iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut

Started by Bruno of NH, May 29, 2018, 06:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Milling my first walnut logs for a customer in 2 weeks.
What's the best degree bands to use.
Thanks Bruno 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

I have gotten good results with the 4° and Walnut. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

I use 4° and slow because I want absolutely flat boards with no wave whatsoever.  My opportunities for sawing Walnut are limited.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I betcha Bruno's are too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

You are right Cfarm :D
Half the logs hit my yard tonight very rare around these parts.
You can find butternut around but this is the first walnut I have laid my eyes on. 
I will order some fresh 4°'s
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

I sawed some Sunday with Turbo 7's, so your 4's would do just fine. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

The first 10 years I had a mill I sawed 80% walnut that I harvested off my own land.  It will saw equally well with about any band.  The problem with walnut is it has deep ridges in the bark that pick up dirt/gravel/sand when skidded.  4 degree bands stay sharp longer than the other bands under those conditions. 

If I only had a couple of logs I would use what ever band I had on hand.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

All those listed are good choices however, I saw mine with standard 7° and 9°, no problems.  4° would certainly give a failsafe flat cut.  Walnut is pretty soft and shears and saws well, very much like cherry, but not as stringy and grabby as butternut, a close relative.

I think sawing technique is critical with walnut.  The pith is to be avoided until the last option, as it will crack significantly when it dries, much like cherry.  So rotate the cant to keep getting lesser width boards, until the smallest usable width with centered pith then cut through.  I usually go down to 4 inch.  Sapwood will pull badly on walnut so saw it off faces and edges, or keep it balanced, such as on live edge slabs.

Read the stress in the cant and saw to get the boards to slip sideways in the kerf rather than raise up.  Bowed walnut is bad, edge curved but flat boards are much better behaved and produce better lumber.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

carykong

Chuck White

I have sawn a few Walnut logs and I've always used a 10° and had good results, just make sure you have a "sharp" band!

My suggestion would be to use the same bands you regularly use regardless of what degree they are, as mentioned, Walnut this far North is not abundant, but there is "some"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Walnut saws easy and straight.  I buy most of my blades at 10° and sharpen them to 4°, I use the new 10° on walnut a lot with no problems.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bruno of NH

Thanks everyone for the info
That's what I was looking for.
Bruno

123maxbars

I saw with the 7 blades also and I go pretty slow on walnut, I encourage you to take your time and really study the log before milling to capture any crotch figure that might be under the bark. Walnut is about 70% of what I saw in TN and my best money maker when sawed correctly. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Brad_bb

x2 Wear a filter mask.  Even with mask, I get a little phlegm in the back of my throat by the end of the day with Walnut.  Some people can react more to it than that.  Luckily most of us don't.

4 degree, but with my LT15 I don't have a choice.  4 degree gives a smooth cut in walnut.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

PA_Walnut

I choose carbide for my high-grade material. The finish is nearly as smooth as planing the material, so it's a win.

Of course, hitting a nail (yes, people seem to gravitate to putting nails, fences and insulators in walnut) is a real painful moment.  >:(

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Bruno of NH

Im all most finished the walnut job in the office eating lunch.
The log had a lot of sap wood.
I had a fresh vortex 10° band on the mill so I started with that.
It cut great when it dulled went with an other 10°.
The wood seams soft.
Bruno 

firefighter ontheside

I've been cutting lots of walnut with 10° Double hard blades on my LT15 with very good success.  10° are all that I have, by the way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

PA_Walnut

I go to 7° carbides when doing high-value walnut. They cut well, leave a planer-like finish and don't dive unless something wacky happens.
I'm beginning to like 4's a lot more. Magic speaks much wisdom: slow and no diving=win!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!