iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulley size for motor

Started by jrokusek, March 23, 2005, 12:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

Still building my bandmill.  Quick question.  For the pulley size on the motor - I probably wouldn't want to go smaller than 4" would I?  I'm betting that smaller ones may slip more.  Here's what I'm working with:

13 HP horizontal shaft engine, 3600 RPM at full throttle
20.5" bandsaw tires (trailer tires)

Driven pulley?  15" or so?
Jim

EZ

My driven pulley is 24 inch (dia) and the motor pulley is 5 3/8, if this helps you got. I run a 16 hp and it saws good for me threw 35 inchers.
EZ

D._Frederick

J.,

What do you want your blade speed to be? This will determine what your pulley sizes should be.

jrokusek

I checked out www.ebandsawblades.com as someone suggested in another post.  Their site recommends 5300 sfpm.  It wasn't real clear, but I think that is the ideal speed based on the blade width.  Could be reading it wrong though.  I was shooting for the 5300 sfpm number.

BTW, the Cottonwood/Poplar thread that's running is real timely.  I have a feeling that'll be the first tree that I turn into lumber.  We don't even use it for firewood around here so if I screw it up no one will care.

Jim

pigman

Jim,
According to my $3.00 calculator the motor pulley needs to be about 4.5in to give the blade speed you wanted. That is assuming the motor does not slow down under load.  :P
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

Here ya go.  ;D ;D

Motor RPM X Motor Pulley dia. Divided by Driven Pulley Dia. X Band Wheel Dia. X 3.1416 Divided by 12 = SFPM

Caint find that there Divided by little symbol thingy ??????

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jrokusek

I took that formula and put in an Excel spreadsheet a while ago.  It's a lot easier to play with combinations and get an instant answer. 

Being the cheap type of person that I am I was thinking of trying to use the smallest pulley's possible to save some money.  Then I got to thinking that small pulleys may slip more since less of the pulley is in contact with the belt.   I think I'll just go with 4" or larger so I don't have to worry if there is any slippage or not.

BTW, I was able to pick up some steel yesterday for a really good price.  I got 8' sections of 3"x3"x1/4" angle for $10 each.  I should have bought the whole lot of it.  I should have enough to make the track and crossmembers.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!