iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free logs

Started by Bruno of NH, January 29, 2015, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

got some spruce logs delivered for free from a tree service.
I know spruce is no fun to saw but will do it any way :D

Im going to wait till it warms up a little ;D
Getting soft as i get older dont like the cold as much.
I also need a double knee replacement so the cold binds up the knees .
Thanks Jim /Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ocklawahaboy

I get plenty of free logs but never delivered free.  Enjoy.

bandmiller2

Its good form to get to know the tree service guys, many times they want to get rid of stuff too large to chip. Most are open to deals where they get some lumber and hardwoods for truck racks and beds. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DeerMeadowFarm

No sawing experience (yet), but why is Spruce no fun to saw?  ???

Bruno of NH

DMFarm
The knots in spruce make it hard to saw
You can get some wavy cuts
I have sawn it before with 10 degree bands
I now have some 7 and 8 degree bands hope it saws better
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

shinnlinger

You might find it actually saws better when frozen as the softwood is hard like the knots....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shinnlinger

No lube or pitch issues either...
Shinnlinger

fishfighter

What is that white stuff covering your logs?

Sun shine and 77F here today. Got a little burnt. :D

Bruno of NH

We got 2-4 more inches of it coming for Friday  !
It's that time of year .
Jim/Bruno

4x4American

I've found that norway spruce saws really easy.  I sawed out some frozen ones (I mean covered in ice and boards sticking together right after you sawed them frozen).
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 29, 2015, 03:41:08 PM
DMFarm
The knots in spruce make it hard to saw
You can get some wavy cuts
I have sawn it before with 10 degree bands
I now have some 7 and 8 degree bands hope it saws better
Jim/Bruno

Just need a sharp blade, will cut fine :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

haha I just read above what shinnlinger said.  That makes sense, as the reason it deflects is because you're going from soft wood to hard knots.  As tim cook says, it is easier for a band to saw straight through hard knots, as long as the 5 factors are properly adjusted.

From my house it looks like you may have some black blotches on the end of your logs?  That is indicative of metal.  Be careful be careful
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on January 29, 2015, 07:30:00 PM
haha I just read above what shinnlinger said.  That makes sense, as the reason it deflects is because you're going from soft wood to hard knots.  As tim cook says, it is easier for a band to saw straight through hard knots, as long as the 5 factors are properly adjusted.

From my house it looks like you may have some black blotches on the end of your logs?  That is indicative of metal.  Be careful be careful

It deflects because the blade is dull.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Quote from: 4x4American on January 29, 2015, 07:30:00 PM

Whaatt???  A yard tree with metal in it?  I don't believe it, everybody always tells me they know nobody has ever stuck a nail in them, ever!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

easy guy, you don't want to have a heart attack over it!
Boy, back in my day..

5quarter

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 29, 2015, 09:00:59 PM

Sharp blade is not always good enough. blade also needs .028"-.030" set and higher tension. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 5quarter on January 29, 2015, 11:53:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 29, 2015, 09:00:59 PM

Sharp blade is not always good enough. blade also needs .028"-.030" set and higher tension. ;)

smiley_thumbsup

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Holy whack Peter think you got enough tension? 

The guide rollers also have to be flat and the band wheels need to be properly aligned.

That's alot of set, 5 quarter.  I set my Munkforsager bands to around .022 and I just talked with Cook's they told me that if I'm sawing frozen logs, the blade will clear the sawdust better if I set the bands to .015"  otherwise they should be set around .018"-.022"  I believe was their numbers.  That's for their duratooth super sharp.
Boy, back in my day..

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: shinnlinger on January 29, 2015, 06:51:18 PM
You might find it actually saws better when frozen as the softwood is hard like the knots....

I love sawing spruce! It definitely saws better frozen. It doesn't seem to matter what degree blade is used, just that it's sharp and you adjust your feed rate to the amount/size of knots.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

shinnlinger

Farming,

Do you know Terry Lamont in Linconville?  He is actually the guy that gave me the idea to saw frozen in the first place...
Shinnlinger

FarmingSawyer

I know a few Lamont's in the area, but not Terry. Is he the fella on Slab City road? I go by there often......

5quarter

4x4, Yeah, frozen is different. you can run your Duratooth fine right out of the box. Sawing blue and Norway spruce in the fall (hundreds of knots per log >:()? Not going to happen under .025" set. I bump mine out to .028" and problem solved. I have a band hanging in the shop tagged "spruce".  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

FarmingSawyer

I had an odd one yesterday....a fresh me-sharp band....I cut 2 cedars and a frozen pine no problem. Nice and flat, cutting like butter. I get to another cedar and by the end of the log the band was 3/16ths higher than the cut. I changed to another fresh me-sharp and the same thing was going on. The cedar was narrow--probably 8" and wide--around 16". It came off of a wye and had split, so it was frozen mostly through with a lot of ice in part of it.

