invest in different tools.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on March 24, 2019, 08:20:46 PM
  Or prob. called "playing with your dolly" if you are old greenhorn.   :D    @Old Greenhorn
I don't play with my dolly, I am dead serious with it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

We have had the discussion about where to get stickers.  These are not dry, but could be if you stayed a few boards ahead.  In my experience, the nice thing when doing one big log, is that 1 sacrificial board has always been able to sticker the whole log.  If you do it while making the cant. it should be a board with a bit of sapwood and not a premium chunk-o-wood.  I assume a wider stack might be more stable and combat twisting and warp better.  this is good for a hobby guy doing a log at a time.  i can remove stickers and stack tight when dry, and if I re-flip the boards while stacking, i have reassembled the log, and can still bookmatch if desired.  Or sell/give the whole log at once.  some stickers and band boards can be reused on a same width cant, if they do not twist.

Tom the Sawyer

Doc, it might take quite of ballast to move a stack of freshly milled lumber like that with a two-wheeler/hand truck.  Check CL or local ad papers and you might be able to find a pallet jack.  They are usually around $100 used and can lift 4-5000 pounds very safely... and are very maneuverable if you are on a smooth surface.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

doc henderson

that is a great idea Tom, and I have one, but it barely fits under the stack depending on the thickness of the bottom "band" boards.  i use the skid steer with forks outside, and only use the cart to move stacks en-mass in my shop.  looking forward to meeting you at Sawing project 2019.

Ljohnsaw

Very nice!

You're lucky to get the "band boards" for free.  They won't even sell them at the big box stores out here.  I see them sitting in a trash can (just them) by the loading dock, so I'm thinking they go back to the mill?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

twar

Peter Drouin

You did a good job cutting and stacking, But with the green stickers, you're going to have sticker stane lumber. You have to use dry dry stickers.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

Peter you are correct and that would be better.  I so far have never had a mark that would not plane out.  Dry is better, and this is sorta the Sunday afternoon, get er done.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

AK Newbie

Doc thanks for taking the time to put this post together complete with pics.  I enjoyed it greatly!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!