iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One for the Boaties

Started by Ianab, January 19, 2011, 05:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Been some rough weather here last few days.  Heavy rain, lots of wind etc.

This is a couple of boats crossing the Greymouth river bar.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Boats-struggle-to-cross-Greymouth-River-Bar/tabid/309/articleID/195020/Default.aspx

:-\

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Papa1stuff

Wow ,I get seasick just watching that vidio!!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

Better them than me.   :o   Thanks for sharing that video, wow. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Yup I wudda been hangin' over the side  steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sandhills

No I don't think you'd have been hanging over the side, at least not for long ;D.  good video, thanks for sharing.

metalspinner

The one guy was hanging out on the deck taking video footage. :o :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

When 9320 broached, I thought he was gone.   I don't know if he turned on purpose and drove the bow into the water, but that is a dangerous maneuver and will sink even a big ship.  The aftersea, or wave lifts the rudder and screw out of the water and pivots the boat to the side, on the bow, and the wave hits it broadside and rolls it over.  You sure need to close all hatchs and doors and clear the weather decks when you go through a rip like that. :D

D Hagens

That looks like a bad day to go fishing. :D
I know I can't see worth a bean but did the one guy only have one outrigger set? Was wondering why he wasn't going in circles.

customsawyer

I think I will keep putting up with wind and sawdust before that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bitternut

WOW!!!! I just lost my supper watching that video. Those guys must be nuts. :o ;D

SPIKER

Must be a HECK of a tide coming out or really heavy flood waters leaving the harbor area...   talk about 1 step forward and 3 steps back!   I been on Lake Erie in 6~8 foot waves which are much closer together in much smaller boats & that can be fun.  When you see 10'+ waves on Lake Erie that is something to watch & every now & again some low IQ guy will get out there in them big waves with a surf board and or wind board.   :o :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mikerat

That's one of the best videos I have scene, I agree with TOM when she brooched I thought it was all over what a washmachine! I spend lots of time on Lake Michigan but never anything like that.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Ianab

Quoteevery now & again some low IQ guy will get out there in them big waves with a surf board and or wind board.

That's the BEST time to go out  8)

Shot from a local beach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YNlUe5Sqo

I know those big lakes can cut up pretty rough in a storm, but the first land you come too off this beach is Sth Africa - that's a LOT of water for the swells to build up  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

The compression of a long telephoto lense can certainly make these scenes look busy, but I wouldn't minimize the force of them.  Those surfers best know what they are doing, especially if the bottom is as rocky as the shoreline.

Our beaches in Florida produce some decent surf, but aren't long enough to give rides like that beach.  The one in Jacksonville at Ft. George Inlet, provides its rides by combining an outgoing river mouth with a long beach and a long jetty separates it from the outgoing flow of the St. Johns River.   Still, the best rides are taken by the windsurfers.

logman

Looks like the bar crossing at Cape D at the mouth of the Columbia River.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Tillaway

Good video Ian.  The Bar crossing here look like that about every day near the bottom end of the ebb flow.  Most folks just wait it out and come in on the flood.  Those that don't tend to loose boats or worse.  BTW those boats looked like they were rigged for albacore trolling, I saw line pullers on the stern with a troll pit and some light out riggers.  They looked nearly identical to the trollers working the NE Pacific.

I will try to dig up a link to a video of a 54' boat flopping right on the Tillamook Bay bar very near where I live.  It happened in October, 2010.  The bar into Tillamook Bay is the worst on the Oregon coast and from what I have heard the worst on the west coast with any commercial traffic.  The Columbia River Bar (Cape D) has big surf at the extremes but is passable under most winter conditions.  Tillamook on the other hand has the boats cooped up inside too much.  Tillamook skippers get to watch the boats from the Columbia river ports pick Tillamook bay boats crab pots from the beach. The skippers of the Tillamook boats get a little hot about their crab being stolen as they watch. 

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!