iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's my old Tractor Doin?

Started by Lud, March 30, 2006, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

Getting ready to mount an Alt meter in the 841 Ford so pulled the battery and goin' to take off the oil bath air filter for easier access.  So when I loosen the hose clamps and pull off the 2" connector thingy from the back side of the carb a bunch of gas pours out!

So is it just a sticking float?

I'd semi been wondering if I'd been losing gas recently. had thinking about a thread that talked about a rising oil level.  Other evidence was a bit more floor drippage.  Wondering what to start checking.   Coolant level has stayed the same.  That can get to the oil pan, right,  but can gas from the tank some how overflow thru the carb past a sticky float and get in the crankcase?  I don't think so but.........

Last 6 months or so , plugs have been fouling a bit more than years ago so I was thinking rings... but if the oil is getting thinner ......on and on and on.... 

Going round in circles long enough so I thought it was time to ask those who  might  help.

Thanks in advance ??? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Corley5

Your crankcase shouldn't flood with an updraft carb.  The gas would have to get pretty high ;D  Sounds like the float is sticking a bit.  Run some carb cleaner through it and shut the gas off when your done using it.  Several of my old Farmalls will leak gas out the carb if it isn't shut off at the sediment bowl.  No big deal  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Lud

Thanks,    I'll do that.......... ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

IL Bull

That's how my Allis is.  Shut off the fuel or it's self draining. :o ;D :D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Tom

I was just wondering why you need an Altitude Meter in Ohio?  :D

Den Socling

Tom,

that's an altimeter he's installing. Must have some hilly fields.  :D

Den

Lud

Lookiehere Tom & Den,
                                          A gauge is a gauge,  and if I went to the trouble to switch from 6V to 12V so I could run a winch and a pretty good battery died/was killed ( but them nice folks at Walmart gave me another) so it seems like a good time to know what the Alternator is doin!   The little red warning light isn't going to tell me much.   

Alt meter!  You knew what I was talking about!

And I don't have anything to do with little planes.  Back in '70 a student pilot and his trainer punched it in our east 40 acre field.  Hit so hard their spines came out their backs.  Kinda put the stop to Dad's little dream of putting a runway in.  A year or two ago,  I was talking to an electrician at the plant and he claimed to remember the event as he'd been in the air as a student pilot from the same strip and they'd gotten to stay up longer lookin' for the guys who went down.  He explained that it was attributed to human intent- not just a loss of airspeed doing a turn to practice emergency landing  set-ups over a nice long field as we'd always thought.  Seems the trainer was a cop on suspension and the student was close to a divorce- allegedly one or the other made his mind up.

All I know is that hole took a few years to fill in as we plowed.  Kept our eyes peeled too as one of the widows claimed her husband's pinkie ring had come up missing.  Watched for a twinkle as long as we farmed that ground.

Nice rolling hills here,  nothing too steep,  rollover risk pretty minimal.  Good drainage ,  not like that DanG flat ground.

Things may have gotten pretty High around here years ago, not that there's a meter for that other matter. :D :D :D

sawguy21

Ammeter, boys, the word is ammeter :D :D :D :D :D.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

leweee

Ammeter ??? ??? if you want to know if it's charging ......get a VOLT meter. :D :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

wiam

Tom

I don't care.  That was funny.   :D

Grappletractor

Lud , My old Case 530 did the same thing just 2 days ago. It was the float ! It was an easy fix, just four srews and that took the bottom half of the carb off.The One float was sticking to the side of the bowl, made of brass so I just bent her a bit and all was fine !

Lud

Ammeter installed.........check
4 new plugs at $1.58 per installed ................. check
Carb removed , sprayed and blownout............check
841 Powermaster starts right up......................check
All the adivice from my friends at the Forum ..... PRICELESS!!!
:) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!