iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

breadboard end table

Started by Dan_Shade, October 20, 2007, 09:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

any of you guys have any tips?

I saw a mention of using a sliding dovetail somewhere, but I have no idea how to make that happen with power tools.  that would be pretty slick to do it that way.

my top is 34" wide, I think i'll do either 3 or 5 tenons.  I have a mortise machine so that part's pretty easy.

I figure i'll use a guide and a circular saw to hog off most of the material along the way for the tenons, and clean everything up with a chisel.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I did breadboards on a blanket chest top using sliding dovetails.  There is a post in this section on it (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25894.0). 

However, at 34" wide, the approach you are considering should work well as long as the table is free to expand and contract in the breadboard.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Mortising both pieces might be easier than trying to get a perfect cut along the tabletop.  Loose tenons glued into the table mortises will be just as strong as cut tenons.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

i figure it would be easier to cut a tenon on a top that's 6 feet long than to wrestle it so that I can make a square mortise....

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

I'm sure it's a lack of technique on my part, but I can't ever get tenon shoulders square all the way around. :-\  That leaves me with a slight gap. >:(   The loose tenon technique has saved me from lots of frustration.

So, what style table are you making?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

a redneck one.

i have a folding table in my kitchen with a really beat up MDF/papered top on it.  I can't complain, i've been beating on it for 9 years.

So i'm making a replacement top of some white oak that I have, and want to put the breadboard end on it for practice.

Thank You Sponsors!