iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips for buying used MS 461

Started by kootenaywood, January 12, 2016, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kootenaywood

Hey folks,
First time poster here. I do firewood up here in the West Kootenays in BC and I'm looking to add a saw to my business. I am getting by with an MS362 on a 20" bar but know I should have a backup in case it bites the bullet (looking at around 80 cords total this fall/winter and 100+ next year for a one man operation). Mostly Larch - some upto 30" but mostly 8"-22". I was looking at getting something similar in size but found a 6 month old 461 for $660 or around half retail price. Story is buddy bought it for a short contract and is done with the saw now as his smaller saws do the trick for everything else. Its got a 33" bar with a skiptooth on it and apparently low hours. I realize it's more saw than I probably need but for the price its by far my best value if its in good shape.

Just wondering what folks would check for before buying and if they think its good for the job at hand.

Cheers,

J

deerslayer

Power wise, that's a good saw for bucking up wood but you would want a shorter bar. The 20" from your 362 would fit. Sounds like a decent price. The things to check are the usual. ie, how does it start, idle, oil, cut? A peek at the piston through the exhaust port is always a good thing. Most Stihl saws, this can be accomplished in about 10 minutes. I don't have any direct experience with the 461, just the MS460.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

DonnerParty

The 461 is a fantastic saw. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for that price. As mentioned, popping off the muffler and looking at the P&C on the exhaust side is usually a good idea; maybe not necessary if you know the guy and he knows how to take care of his saws. Check the air filter and surrounding area to make sure it hasn't been neglected. Shouldn't be much concern with a saw that age.

I would recommend a 28" ES or ES-light ($) bar with full-skip RS. Anything over 28" is a bit much for all-around use, IMO.

4x4American

They are awesome saws if it feels like it has good compression, and runs good I'd get it.  I have one and it's one of my favorites.  It does very well with a 2' or 28" bar.  Is it an R or a half wrap?
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!