iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big old Jonsereds...

Started by weimedog, December 29, 2010, 03:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Quote from: simplicityguy92 on March 30, 2011, 12:57:35 PM
with alot of tork they seem like they would be a not bad rippings saw for log breakdown

Very true. I used my 820 for exactly that. (Then built it to a 920) The one thing that was a bit of an issue in my first built of the 820 was I used that soft yellow fuel line for the pulse line. That was a mistake! It melted & shut off the saw. SO back to that older style hard black line and it never melted again.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Those older 'sered's came in different sized piston cylinder matchs "A" "B" "C"

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Saw Dr.

Along those lines, does anyone know if the Episan pistons are sized for the A, B, or C cylinders?  Pretty sure I have an A here.  (too lazy to go look right now...)
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

celliott

Thought I'd bring this topic back up to the top, It's a good read.
Also thought I'd post my new to me Jonsered 920, with a 32" windsor speed tip bar  8)

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to keep this 920. It's pretty clean for the age, in good shape. Still need to find a chainbrake band for it.
My dilemma is, that I already have a husky 385xp Needs a bit of work, but it's a newer saw, parts more readily available than the 920, a bit lighter, similar power, and takes the same bar mount as my other saws. The 920 is rather heavy, and takes a different bar mount.
I love chainsaws  ;D but I feel I could use the money from selling the 920 for something else... Certainly not tied down to any one saw.
Any idea what a solid 920 would be valued at?

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

HolmenTree

The Jonsered 920 is a good saw , yours looks close to mint so I would say if it's running good the value would be $400-450.
I had a new 920 in the early '80s, very tough logging saw. Never had a problem with it. Very smooth and good torque.

celliott

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 31, 2014, 04:52:03 AM
The Jonsered 920 is a good saw , yours looks close to mint so I would say if it's running good the value would be $400-450.
I had a new 920 in the early '80s, very tough logging saw. Never had a problem with it. Very smooth and good torque.

Thank you, that's about what I was thinking value wise, but wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off  :D
It is pretty darn good shape. The mark you can see on the handlebar isn't a tear in the grip, just paint. The clutch cover is definitely the most dinged up piece on the saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Well I got a chainbrake band for it, the very last one chainsawr had...
I decided to sell it, mostly due to parts availability and my having the 385xp. It sure was a heavy beast!

Wasn't on craigslist 4 days and it's gone. Asked $450 for it, guy checked it out, started on the third pull and sounded good, he didn't even dicker on the price with me.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

JohnG28

Sounds like all went well for you Chrks, good deal. Here's my old Jonny, it's a Jonsereds 90. ;D

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 31, 2014, 04:52:03 AM
Quote from: celliott on April 09, 2014, 03:51:10 PM
I decided to sell it, mostly due to parts availability and my having the 385xp. It sure was a heavy beast!

Wasn't on craigslist 4 days and it's gone. Asked $450 for it, guy checked it out, started on the third pull and sounded good, he didn't even dicker on the price with me.

I'm glad I was able to help you out celliott........ now that'll be 10% commission.

Just kidding ;D :D

celliott

I'm glad I was able to help you out celliott........ now that'll be 10% commission.

Thank you, that's about what I was thinking value wise, but wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off  :D

;)

:D
I should have asked for more, it went so quickly!  :D

I'll pay you 10% commission, but it's all in pennies, you'll have to take care of shipping  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

HolmenTree

Quote from: celliott on April 10, 2014, 06:05:12 AM

;)

:D
I should have asked for more, it went so quickly!  :D

I'll pay you 10% commission, but it's all in pennies, you'll have to take care of shipping  ;D
Chris, those older 'sered's have a loyal following, you may have got more then $450 but then again if you hold out too long then you're left with dwindling  interest.
Like catching the big lake trout, you never know when one will come along and bite........

celliott

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. Might have gotten $500 or more, but hey, I'm happy with $450, it's more than what I had in it.
I have a Stihl 028 on craigslist now that's been up over a month, at what I believe is a reasonable price. Hardly any interest in that. Guess the stihlhead trout aren't biting yet  :laugh:
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

weimedog

I ran the 920 this week that was the GENISIS of this thread...and then realized there was a bunch of video on the very same set of saws. Selfishly wanted to complete the circle and tie the video to the thread that got it started... wow time fly's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C18CVuC4TBk
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Thanks for sharing that guys, real nice to refresh on those older 'sereds.
Walter I haven't seen that old style Stihl 35RM chain for years
The safety ramp on the side links sure gives it away.
In our area if a Stihl dealer couldn't sell a saw to the Husky /Jonsered camp he had no problem selling rolls of that .058 Stihl chain. Except he sold the 35 RS chisel because no one wanted the RM.

weimedog

I had no idea what kind of chain that was .. but it was either use it for this type of stuff or scrap it. It made a few blocks.. :)

(I fought with that chain for a while before putting a real chain on it, Oregon LGX)

crazy4saws

Quote from: weimedog on December 29, 2010, 03:50:38 PM
So the 61 is complete..runs well. On to the next project. Either going to pick apart a Old Jonsered 920 or a newer Jonsered 2094. Muffler mods and light cylinder mods possible I guess. Any here have any interest in those old monsters? Any pics and historical knowledge to post?

I have a few. Really like them but they are heavy.....and old.

A pic of a couple that might be victims....From left to right...920, 2094, 820. The 2094 is warmed over for GTG's and the other two are essentially stock working saws..I use them!

Some raw materials....

Big Jugs....2094 & 2095 Style

Big Jugs 920 & 930 style (posted before)

New after market pistons for 920 & 2094 (Same piston as a 394 Husqvarna)

Yet another..a 920 I just stuck together last week..stock thru and thru.

So possiblilities....convert the 820 to a 930 top end. Take the stock 920 and convert to a 930 both with cleaned up ports & muffler mods. Actually hope some of you folks post projects as well..especially if you have one of these!

In the pictures the 2095 and 2094 look the same. Does anyone know if a 2095 piston and cylinder works on the 2094? My 2094 is an earlier model(has the metal throttle linkage instead of the later cable throttle) but does have the de compression valve. Thank guys

crazy4saws

I did some digging, 2094 part number, 506 15 55-04 supersedes to 506 15 55-06. The new # is then used on 2095 IPL. This cylinder/piston assembly is also used on the K950. I got a lead on a NOS for $200.

Sorry to hijack this thread but here goes.....I rebuilt mine with a baileys PC kit. It runs, ok, I haven't been impressed with its power, very doggish with a 24". I believe Im going to open the muffler up, check compression, possibly remove the spacer and check squish. Maybe down the line Ill port it, in which case Ill use the NOS OEM kit. 

This black riser threads into the fuel tank and seals with an o ring, the 90 swivels and connects a line to the remote fuel vent assembly, on the clutch side of the carburetor housing. I rebuilt the saw 5 years ago and this was replaced. I snapped the thread of the end of the tube when I removed the carb after my brother put bar oil in the gas tank.(located beside each other on this saw) The black piece is obsolete.

Its a 12 or 14mm with an odd pitch of 1.00 or 1.25, I cant remember. Made an adapter on the lathe to 1/8"npt then used a barb adapter to get to the line size. Its a little crude but its sealed. First attempts where adapters with a push connection adapter threaded on top instead of the hose barb. I couldn't get these to seal around the rubber hose.

HolmenTree

That's a great modification and will last a long time. Sure helps it's a solidly built magnesium saw.

crazy4saws

Thanks Holmen, it would have been a shame to not get it fixed. Yea, a plastic tank would have been different.

BTW, Happy Brithday!

Thank You Sponsors!