iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Logging and working in the woods

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Over 2100 years with only around 2% of registered members weighing in yet.  :) 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jokers

Quote from: Jeff on July 04, 2008, 04:48:32 PM
Over 2100 years with only around 2% of registered members weighing in yet.  :) 
Oh shoot, if we have to weigh in I can really tip the scales.  :D

JUNEBUG 88

Working on family property in Oceana County, MI since 1972. Started  with a heavy Jonsereds 621 and now have my own saw a much lighter but still powerful Stihl 361.

Rocky_Ranger

I started in 1968 working in road construction, clearing ROW with a chainsaw and muscles - I was still in junior high but had very little brains I reckon (nothing much has changed except my waistline).  Degree in 1976, Masters work in 1977 & 1978, been logging, cruising, scaling,farming, rangering ever since.   I probably should have put this one on the "with the pros" section but I've lived most of my life/career where you measure your days work by the amount of sweat, pitch, diesel, and hydraulic oil you have on your clothes.
RETIRED!

Maineloggerkid

Im only 17, but I have been running chainsaw and taking trees down since I was 12. So I can contribute 5 years.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Good Feller

Well I grew up in town so I was a city kid for the first 13 years of my life,,unfortunately.  My parents ended up building a home on 80 acres out in the country and that's when I got into fishing, hunting, and especially trapping.  By the age of 18 I realized I didn't even know how to run a chainsaw...  worthless!  My first saw was a poulan wood shark.  A walmart special.  I had no idea how to maintain it.  I just ran it,, all the time.  I cut a lot of hedge posts with it.  A few years later I went off to Iowa State to major in forestry.  Best decision I ever made!  After I started school I remember walking through our timber and seeing a 22" dbh red oak(with about 20ft of straight log) that had just died.  I thought boy that would be a shame to just let it rot.  So I got out the 14" poulan wood shark.  I used an entire tank of gas cutting it down.  Whittled at it from all sides.  Now that I think back ,,,, how freaking dangerous!!!  Guess that's how you learn though.  Once I got it cut down I had no way to get it out of the steep ravine.  I used a come along to winch both logs inch by inch to the landing LOL....  I got $103 dollars for those logs. 
Today I own a MS 460 and a 455 husky,,,, and oh yeah, I liked that first wood shark so much I bought a second one.  It's good for small stuff and fits in the 4 wheeler.  I love running saws.  Everywhere I go I try to identify trees and also think to myself how I would go about cutting them down!  I took the game of logging course in Missouri last year.    
Good Feller

thedeeredude

Well, I've only been running saws for a little over a year.  I helped dad buck a little birch tree and chopped two down with an axe a while while back.  I had no clue what i was doing though.  And now I can't wait to put a saw to wood.  We deal with downed trees and dead limbs at work a lot.  So yeah only one year, and hopefully many many more ahead. 

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Samuel

1991 is when I started working with the Department of Natural Resources and Energy in New Brunswick as a summer position.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

lancek

I started in 1974 same as the rest of you been in and out of it but could relalisticly saw[ Opps i should of said say]30 years! Seems it gets into your blood you cant get away form it ! lancek

hunt_x

Hi there I'm new here and have been lurking in the background for a week or so now seems like a great community you have here I have 25 years milling in a wide variety of mills and 6 logging and worked construction (building gas stations) in the slower times. I live in the pacific coastal region of B.C. and worked primarily in the Fraser valley and on Vancouver island I have a wealth of background and experience in our huge coastal species. I am hoping to be an active participant in this forum and I am planning on building a new mill in the new future to cut a stand of large doug fir and WRC here on my property here on vancouver island
Dave Hunter
Shawnigan lake Vancouver island
Davez not here man

rgear

I logged in with about 35 years. Grew up on the Olympic Pennisula of Washington State. Most of you all seem to be from the midwest or east coast. My family worked the woods for years in th 50's, 60's and into the 70's. In 1974 my grandfather, who ran things, told me I was being laid off after labor day so I better go find a job that I could make a living at. I became a firefighter, but because of my woods experince I stayed in the wildfire side of firefighting even though I worked for municipal departments. In my younger years I worked chokers behind a cat on right of ways, worked high lead rigging, did about 3 months in a cedar shingle mill, cleaned creeks after high lead logging on my off days from the fire department and most of all ran cat building road and clearing and burning for many loggers on my off days. I still do a lot of western wildfires, sometimes as many as 70 to 100 days per summer on forest fires. However, my real love is my small circular mill and the fuels reduction work I do for my neighbors arounds their homes and cabins. Unfortunately, we waste a HUGE amount of wood in the west! I am a one man band to try and use whatever we can that gets left by loggers or burned. I enjoy reading the posts here by all of you that are way better at using what is on the ground and hope that someday the west coast learns what you have from hundreds of years more of experince!

timberfaller390

I started in the woods with my grandpaw when I was 10 or so and been loving it since. I've been doing the wildland firefighting like rgear since I was 18. I add about 13 years of saw chips and sweat.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

