iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees of Stratford

Started by Ianab, July 13, 2010, 04:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Went for a wander through the local park the other day and noticed some new saplings had been planted.

On a closer look, they have found all the other town called Stratford and planted one of their local trees.

I suspect that our Stratford is the only one of the towns that you could actually do this, warm enough (most of the time) for the Aussie gum tree, but not too hot and dry for the Rimu which is a temperate rainforest tree.

The local parks have a lot of huge old native and exotic trees, nice to see they are still planting them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishpharmer

That cool.  It's a shame  they don't let that cute little girl in all the Stratfords of the world. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LIL

:D I don't think all the Stratfords of the world are quite ready for "the cute little girl" to be released yet  ;)
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Magicman

What a very neat idea.  So much research and planning and a very good walking/learning tour for students on a field trip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

I love it!  That is one of the coolest park projects I've heard of, but surely there are more Stratfords in the world than that.  Do you know if there are more trees coming?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

okmulch

There is a Stratford, Oklahoma.  I was through there last Thursday. They are known for the peaches, I happened to purchase a box or two1 :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

DanG

You otter mention it to their Mayor, Okmulch.  He might be interested in sending something.  I bet they could come up with an Eastern Red Cedar. :D  Things like this are a great way for small towns to inspire civic pride and keep people interested in their little town. :) :) :)

I started looking for Stratfords in the Atlas index, but the print was too small and I couldn't find my magnifying glass.   I did spot one in Wisconsin, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

okmulch

DanG, I might get into trouble if Eastern red cedar starts over taking the park like it did here in Oklahoma. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Brucer

As it happens, today is the 57th anniversary of the opening of the Stratford Festival in Stratford, Ontario. It began as a series of performances of Shakespeare's plays and is now a world class festival with 4 theatres (last time I counted).

Stratford (Ontario) has some beautiful parks, and that has me thinking. Wouldn't it be great if all the other Stratfords would develop similar parks?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ctklrdon

This was nice to see and read. Thanks for posting.

I live an hour northeast of Stratford, CT. and have been through there many times!!!

Too bad they did not mention anything about this in our news. Seems like it's all about negative news nothing much positive and we wonder why the world is going bad.

Don
187 saws in our collection, all colors from 1947 to 2007

Thank You Sponsors!