iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now look what you've done Dave...........

Started by DR Buck, May 29, 2007, 08:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I now have a new issue with my LT40.    While trying to turn a LARGE log it got jammed on the turner and clamp.  After finally getting it free I ended up with the clamp tilted towards the tail end of the mill.  I was able to finish sawing and the clamp works OK, it's just leaning much to far and looks bad.

The main question is......is something bent,  :(   or is there it knocked out of alignment?  :-\    If it's alignment, where do I adjust?  :P    If it's bent, I guess I'll break out the BIG hammer.  ;D  I'm just not sure what is bent though.  :-\

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don K

Looks to me like it might be twisted on the cylinder that runs it in and out. Least that's what I see from here
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Kansas

Our LT40 clamp is usually tilting a little bit one way or another.....its perfectly normal. The face of the clamp also rotates if it gets under unusual stress, it doesnt hurt anything, and is easily turned back to where it should be.

MartyParsons

DR, the big bolt that has the lock nut on it, remove it and see if it is bent. I also tighten the nuts during service. I would bet it bent the bolt if not it would be the big rod. Does it get tight in the bore? Remove the clyinder and see if the ram is bent.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

DR Buck

Marty,

The rod the clamp moves on is OK, not bent.  The cylinder ram looks OK as well.  I'll pull the bolt tomorrow and have a look.   I need to go do an estimate on a log pile now and it will be dark when I get home.

DR Buck

Got it fixed today.  8)

Turned out to be a slite bend in the bracket the the cylinder connects to on the rail side of the frame.    Three wacks with the 8 pounder and all is well.  ;D

BBTom

Here is what I do when I jamb one of those oversized logs on the clamp. 

I raise one or both of the toeboards, it will normally lift the log enough to free the clamp.  I don't know how many times I fought that problem before I learned this. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Thank You Sponsors!