iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Red Cross

Started by Kevin, October 03, 2003, 06:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Stephen_Wiley

Oh good,  now my emloyees get to take a 30 minute break to allow the saw to cool before refueling.

Let's see increase bid to account for 4 refuels .........hmmm 2 hours of down time.......no production.  Job will take another day to complete.

Hey customer more money !

Obviously, never heard of a funnel or steady hand to pour with.  :D
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Kevin

I think this was geared to the general public who aren't that familiar with chainsaws.
LW ran into this awhile back when she was working away from home with the Red Cross.
A tree comes down and they race to the store to buy a chainsaw.
Throw the manual aside, fuel it up and start ripping and tearing.
It has to be a problem for the Red Cross to even bother with it when they're so busy dealing with natural disasters.

Stephen_Wiley

Kevin,

I kind of figured it was.........  I just could not help thinking of the the comments from an employee who would get his hands on it.
So I injected the humor.

Unfortunately, those that would throw away the saw instructions would most likely throw  these safety tips away too.

Actually, it would make a good flyer to post in public places. So those who are unexperienced would be made aware of  chainsaw safety and the consequences of ignoring safe practices.

L. Wakefield

I suspect that one of the uses the Red Cross will make of this is to post it up and hand it out specifically during the heat of disaster cleanup. I know I would have liked to have had it earlier. Some of the people I helped needed to take a break anyway. Sit them down with snax and the leaflets, let them talk about how things are going- hopefully leave a safer set of people. Granted that we don't have the full safety gear to hand out- but I saw people cutting hanging off of trees, bare-chested, no safety equipment at all. In the heroic (but often not sensible) phase. If we were public safety- but we're not- we could make more headway in ensuring a safe situation. But we can persuade, refer, and bring things to the attention of-say-public works. They also sometimes have matching services so that peoples' needs can be matched to volunteers who know what they are doing in a professional sense.

That was true with the Cedar County Cemetary. A monument company was going to come in and set the tombstones back up. The tornado had blown them over. This would save many family members from putting out their backs trying to get the stones back in place. But they would have to wait til the ground dried out.

It brings a community together.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Stephen_Wiley

QuoteSit them down with snax and the leaflets, let them talk about how things are going- hopefully leave a safer set of people.  

Always very effective tool: in a situation to where you can get small groups discussing what is on a leaflet.

L. Wakefield

Yes, it serves a lot of purposes if you can get them to take a break- community open sp[eaking about what happened, teaching/learning- and then they all can keep after each other about safety.

It happens that in the one family I am thinking about one of the kids was prone to seizures- they'd all been working non-stop in the hot sun in an emotional tear to get things cleaned up- it was all-important for them. Dad had bunged himself up some with the chainsaw, Mom was running back and forth between sawing and worrying about the seizure-prone kid, who was sitting in the truck beet-red from sunburn and heat, none of them had any water, they hadn't stopped to eat, they were all upset, and they didn't want to stop working.

It happens that we had our sit-down on the porch (fortunately intact) out of the sun as I checked the boy's temp and vital signs, and made sure he wasn't going to seize right then. They drank water and had snax (I told them where to go to get a square meal but the ERV wasn't right there- it was circulating with hot food but off in another part of town), and they told me their story. I talked about general safety, chainsaws, made sure Dad was doctored and didn't need stitches, passed out sunscreen and bug spray for the ticks, and tried to let them give themselves the emotional space to realize that it didn't all have to be done that day.

I hope I left them better off. That chainsaw leaflet would have been ideal- amateurish- but that's what these folks were. It wasn't their first time with a saw, but chainsaws and turbulent emotions don't mix well.

It had been so long since I'd used one of the 'shake-down' thermometers that I forgot to shake it down. It claimed his temp was 106*. I took a good long look at him, then at the thermometer, and bust out laughing. They all laughed when I told them what I'd done.

I hope and pray when and if my neighborhood is hit by such misfortune, there will be helping hands here. We can all be on the receiving end at any time.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bro. Noble

LW,

Thanks for sharing that experience with us.  I can imagine that similar events took place many times.

Thanks also for checking on my friends ,the Hubbards,  while you were there.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!