I checked the band alignment, I re-leveled the mill. I still couldn't shake the 3/16 deviation, and on one pass through the 16" wide dimension I got a lot of wave. So I switched to a brand new SuperSharp and hey, presto! It cut like butter.

I don't know if my set was off on the other bands, or just not a quality job on the sharpening....I had to then take the wide dimension and cut it in 1/2. I was trying to get a 5-1/2" cant by whatever so I could make 1/2" lap siding for an order. I'd messed up the 5-1/2" dimension with band wander. SO I cut the flitch in to 2 5-1/2" square cants and worked my 1/2" material from the other direction. I lost about 4 boards messing around, but at lease I solved the problem and salvaged the log for some material. The next frozen cedar cut like a dream......

It didn't help that I was getting pelted with frozen rain and snow..... :D

Chuck White

When sawing Spruce, your feed speed has to match your band sharpness!

With a sharp band, if you're getting wavy cuts, you need to slow down a little!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

For me When I have frozen logs and I don't care what kind, I see a lot of guys slow down with the cut thinking it will cut flat. What happens is the sawdust friezes in the cut and will give you fits. I just cut like I do in the summer or very close to it and push through it. If the blade is sharp it will cut flat. If not it's dull, And I have taking new blades out of the box and It cuts like a junk one. I do push my set out some.  :)

Sometimes Free logs will cost you. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Only sometimes? :D I find most free things are worth what you paid for them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 31, 2015, 04:18:50 PM
Only sometimes? :D I find most free things are worth what you paid for them.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 31, 2015, 12:59:24 PM
For me When I have frozen logs and I don't care what kind, I see a lot of guys slow down with the cut thinking it will cut flat. What happens is the sawdust friezes in the cut and will give you fits. I just cut like I do in the summer or very close to it and push through it. If the blade is sharp it will cut flat. If not it's dull, And I have taking new blades out of the box and It cuts like a junk one. I do push my set out some.  :)

Not always!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Free logs have been very, VERY good to me.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Chuck White on January 31, 2015, 06:26:45 PM

Not always!

Have you had trouble?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Peter from more than a few posts I've got the feeling that you saw like Mario Andretti! I'd love to see you saw in person.
I remember one post awhile back you said something along the lines of: there's a fine line between quality and junk lumber, and you need to saw right up to that to make money.

That's stuck with me I try to remember that when I'm sawing cause I go slow a lot, sometimes I'm just waiting for a loud BANG or a BOOM
Boy, back in my day..

Allen S

I get some free logs from a tree service crew some good some bad but never had a chance to saw a frozen one yet   :)

4x4American

I stumbled upon it somehow:

"When you cut wood for some years you will find how fast you can cut with your mill and have nice lumber and not junk. The trick is to find the line of making good lumber or bad, And cut right up to it."  -Peter Drouin
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

I have sawed Red spruce which is very easy to saw and Norway from 75 year old plantations which was not.
Norway logs were 18 to 22 " dia.
Dave Scott at WM Northeast sold me some .055 7degree blades and told me to crank up the tension al la Peter Drouin.
I did this and eventually the v belt on one wheel crushed to the point that the blade was running on the metal.
These were WM Goodyear belts.
I have sawed a few Norway since then which weren't as bad but I will stick to Hemlock and White pine as much as possible.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

I do push myself and the mill.
I started with a LT40 manual and a WM rock sharpener and setter. Then to a LT 40 hydro. I spent time tailing for a circular mill and all most got one, but I wanted to work alone. I have had as much as 20+ guys working for me in the construction biz and was sick of that. :D
Then I ordered the LT 40 supper The WM edger with the cats, The CBM sharpener and dual setter and been very happy. I'm not a race car driver, But I like to test myself all the time [ just the way I am] Just the other day I wanted to know how long it would take to cut and split and stack a cord of firewood, For planing on some things I'm doing. 1Hour and 15 min
Not bad for a man at 60 years old. :D

