iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood silo

Started by stumpy, May 13, 2012, 07:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Came across a silo for sale.  it's 12' diameter and 25' high.  the seller says it's cedar, but my resident barn expert, ROOSTER, says it's more likely cypress.  It has to be disassembled.  Anyone out there have experience with something like this?  If it's cypress, is it worth doing?  The boards are 1-1/2 by 7 and 12' long.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

Is it applicable to call Norm and Patty in on this one?  ;)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,19531.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

terrifictimbersllc

When you do it, please take pictures!!!! :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

leroy in kansas

A Pic. would help tremendously?

Al_Smith

It was some time in the early 70's that my friend acquired a wooden silo .It must have been cypress because it wasn't soft as cedar or looked like cedar or smelled like cedar .The staves were tongue and grooved with kind of an offset  angle whereby they fit together in a circular fashion.

What ever it was I had some of it myself and decked a few trailers with it and it proved to be rot resistant . When the structure was standing to only deteriation on it was maybe 4 inches around the bottom of the staves.

I also lived in a house at the time that had an 8 by 24 foot deck that was planked with old silo staves salvaged from an old silo that once sat upon the property before I bought it . No problems what so ever in the 14 years I lived there .

4430jd

I removed two wooden silos from the farm. They were both southern yellow pine. I still use the lumber for special projects.the boards were 6"x10,12,&16ft..Still have the pine smell.

Thank You Sponsors!