DLMaine01

I had a cord wood business when I was sixteen down NH way and did that until 19 then joined the US Army for 4 years moved to Maine and logged hardwood and veneer for 10 years or so.
Life has many corners and I wound up close to the Maine Coast cutting Cedar, Pine, Hemlock and Spruce. Of course I cut lots of firewood along the way and still cut enough off our land to provide our winter heat, it is a very good feeling to provide for ourselves.

dsgsr

I started when I was 10 or 11 piling brush for my older bothers back in the late '60's.  First saw I was handed was a Jonsered 621. I was about 14, skinny and could just barely lift the saw. We started out logging with Horses pulling logs and Ponies pulling a a pulp wagon, did that until late teens. I then got away from home went into the Army and then Law-enforcement and didn't hardly touch a saw until I started burning wood for myself in '87. Bought my very own Husky 154 and played with firewood mostly for myself until about 10-yrs ago. I bought a piece of land closer to my hometown, two more saws and now cut my firewood and pulp to sell in the winters. So I guess I can add a solid 10-yrs to that list.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

york

Hi all,
logged in with 60 yrs....Helped me granddad,in what he called his "sugar bush"
they tapped maple trees...I was 9 or 10...then in 9th grade i volunteered to plant plantation trees.... Then,still in school pruned plantation trees,mostly red pines...

Me granddad also had a small circle mill...Also cut and burned firewood most of my life...

Late 60s,wanted to build a log cabin-cut and skidded out red pine-got my first mill,Meadows #1,from dealer in pa.

Also became interested in tree work-became a partner with "Williams tree" not with him any more...

Now i have a Band mill...never did build my log cabin-the wall logs were easy to sell....

I need to keep going-want to get another chipper-love doing tree work...will be 70 in November-feel good....thanks Bert
Albert

semologger

Been logging for 12 years now. My darn dad started us out with a old c5c tree farmer. We started out thinning pine stands. Now we have alot more equipment and working just as hard as the first day. Sawmill or logging is in my blood i guess. Grampa was in the business and 2 uncles still in the wood business. I guess i was just meant to be stuck in the business but couldnt be happier.

chucker

started working in the woods with my dad when i was 10 . we cut pulp and fire wood for sale and for the neighbors here in centeral minnesota. hauled and loaded pulp in an old 1950 ford ? f1 3/4 ton truck. loaded pulp by hand into rail cars for northwest paper co. in brainerd.dad pulled logs and most of the wood with a team of horses, as well as a jd b in later years .i still have dads orignal homelite saw with the gas tank on top of the motor old blue.28 " beaver tail and around 5 horse power.things sure have changed!
now i use a arctic cat 300 and a home made skidder with a hand winch to pull logs from the woods and a small trailer to keep from damageing the trees on a lot clearing job . when ever pulp is at a fair market value the small unit comes handy for a one man operation and a fair days wage. over the years i have learned a lot from watching the ole man of the northern forest do the best he could to do for a family of 12 kids and mom .
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

thecfarm

chucker,welcome to the forum.Pictures would be great.Go to the top of the page and click on to Help.There is a tutorial that will tell you how to post pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rockenbman

I would say I started in my teens but that was off and on over the years and now I part time cut after work .This is my second season for saw logs and fire wood.Working two jobs in cooler weather is hard on a old fat boy like me  :D
I love the smell of burnt fuel pouring out of my Jonesred early in the morning.

Kodiakmac

Worked in the bush with my Dad and Uncle when they were still using horses...wasn't much help in those days.  Then we used a Fordson Major tractor with 1/2 tracks.  I worked in the Upper Fraser Valley (McBride, Prince George) in the early 70's using , Clarks, a Monashee Timber Toter, old 440 JD and Dozers (HD16 and a HD21).  Got out of it for thirty-odd years and now I'm back into it.  Logging is just like hunting: a good way to get away from it all.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

BW_Williams

I've been runnin' a saw in the woods since i could keep the bar out of the rocks! 31 years, how did that happen.  If'n I'd knowed I was going live this long,. . . . . . :)
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

BrandonTN

Phew!! That's alotta years. That's why this board is so great.
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

tw3006

I started logging full time the day i got out of high school, i got my first chainsaw and started cutting firewood when i was 12, so almost 11 years now, but full time logging and tree service for almost 5, have done other things while in high school but when they say sawdust runs in your blood, its true. Theres no other place or occupation i'd rather be.
Hope to learn something from y'all here

Cadenhill

Logged in at 45 years, but probably 50. Always have cut firewood, fence posts, did tree work, and helped a good friend in their family sawmill business. Never have got tired of it.
I have a pair of trained mules that I do some skidding with and working with some morgan horses to do the same.
My kids and I team up and do about 50 cord of firewood each year to heat our homes and my shop.
Cadenhill Farm- 11 Husky's-1 Stihl

Thank You Sponsors!