iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next victom, Highly valuable black walnut

Started by hackberry jake, February 12, 2013, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A retired co-worker told me if I help him bring this tree down without landing it on his house, then I could have the logs. 

I sure hope it doesn't have much metal in it being a yard tree, but its worth a shot  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have had logs like that before Jake. If it belongs to me...I can deal with the metal when it come to Walnut.

Now on the other hand.....if you drop it on the house......metal won't matter to you anymore.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

The worst scenario is that it lands on the house, and you don't get the logs. Go for it.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on February 12, 2013, 08:55:18 PM
The worst scenario is that it lands on the house, and you don't get the logs. Go for it.  ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D Funny Brother Been.   :D :D :D :D :D :D What the heck Jake......go for it. :D :D :D :D :D

I can't stop LAUGHING........Take your camera Jake.....film at 11.

I got tears coming down my face...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

tyb525

Make sure the homeowner makes the felling cut!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

T Welsh

DanG Jake, First you get a free Cherry,know your temping us with a free Walnut :D. Be careful not to scratch the house and be safe and cover yourself and take pictures. Tim

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

ten four on the long cable, it does look doable, and might be one of the rare ones that have no metal.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sumday

If you have room to pull it with cable or strap, do it. I've done several oaks that would make at least two of that tree, hanging over my house, with a strap and my son pulling/directing the fall with my truck. And as beenthere said.....

WDH

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 12, 2013, 08:50:36 PM
A retired co-worker told me if I help him bring this tree down without landing it on his house, then I could have the logs. 

What happens if it lands on the house?  He keeps the log?   :D :D :D  Hard for you to lose in this deal!

(Note to self and to Jake:  There is no way that this log is metal free  :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JSwigga

a walnut that close to a house...I can't imagine the amount of metal in that thing.  Hopefully the upper will be nice a clear for you.  Good luck!
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 12, 2013, 09:48:31 PM

(Note to self and to Jake:  There is no way that this log is metal free  :D).

My Dad was cutting a metal bar once and found a piece of Walnut in it.  ;D I guess they go hand and hand.

mikeb1079

i may be a bit jaded here but that's alot of work and risk for some walnut logs.  wait a minute....i'm not doing the work or taking the risk.....on second thought, go for it jake!   ;D ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Tree Feller

I'd go for that deal. A rope or cable tied to a tractor or truck will pretty much eliminate it falling on the house. For a Walnut that size, I'd tolerate the odd nail or three, also.

Go for it, Jake!
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hackberry jake

I said "highly valuable". I didn't say wether it was in th form of walnut lumber or scrap metal... Hehehe  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Solomon

Quote from: JSwigga on February 12, 2013, 09:51:33 PM
a walnut that close to a house...I can't imagine the amount of metal in that thing.  Hopefully the upper will be nice a clear for you.  Good luck!
Every now and again you get a tre like that , that's clean and clear.   Keep us posted Hack.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Paul_H

The house would cushion the fall and save out the tree.The best place would be where the two roofs meet at the porch.I saw a video once where a fella used the porch of his house to save out a large tree and you could hear his wife's shouts of joy in the background.Good times. :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

terrifictimbersllc

Tell the family to pack their suitcases and come outside when you fell it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jemclimber

Please don't use a rope attached to a piece of equipment like a truck or tractor on a tree that size. There is no way of knowing the amount of force you are applying to the rope. You are much better off attaching the rope to a secure anchor point like another tree and using a come-a-long, Maasdam,  or Z-rig along with wedges to pull it over.  I cant see the top of the tree and can't judge the lean by the pics,  but getting your attachment point as high as possible or even 2 attachment points is better.  Use the tallest ladder you have if you don't climb, and remember to not cut through your hinge.  On big trees getting pulled over I sometimes make relief cuts on the bottom side of big branches so they fold as the tree drops instead of cracking  them or making the tree roll as it hits the ground. Good luck.
lt15

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WIwoodworker

Pretty cool looking tree Jake. As nice of a tree as it is though I wouldn't take the risk unless I knew for sure what I was doing (ie trained/experienced). I would be less concerned about dropping the tree on the house as I would be for the person's safety making the cut. To fell away from the house you'll be standing behind the tree or next to it but if something goes wrong you're pinned between the tree and the deck with no escape route. Safety first friend.

Peterson 9" WPF

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 13, 2013, 06:59:09 AM
Tell the family to pack their suitcases and come outside when you fell it.

The voice of experience?  :D

ArborJake

It's hard to tell from your picture but it looks like a large leader goes out over the deck. If so trying to drop that tree directly away from the deck could cause it to twist on the stump. You would need leverage on that lead.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Slab Slicer

Quote from: ArborJake on February 13, 2013, 08:15:57 PM
It's hard to tell from your picture but it looks like a large leader goes out over the deck. If so trying to drop that tree directly away from the deck could cause it to twist on the stump. You would need leverage on that lead.

My thoughts exactly. Would be nice to see more of the top of the tree, with reference to where the house is, but that leader could present a problem. Now if you were a climber, had a couple of pulleys, a porta-wrap, and some good rigging line, that leader could be taken off first in pieces.

All kidding aside, if you decide to go for it, be smart, and be safe.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Okrafarmer

Come on now, of course it's worth it. We all know the tree is worth more than the house, right?  :D My uncle's cousin's ex-daughter-in-law's new boyfriend said somebody offered them $150,000 for that tree once, but they held off, waiting for the market to come up.  :laugh:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!