iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting use to new eye glasses,

Started by drobertson, February 16, 2016, 02:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

So I got this new pair several months ago, never was happy, just did not feel right, prescription was spot on, just the pads and ear hooks, ya know just off a bit,  yes they did good fitting and I went on home 30 min drive so I wore the old ones, well like an old pair of boots, I had the old ones fitting like a glove, after I got home and put on the new ones it only took less than an hour before they started driving me crazy, nose pads way to small, hooks off, but clear vision. So I just put them away, later tried again, and again, this went on for another month at least, well I did get more comfortable nose pads, but the ear hooks I'm still working on,   My old ones are bout shot, scratches and all so it's time to get things right, and work these in, I suppose no one else ever has issues with eye glasses,,,?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Seavee

I hate to get new glasses, never know if they are going to fit better or worse. This pair I have now seems to be working out good.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

yukon cornelius

I am starting to think that I may need some. I get headaches reading and had issues with my deer shooting skills last season. I couldn't focus on the rear sight. Several deer heard a noise but felt no pain.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Yuke, that can happen with the best of eye sight :D :D but a check up would not hurt,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

I just go back and have them re-fitted. Don't try doing much myself.. last time they stuck new pads on them and they worked out just fine. Costco is where I've picked up the last two pair.

Got caught in the Fed. law that won't allow them to replace glasses with a prescription that is more than two years old.
I lost mine in the snow while in the woods cutting trees... made the call to Costco to have a new pair on the prescription they had on file... nope, couldn't do that and I was up the proverbial creek.
Fortunately, my buddy poked around and found them buried in the snow and ok. Life saver... now I will keep the old pair handy just in case, and in my car when travelling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

I get an eye checkup once a year but my prescription rarely changes so I don't always get new glasses.  I've been buying local and sometimes the glasses are fairly expensive.  A few months ago I bought a new set from an online place called Zennioptical.com.  Great prices.  My first pair came in and they were just as good or better than anything I've bought in the past.  I was so impressed I fired off another order for reading glasses, sun glasses, and two pair of replacement frames.  Again I was impressed...getting ready to fire off a third order.  Figure if I scatter enough reading glasses around the house I'll always have a set to use.

So far the only down side I've seen is it takes about ten days or two weeks to get an order.  I used a digital metric caliper to take measurements to insure I got the right fit.  I'll continue to get all my glasses from them as the savings were impressive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

I tried buying my progressive/no-line-bifocals online and even though my local eye Doctor kindly checked them for accuracy, I can't stand them ! Get a headache almost immediately and feel dizzy. Apparently there are different ways to make the same prescription and these are just too different from the very good ones I've bought from the local guy.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

21incher

Take them back for a adjustment. I go to Empire Vision and they will make them right for a year. They heat the plastic ends in something that looks like hot sand so they bend easy and stay there. I had a screw strip out and a nose peice fall off on a pair after 14 months and they gave me a new $250.00 frame for free because they could not fix the old one.:).
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Chuck White

My glasses drive me nuts! >:(

I only need reading (or up close work) glasses, beyond that my vision is better than 20-20.

When I'm working on something up close and I need something more out of the tool box, it drives me nuts, I start getting dizzy and "want to" just throw the glasses.

I could get bifocals, but the x2 glasses off the rack at the drug store are all I need, so a perscription pair would just be an added expense. 

I could get a pair of the little "look-over" type glasses, but I think I'd develop a complex or something!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tree-farmer

I've worn glasses since 1st grade. Was not learning to read, someone finally figured out I could not see the chalk board. (Not dumb, just near sighted) I remember fist time I could see clearly, just thought every thing beyond arms length was supposed to be fuzzy.
Read and do close work without them, but walking across room is an adventure without glasses. Tried contacts in past, but kept poking my self in the eye trying to push glasses up.
Gave  up before I lost an eye.... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

thecfarm

Take "em back!!! You spent your hard earned money on something that is not right. I betcha when you go back and show them what is not right,they will see it too. My wife got some glasses from walmart. Not right at all. Each lense was diffeant. They fixed it and all was well.
I've had at least 2 pair,maybe 3 and all has been well. I expect to put them on and look around and see better each and every time. And so far that's the way it has been. Kinda like making the light brighter in a room, a big improvement.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: tree-farmer on February 16, 2016, 06:59:15 PM
Tried contacts in past, but kept poking my self in the eye trying to push glasses up.
Gave  up before I lost an eye.... :D
:D :D :D :D sorry    you sound like my wife   don't know how many times i almost wet my pants  laughing at her 

