iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Took the plunge... new skidder

Started by Skiddah, November 13, 2010, 04:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skiddah

So I got really tired of doing long-term leases on skidders and finally bought my own.  Today I became the proud owner of a 1979 C6D Tree Farmer.  It comes from my friend with over $3k of uninstalled new parts and a lot of other extras.  I'm excited, in fact I had a hard time sleeping last night just thinking about it.   8)  Pics to follow.

Woodhauler

I know where you can find a trucker! Hope it makes you a good skidder! They are nice machines!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

mad murdock

congrats! i am sure you will love it!  is it detroit powerd? or duetz? will stay tuned fir pics.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Skiddah

4-53 Detroit powered, 23.1x26 rubber, Gearmatic winch. 

Woodhauler

Gearamatic is the way to go! Very strong as long as you keep the bands dry!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Skiddah

You're right about that!  I made a custom winch cover from an old innertube.  Works awesome!

treefarmer87

thats great! congrats on the new skidder, and a treefarmer @ that  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Skiddah

Promised photo update!!

So my lowbed driver and I took off dark and early this morning and ventured 2 1/2 hours from the garage to go and pickup the skidder.  It poured and poured and poured on the way there, and then torentially rained all the way home.  I didn't want to zap either a digital camera or my BlackBerry, so I used the latter to snap a few pics from the cab of my truck.  More with hopefully sun and a blue sky background to follow this week.  Enjoy these for now.

Woodhauler

Nice looking skidder! Were did you go to get it?

JDeere

8)Congratulations-that is a good looking machine. I hope it works out well for you. 8)
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

a old timberjack

did u get it from davis logging? i thought he had one advertised
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Skiddah

Thanks guys.  I bought it off a friend of mine in Abbot.  He was self-employed and just retired.  He's glad to see it's going to keep working.

Skiddah

Ok, so this is it.  Better weather today results in better pictures.  The rest will be in my Photo Gallery.

The frame's been lengthened 16 inches, arch has been jacked up another 10 inches.  85% Firestone Forestry Specials and 50% chains all around.  Bulletproof fuel locker too which I really like!

Now it just has to dry out so we can get back to work here!

thecfarm

Nice!!! I like that.Make you you put some pictures in the timber harvest methods thread when you get it in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

First off Welcome to The Forum Skiddah  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Thats a nice looking buy you got there the  Tree Farmers where pretty thin on the ground down here as I have only seen about 3 for sale down here in my life but they where popularover the ditch in NZ for a while though  ;) the main brands in Australia  where Timberjack , Clark , Cats and JD's  ;) Dad had both a TJ 205  and a Clark 666 when i was younger but we both still have a soft spot for the Timberjack's  ;)

If is not a rude question what was the damage for your skidder as she's a pretty tidy unit  Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Frank H.

Hey, really nice looking Treefarmer.  Good luck with it.

Bobus2003

Thats a Good Lookin Unit!

Why was the Frame lengthened?.. Sure woulda make a for a Short Unit before she was stretched

Skiddah

I know a lot of the later C6's were called long frames, at least that's how I've seen them listed.  Perhaps the older ones like mine were lengthened to catch up with the later design.  I know the longer frame aids in balance and weight distribution.

barbender

Sharp machine, looks like it's in really good condition.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

That's nice  8) 8)  Why'd they lengthen it ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

More stable in ruff terrain , the arch also was lifted , so it must of been working in hilly country.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!