iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you use as weight

Started by TeenSwinger, December 14, 2006, 06:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeenSwinger

What have you guys found that works well for weight on the lumber stack in the kiln?
We recently bought a DH kiln and have been torn as what to use as weight.
Your experience and expertice would be appreciated. ;)
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

Brad_S.

I use railroad rail in 13' lengths since my kiln is built for 12'+ lumber. Got it long before scrap prices made them worth much. Rail is classified by its weight per yard of length. I'm using 80 lb. rail, but I hope to upgrade to 130 lb rail in the future.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Dan_Shade

I filled a bunch of 24" plastic planters with concrete.  not sure how well the concrete would hold up in a kiln, though.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Burlkraft

I don't have a kiln, but in my air dry shed I built the stringers in the roof extra beefy and when it's full I use 12 ton jacks to apply the proper pressure. Works good......until ya need a jack... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ga_Boy

I wanted to use RR iron, but can not find it in the DC area......

So, I am using retaining wall concrete blocks.  You can pick them up at your local Lowes or HD.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Radar67

I've been strapping my piles down with the rachet tie down straps. I check the tension about once a month.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Justin L

My Kiln is is the building stage, but I plan on building some 2x8 frames with a wood bottom and fill it with concrete. 71/2" is about 115lbs per SF. My frames will be 4'x4' and 4'x6' to allow for different lengths of lumber. Oh yea, I have a forklift...
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Brad_S.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Justin! 8)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

GregS

I also plan on using large rachet straps. 

I embedded 8 flush mounted re-rod loops into the concrete when we poured it yesterday.  I like the idea of using tension springs along with the straps so they self adjust during the drying process.  These large springs might be hard to find though.  I will see how this works out ....

TeenSwinger

Thanks for the responses.  We have considered straps but the way are kiln is designed, that would be hard to incorporate.  The RR rails sounds like that is doable.  That is something we had not thought of.

Justin L

Thanks Brad! I thought it looked like a good place to hang out & share some of my hairbrained ideas :)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

dewwood

I use solid concrete blocks which are readily available and inexpensive and if I need more I can get them easily.  They are reusable and can be stored outside if needed.  I just put another row of stickers on the wood and place my blocks on top of them.  You can use as many as you want.  It has helped a lot with the top boards in the stack staying flat and straight.  I also usually try to put the lowest quality boards right on top of the stack.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

TeenSwinger

That sounds like a very good idea Dewwood. The boards at the top seem to take the must abuse.

metalspinner

QuoteI also usually try to put the lowest quality boards right on top of the stack.

I do this as well, but I use the same top row of boards for every load.  I guess they are a sacrficial row of poor quaility boards to take the abuse of the concrete block.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!