iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Staircase

Started by Ianab, August 09, 2004, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Got my regular woodwork magazine today and it had an interesting article on a staircase a guy in Northland (NZ) had built into his woodcraft shop. It was carved out of one buried Kauri log that is 45,000 years old :o
There is a picture of the thing on his web page at
http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/
and
http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/stairs.html

It's one solid log and he has hollowed it out with a chainsaw, so you walk up the stairs INSIDE the log.
Worth a look  8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kevin

Furby

Ooooooooooooooooh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
I'll take a staircase like that for my next house. Man that really IS cool!!!  8)

Fla._Deadheader

WOW  8) 8) That is purdy slick.

We know where there is a piece of Cypress that is hollow and over 7' across. Anybody know a family of "little people" ??? ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

when in Florida , I went inside a home made out of a single log!
Itcould sleep 4-5 peolpe, had a kitchen also....it was built out of redwood (hollowed out)
rippleys believe it or not had it on a trailer showing it.............believe it or not!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Gilman

I'd like to see a video of the excavation of those monsters.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Furby

Deadheader. I might be interested in that one.
What'll ya charge me for it???
How long is it?

Fla._Deadheader

Furby, you can have it, no charge. ;D  I will even show you where it is.  Bring yer chopper to airlift it. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Ah, heck! Is this some kinda trick?
Man, there's no other way???

Ok really, more detail.
Length?
Outside dia.?
Inside dia.?
How punky is it ???
Weight? A guess will do, but if ya really weigh it, drop it on a flatbed when you are done will ya?  ;D

rebocardo

I have seen that site before (not the staircase). What an awesome idea!

etat

Furby, my head has been just a spinning after yer IM tryin to figure out this here issue of transporting a hollow log from FLA, to MI!  I pretty much think you've got the start of a  good idea!

This CFI probate, bankruptcy thing I mentioned earlier is pretty much taking up most of my time at the moment making it hard to get the thoughts completely together. Really taking a toll on me. If I do ever get out of this mess and get the FEDS from breathing down my neck I may consider reforming and renaming the Co.  

If you could hear me talking to these Fed's you'd think it was IFC ('I FORGET COMPLETELY)'   ???   instead of CFI.

As one of the founding members and VP of the Co. they been pushing me hard to reveal information about hidden or missing assets but MUM's the word per Kirk's advice!  I even successfully convinced em that a horse was a hog!  

So, getting back to your IM.  The only tangible asset that we have left that is not hidden, or squirreled away is the fact that one of our members was a famous movie star.  

So far I've held out from giving them the location, or real name of the one and only person that might could, through a movie or documentary, raise enough funds to satisfy outstanding debts, and taxes.

OOPS gotta run, think I just heard something pull in the driveway.  I HOPE it ain't them again!!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Run Ck, Run!
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

etat

Boy, had a rough night last night.  I wish I could figure out how the CIA got involved!  I guess it's because it was an international company !  When they pulled in I hopped out an upstairs window and danged if they didn't tree me before I could skinny off the roof and hit the woods!  I got out of that by telling em I was looking at the stars! :) Then they grilled me pretty hard with a light shining in my eyes  but the most I'd give up was a few cases of unmarked CPR, (canned possum roadkill) and told em it was country caviar!  Mixed it up with some crackers and onions and we washed it down with some  RC Cola. They  finally left in a pretty good mood.  I'm hoping the worst is over!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!