iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staining green wood - good idea or not?

Started by WoodenHead, August 07, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I have a customer that is thinking of using a semi-transparent stain for pine board and batten siding.  Is it okay to stain green wood (i.e. fresh sawn), or must they use dry material?  I'm not sure I can get their wood dry within their timeline.  If it they were using an opaque (solid) stain I wouldn't quite be as concerned, but it will be semi-transparent.  Any thoughts?

Planman1954

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

beenthere

Certainly "can" do it, and if anything it should be semi-transparent stain. IMO

It is not recommended to stain wet wood, but to let it surface dry at least... a month or so depending on drying weather. For one reason, the battens will shrink leaving an un-stained strip if stained too soon.

What is their timeline and what pine are you talking?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

BT hit the nail on the head.  Stain it green, fine.  But the wood will shrink and leave little unstained streaks from the shrinkage.  However, it could be re-stained at that point.  Might be smarter to wait until the wood shrinks and is stable in place and then stain it.  Otherwise, it would be best to stain each board before it is installed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WoodenHead

The client is talking about 2 weeks.  If I had a month or so, I would air dry it first.  That personally is my preference.  At the very least, I was hoping to encourage them to use dry battens (i.e. cut from dry stock).  Battens tend to become hockey sticks and cork screws when cut green.

The pine is Eastern White Pine (or Northern as some call it).

Kingcha

I guess one could install just the main boards and stain them, then stain the battens before nailing them up.

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!