Corley5

I got my first pair of glasses in 1st grade.  My first contacts when I was a sophomore and six years ago this summer I had laser correction surgery.  Best money I ever spent.  No more corrective lenses although I will eventually need reading glasses.  They can't correct aging  ;) ;D  I bought contacts by the dozen pair and kept a pair of glasses to get me to bed after taking them out and to the bathroom to put them in.    It took a long time to quit reaching for my glasses in the morning.  I still have the extra large digit alarm clock ;D :)
  I'd recommend the surgery to anyone :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

samandothers

As suggested by others go back to the place that made the glasses for you.  Tell them the issue they should adjust them.  They have the tools needed and the skill, or should have.   No need to be uncomfortable.   

trapper

My wife and I get our glasses from zinnie also. We have had better luck with them not scratching than ones from the optician.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

sandhills

Don't need to get me started on glasses, my wife laughs at me because they're the first things I put on in the morning and the last things I take off at night.  I've had them since third grade and would love to have the surgery but just scared I guess, I can't hardly see my nose in front of my face without them, I have an old spare set in the toolbox just in case.

Roger2561

I'm virtually blind without my glasses.  I've been wearing them for as long as I can remember.  I've had the progressive lens for the last couple of years and now I'm starting to get used to them.  They're great when working at the computer; a quick head adjustment and I can clearly see the keyboard (I cheat when typing) and the screen.  The down side to these lenses is they are made of plastic and scratch easily.  I was used to glass lenses where you could almost run a nail across them without scratching them.  I'll be contacting my optician to see if she'll send me in pdf form my prescription so I can see what they cost at one of the outlet stores online.  I'm thinking I'll use my refund check from the feds to pay for a set of prescription safety glasses and save my regular glasses for events other than work environments.     
Roger

thecfarm

I had safety glasses with my last pair. Much handier when doing something,no need to put goggles on. But the selection does drop off. At the places I went to it did. If they had 400 frames for regular glasses,it dropped off to about 50 for safety ones. They should have the side shields too. Mine was removable. I wore mine all the time and no one would they was safety glasses with the side shields removed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on February 16, 2016, 05:27:56 PM

Got caught in the Fed. law that won't allow them to replace glasses with a prescription that is more than two years old.

Same thing up here, but I don't know if it's a federal law, might just be how the profession is practiced. I wonder if there is a federal law for heart surgery?

Don't seem to apply at the patten office if you want to patten a counterfeit detector pen that the secret service knows doesn't work at all to detect counterfeit currency. Oh but there is more to it than that, I'll spare ya. Trust me it's baffling. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

When I order from Zenni, I just fill in the blanks on there prescription form.  They have no idea where the prescription comes from or when it was written.

Maybe the Fed law you guys speak of is selectively enforced?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

We guys aren't. I have no idea if it's stamped in law up here or not. All I know is they will not fill old prescriptions at reputable eye wear shops. Now you can go and try and fit old lenses to new frames, but good luck, often the frames change so much that it's about impossible to match them. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

QuoteMaybe the Fed law you guys speak of is selectively enforced?

And I only know what I was told by an employee.. maybe just using it as an excuse to not honor my old prescription.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Roger2561 on February 17, 2016, 05:57:28 AM
I'm virtually blind without my glasses.  I've been wearing them for as long as I can remember.  I've had the progressive lens for the last couple of years and now I'm starting to get used to them.  They're great when working at the computer; a quick head adjustment and I can clearly see the keyboard (I cheat when typing) and the screen.  The down side to these lenses is they are made of plastic and scratch easily.  I was used to glass lenses where you could almost run a nail across them without scratching them.  I'll be contacting my optician to see if she'll send me in pdf form my prescription so I can see what they cost at one of the outlet stores online.  I'm thinking I'll use my refund check from the feds to pay for a set of prescription safety glasses and save my regular glasses for events other than work environments.     

The last time I bought glasses was a little over 3 years ago.  I was told that ALL glasses had to be Lexan (plastic) now for safety reasons.  Supposedly, they won't shatter like glass if something hits them.  I can see that for safety glasses, but regular?  Must be a conspiracy to make you buy more glasses when you scratch the old ones. ;)

I had insurance so I bought an identical Flexon frame with the new, stronger reading lenses (vari-focal).  My sight is 20-15/20-20.  So right after I retired (and lost the insurance), my "good pair" of glasses fell off and as I went to pick them up, I stepped on them :-\ :-X
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

It's funny about frames. I've seen TV news clips and so on that portray frames as expensive items, like $400 and up. I don't think I have paid more than $300 for 2 pair of glasses with frames, two pair not one. Maybe they need to find a new glass eye wear shop.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!