Not all logs are the same, That said, I just like to see what I can get cut in a day. You will find you will spend a lot of time feeding the mill logs so when I'm cutting I try to make the most of it.
With the new CBN sharpener and setter will open doors for you to cut better and faster. You have to not be afraid to try new things or just what the mill will do or the blades will do. And that's how you find the line.
I will say with the sharpening stuff it made a big difference, [I can play with the set] I can make the blades better than new, That oil bath is where it is for me.
Maybe I might sound like I'm boasting sometimes But I'm not and the last thing I want to do is pith off someone here.
And never the BOSS.  :D :D :D :D :D
I think the speed of the cut should be the same most all the time. But all I have to go by is a Wood Mizer. What others do with other mills or makes, I have no idea.
I'm trying to share what I have learned over the decades of cutting wood.
So 4x4 go for it and take it by the horns . :D :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 01, 2015, 11:48:10 AM
I have sawed Red spruce which is very easy to saw and Norway from 75 year old plantations which was not.
Norway logs were 18 to 22 " dia.
Dave Scott at WM Northeast sold me some .055 7degree blades and told me to crank up the tension al la Peter Drouin.
I did this and eventually the v belt on one wheel crushed to the point that the blade was running on the metal.
These were WM Goodyear belts.
I have sawed a few Norway since then which weren't as bad but I will stick to Hemlock and White pine as much as possible.

I do go through a lot of b57s :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Cedarman

Got the CBN sharpener last summer.  Let the hired help do all the sharpening until a week before Thanksgiving when I figured that I might as well take over sharpening and let them saw wood.  LOVE the oil bath sharpener.  Teeth sharper than a razor after a good stropping.
Used a dual tooth setter years ago.  Just did not trust the set.
I use the old single tooth setter to make sure every tooth is close to what I want it to be.
Board foot sawn has went up, number of blades needing sharpened has went down as more feet get sawn before blade dulls.
Hired 2 high school kids to come in at 3:30 after we shut down to do clean up.  That has speeded up footage through mill and got rid of some work the employees just "loved".
Peter , you are right, got to keep thinking and experimenting.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

FarmingSawyer

After a frigid morning of malfunctions--who foresaw the gob of frozen grease dropping on one side chain that raises and lowers the mill head and causing the chain to wrap around itself..... and the head to fall 2 inches.....I didn't--DanG polar gremlins..... I have made it though most of the cedar on the deck and am up to the 2 spruces on my cut list...... Hopefully they're frozen....and hopefully they're clear. I have an order for oar blanks, boat masts and booms.....all need to be clear and straight grained....or I've got to go source another few logs.....

I've put on a fresh sharp blade and after this cup of tea and my hand thawing out, I'm millin..... 8)

Jeff

Does anyone have an idea please what topic this post is disconnected from so I can put it where it belongs? I just spent 10 minutes looking and didn't connect the dots.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Maybe @Peter Drouin or @4x4American can help out.  I couldn't find it either.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bruno of NH

Hi Jeff
I think free logs
One of my post
Thanks Jim /Bruno

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

I started a new post when I answered 4x4 I don't know what happened
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 31, 2015, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on January 31, 2015, 06:26:45 PM

Not always!

Have you had trouble?

Yup, when I get most wavy cuts, it's usually with small Spruce, around 12-14" in diameter  :-\, but a few years ago, I had a customer who had some big spruce, 26-30" in diameter and they really sawed nice!  :)

4x4American

I was wondering what happened!  I got a notification saying I was tagged but couldn't see the post.  I figured it was in the forbidden section.    Yes this was the free logs post originally. 

Thanks for the reply, Peter!  I have alot of respect for your opinions.  I just don't think you could pith me off!  One of your threads was the first one I read when i joined The great FF, i went through all 32 pages of it and loved it.  it was the a day sawing wood thread.  it helped keep me sane whilst waiting for my mill to be ready.  thanks!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: 5quarter on January 30, 2015, 11:53:38 PM
4x4, Yeah, frozen is different. you can run your Duratooth fine right out of the box. Sawing blue and Norway spruce in the fall (hundreds of knots per log >:()? Not going to happen under .025" set. I bump mine out to .028" and problem solved. I have a band hanging in the shop tagged "spruce".  ;)

I haven't sawed any of it in the fall yet.  Only in nice warm 10*F weather. :D

the logs i was sawing were from 14-16" dbh trees and didn't have many knots near the butt.  they had alot once i got up but at that point the logs were real small so not really worth sawing.

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Chuck, I had pushed the set out to 30 instead of the 24 WM sets at with 55/7° with the blade tight helped me cut flat. And yes spruce sometimes can be a hand full. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

4x4 I'm glad if I can help. Now I hope the boss is ok with me messing up this post. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I think it was the Boss that consolidated everything. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!