iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watching a good dog get old. Sad update, she's gone.

Started by gspren, December 22, 2015, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I just came in from tending to Ginger, my Lab/Mix buddy. Ginger turned 14 in July and has been with me since 5 weeks old. Rather than just tell about her when she's gone I want to share her now, this may ramble so I apologize in advance. Ginger's mother was a Lab/Mix stray that showed up at the wife's uncles farm and had several litters during her long life and Ginger is one of 9 from her last litter. The mother didn't have enough milk and since I had goats in milk, at week 5 I brought her home and finished her on goat milk. As chief of farm security Ginger kept the ground hog population under control and announced vehicles coming up the driveway when they were 1,000 ft away. She was and still is a great traveling companion and has traveled in our RVs to 43 states. She has an outside pen attached to 2 buildings, one heated and one not, she spends most of her time in the heated "man cave" not wanting in the house for more than an hour or two. For many years when I opened the door to the man cave she would be standing at the door waiting, now I often go in and she's sleeping and after watching to see if her chest is moving I'll change her water, fix her food and leave without her waking. It's getting harder to get her to eat and sometimes she stumbles but other days she looks OK. She is totally deaf so while I can turn her loose at home when we are anywhere else she stays on the leash. I know someday I may have a hard decision to make but it's not here yet so that's the story of Ginger.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

drobertson

It's always tough, enjoy while you can, sounds like you are,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

Thanks for sharing Ginger's story to date.  Pets are family members that tend to leave too soon, but sure do leave wonderful memories!

Magicman

We have had the pleasure of meeting Ginger and welcoming her both here at home and at the Cabin.  Ginger has you well trained Gary.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

GS,

We are in the same boat with a 15+ y/o shepherd in the front yard. Every day I check and expect to see her gone. She has no teeth, near deaf, cataracts and must have had a stroke last year as can't keep her head straight. It is hard for her to get up and around but she still plays with her log end and thin boards which have been her favorite toys for years. We lost one younger than her last year who stayed inside, had been overseas with us and it tore us up. It is so hard to let them go but part of life I guess. I feel for you. Enjoy Ginger as long as you can.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Losing our 4 legged friends sucks. Sorry.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Yes it really does, but you can't stop time I guess.  Hoping for the best for Ginger.

sawguy21

We had to let two toy poodles go in October, it was really tough but there was no longer any quality of life for either of them. My wife got Lulu at eight weeks, that little dog was her constant companion for over thirteen years and stole my heart too. She went blind last spring and got quite cranky, spent all her time sleeping. Gigi was deaf, going blind, and showed signs of advanced diabetes.
I fully understand it is hard to make the decision but there comes a time when we have to put our feelings aside and do what is best for the animal to end the suffering. All the best.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Your story about Ginger is very Heart-Felt, Gary.

Nice to hear you're keeping her as comfortable as possible.

Thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

r.man

Hey Gary, your post was not too long, it's always a pleasure to hear about a good friend.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Dan_Shade

Our dogs get very close to us.   

"The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon.
But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died,
what would become of me?"
~ Sir Walter Scott
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

I had a dog that would hunt for woodchucks and if they was in the stone wall he would bark at them until I got there to tear the wall apart so he could get to them. Cancer got him way too young at around 11. Man I miss that dog. He would go up into the woods with me. I use to tell the grandkids do not follow Dew,he knows the woods better them me.
Keep the posts coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Since Gingers mother belonged to the wife's aunt/uncle we knew where most of her litter mates went and all that we know of are long gone, I credit her longevity to the fresh raw goats milk she had as a pup. Even though I can tell she is totally deaf I still talk to her when we are walking or just sitting in our man cave, she will sit with you as long as you will keep petting or scratching her head or back. When young her muzzle was nearly black, as was mine, now I tell people that we went grey around the muzzle together. At her age and condition she could go anytime or still be here in July to turn 15, I just hope that she is happy till the end. Thanks all for the comments and please share your similar experiences.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

kensfarm

See if he has a bad tooth or calcium buildup can make the gums sore.  Usually if they are eating.. they're good to go.  This little girl(rat terrier) was adopted..  but I think she adopted me. 

Greyhound

I'm with you man.  We foster/adopt/provide hospice for older dogs.  We've lost 9 in the last 7 years.  Here's our Smokey.  He's at least 15 years old.  Slowing down a lot recently, but still happy and generally healthy.  It's going to be especially hard when he leaves us.

Jhenderson

The sad thing is they don't live long, but they still die old.

WmFritz

I'm glad you shared Gingers story, Gary.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pine

Thank you for Ginger's story.  I like that you started telling us about her now, while she is still around. 

dgdrls

"Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time. Dogs also don't know—or at least don't accept—the concept of death. With no concept of beginnings or endings dogs probably don't know that for people having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness."

Stanley Coren

to be so fortunate as to be able to live with a dog!

I envy you.

Dan

low_48

That's my Ginger in my avatar. Best dog I ever had, best dog I ever met. She could understand enough english, I could almost carry on a conversation with her. At 12 she got to the point I had to lift her hind end off the floor so she could get up. Her spine x-ray showed many fusions, and even a couple of breaks where the fusions had cracked. I can't imagine how much pain she was in. She never complained. She started having bowel control trouble since she would strain too hard to get up on her own. I asked the vet to come out to the van to release her from the pain. He preps her leg for the shot, and Ginger licks his hand. Just like she knew the relief was coming. Tearing up just typing, and it's been 2 years. Keep your Ginger close as her time nears!

Chuck White

Quote from: low_48 on December 24, 2015, 12:27:20 AM
That's my Ginger in my avatar. Best dog I ever had, best dog I ever met. She could understand enough english, I could almost carry on a conversation with her. At 12 she got to the point I had to lift her hind end off the floor so she could get up. Her spine x-ray showed many fusions, and even a couple of breaks where the fusions had cracked. I can't imagine how much pain she was in. She never complained. She started having bowel control trouble since she would strain too hard to get up on her own. I asked the vet to come out to the van to release her from the pain. He preps her leg for the shot, and Ginger licks his hand. Just like she knew the relief was coming. Tearing up just typing, and it's been 2 years. Keep your Ginger close as her time nears!

Reading those few words will cause tearing too, thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

I got a lab that not far behind yours.
He not moveing so fast anymore.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

I don't have the picture but my sister and bil "adopted" a stray yellow lab, the picture was my (at the time) young niece laying on her in their yard.  Anyone who knows dogs knows they can smile and hers was a mile wide in that picture.  Funny story about her was that he was a deputy and picked her up along the road, knew she belonged to someone, placed adds and never got any feedback so they took her in to be spayed, it'd already been done  :D, I won't let him live that one down!  She was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known.   We're still missing our mastiff Miley and hoped during harvest that someone would have found some remains so at least we knew but no one found anything  :'(.

petefrom bearswamp

You have had a wonderful companion.
My last guy, a Deutch drathaar had to be put down at 9 yrs old after a second scrap with a porcupine that ended with quills way down his throat.
He has been gone for 11 yrs now.
Still think of him often.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

plowboyswr

Had a stray come wandering into my life and I spent two weeks trying to get him to move on. Finally I gave up, gave in and spent the next ten years with him. Lost him to cardiac arrest on a cold snowy day in January five years ago. Only dog I knew that would try to sing to ya.

that would be my chigger.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!