iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder grapples

Started by barbender, August 29, 2015, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I've noticed some of the grapple manufacturers are making grapples that have jaws that are tapered on the ends, kind of hard to describe but if any of you have seen them you'll know what I'm talking about. The idea behind them is that they don't pick as much brush up with the wood, and they are supposed to make for easier sorting because the jaws come to a point. We run Huldtins grapples ("buckets" up here) on our Ponsses, the model I am interested in looks to be the 360A from the few pictures I've seen of it. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with them.
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

I have come across them in different videos and always wondered what the idea was behind the shape.   They are available through Ponsse.   

lopet

Can you post a picture ?   Not sure what you mean by jaws.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

barbender

Lopet, the only pictures I have seen are online and I don't know if they are copyrighted. I'll see if I can find a link or something. And by jaws, I mean the to opposing pivoting parts that close on the wood.

barbender

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_0OgyRpFA

At about 1:20 in this video, there is a clear shot of the jaws on this grapple.

lopet

I think I know what you're talking about, but I haven't seen this one before .  By watching the video it actually makes sense and for a good operator it looks  like to be a very helpful tool.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!