iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maximize value of my logs

Started by JJWorker, August 04, 2018, 12:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJWorker

Hello all, I am new to logging? Bought Skidder in March! What is the best way to maximize the value of my logs. Cutting mostly hard woods on my own property!

thecfarm

Give us at least a state to get you going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Location, the species you are cutting, the size of the logs you are cutting (height/diameter).  

I'm doing better, not easy.  Walnut was easy, not easy now either.  I call one or two mills or buyers a week and scout around a 100 mile circle but will even send to canada and I'm in northern va.
Liking Walnut

4x4American

Get a knuckleboom loader to sort and market your wood.  Read up on bucking logs for grade.  Shop around with different log buyers to see who treats you the best.  Send a couple load to each place of similar wood and keep track/compare.  Find a good honest reliable trucker to draw your wood.  Do some research on the guy because I've heard of multiple truckers who take the load home and do some horse trading before they go to the mill.  Or sometimes they do one load for you, one load for me.  One load for you, two load for me.  No load for you, 3 load for me.  Lol...just be careful cause they're out there.  
Boy, back in my day..

SawyerTed

4x4 hit on something important, your buyers will be the best source for answers to this question.

Asking here will absolutely be informative, but the buyers will make the final decisions on your log value.  They should be able to tell you what they are buying for the mill or mills they represent.  While I'm no expert, what they may be buying can change depending on demand.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Another feather in your cap is to see if you can get certified as having taken one of the sustainable forestry programs that are out there. In Virginia it's called the SHARP program and it basically teaches best management practices, water quality, etc. What is does though is opens doors to be able to sell to mills that are certified through the sustainable forestry council marketing program. More market opportunities and sometimes better pay. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Maybe you should have a logger come in and teach you how to log without killing your self.
You did say you are new to this. And he can inform you how things work in your area. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

moodnacreek

Proper felling and bucking to produce the highest grade possible is where you want to go.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Beavertooth

Don't know how much of your own timber you are planning on cutting but if a fair bit you could come out ahead buying your own sawmill and processing them yourself and have a mill to boot when said and done. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Thank You Sponsors!