iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steering problem

Started by loggerman1959, October 25, 2016, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I have a late 70's JD 450 B , as I was working with it today I began to have trouble turning to the right , it would turn a little but then both tracks would stop . As I was pushing dirt I noticed that the right track would spin , and the left would not . What would cause a shortage of power in the left side ? I have no service manual , so I don't know if both sides are powered by the same source , or if they are separate . Any ideas ??

snowstorm

a   b   would have dry steering clutches sounds like it slipping. should also power steering

loggerman1959

The Steering clutches seem to grab when I pull back on the lever , feels like the left side just wont power into the turn when I try to go right . I have tried to adjust them with the bolt that sits under the seat , that just makes the steering grab faster.

snowstorm

dose it have power steering????? if it dose there will be 2 small hydraulic cylinders there. most likely causes are steering clutches. being dry any water that gets in there then they rust. broken teeth on the bull gear or any number of things. are you sure its a     b    if its a    c   it has wet clutches, after a while the hydraulic  hose that goes to the clutch pack would leak. this hose is inside the housing you cant see it without taking it apart. go get the vin number

loggerman1959

coxy

what snowstorm says steering clutch the bolt your adjusting is for the brake that's why it grabs faster but if you adjust it to much you will burn the brake band out

HiTech

They are driving clutches and steering brakes I believe. If only one track is spinning I would imagine the clutches are gone on the other side or out of adjustment. I believe there is a way to adjust them. It has been a long time since I worked on one.

snowstorm

you still didnt answer the question. dose it have power steering? the later   b  did. the   c  came out in the mid 70's. to get at the steering clutches the platform has to come off . it comes in one piece fuel tank oil tank everything. and the canopy . its a big job

loggerman1959

I really don't know if it has power steering , is there a way to tell ?

Thank You Sponsors!