iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser on a B20?

Started by peterduncan, March 30, 2009, 10:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterduncan

I recently purchased a Sears Laser Trac to somehow mount it on my Timberking B20 in hopes of seeing the blade entry location on the log as well as a way to see where the cut will end up at the other end of the log. Does anyone out there have a better way or a better laser to use on the  B20? Or does anyone think I am crazy to do this? If you have any experience with this please let me know. If I can get this to work it would be a real advantage to me in the milling process.

Chico

The only prob with lasers is if it's too light and you can't see them(either the intensness of the laser or the light around the machine not mounting them rigid enough that they jump around .I'm not familar with the machine or laser but we always mounted ours on roundstock and braced it well Be sure and use a coiled cord if you can so it will retract itself as not to hang. Lasers are nice a good quick reference to set your mof with or to come back on on a line with Most are adjustable on both intensity and line direction and length I would set it up for 12 ' on the highest intensity  You could stretch it 16 But 12 should be plenty
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

logwalker

I use a Ryobi I got off ebay for $5. It is the model below. I am in a shed with skylight panels and it works on cloudy days and late afternoons. It is very handy to use when it works. I made a tray that it sits on with a velcro strap. i would like to have an industrial but they are spendy. Someday maybe...

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

peterduncan

Where did you mount yours?

moonhill

It is a cool idea.  I use my eye laser, it works best in the daylight, and it's free, I supplement it with a tape measure also.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

logwalker

The tray sets at the bottom of the drive wheel cover. 1/4" plate bolted to the bottom of the cover housing.  Real easy. Used a wooden spacer to align the laser with the cut. Sure saves time and effort. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

eireog68

store bought lasers are not strong enough for this application you will need a commercial laser and power supply for it to be reliable. try the green daylight visible line laser first the higher the power the better remember anything more than a momentary (on set your cutting head and off) laser will get too hot and burn out loosing your investment.
And no you are not wasting your time it is possible you just need to get the right one to fit your budget.
Back to Basics with new age tools
If we all had desk jobs who would make the desks
Buy American and give your children job,s
or buy imported and have to support them for life.

bandmiller2

Pete,for the laser to work well you need subdued light and the laser mounted at the level of your band.As Chico says they must be mounted to reduce vibration,and should be easily and finely adjustable.I have my laser mounted in the rafters,of course thats a circular mill where the saw is stationary,bandmill you must move the laser with the band.Lasers are a real SOB to adjust, move the laser a couple of thou and it moves inches at the end of the log.All that said it all comes down to using it in a shady area where you can see the line.Take the laser you have ,where you cut,and see if you can see the line all along the log before mounting it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!