iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant ????

Started by hopm, May 29, 2016, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

If a cant is out of square, is there any easy way to square it before it is sawed to dimensional lumber?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You can square any cant that is out of square.
But you must first find out why your mill sawed it out of square.
Fixing the problem should be your first move.

It could be nothing more than having bark between the bed and the first flat side.
It could be your back stops are not square to the bed.
An out of square mill will give you out of square cants every time.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

After you follow Poston's suggestions above about insuring that the sawmill is square, check the cant with a framing square when you make the second face opening.  If it is out of square, then use your log clamp or wedges or whatever and raise the offending corner and make a shim cut to square your two faces.  After this, you can now bring your cant down to your targeted cant for sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

warren46

This suggestion is most applicable to stationary or semi-stationary mills.  The bunks on my mill are level.  When I turn the opening face against the log stops I can quickly use a short level to verify that the face is vertical.  If it is not I can use to log turner or shims to adjust until the face is vertical.  Then when I make the second cut it will be square with the vertical face.  Once the two faces are square, then it is very unusual that the subsequent cuts will not be square.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

hopm

No problem with what caused the problem.....
operator error......just hoping for an easy way to beat my stupid :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hopm on May 29, 2016, 02:43:27 PM
No problem with what caused the problem.....
operator error......just hoping for an easy way to beat my stupid :D :D

Its not stupidity.....I went through the same thing as did most of the sawyers on here when they first started.
Its just part of learning.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Mistakes are not stupid, they are stepping stones. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Most times when I have sawn an out-of-square cant, it was due to tightening the clamp too tight!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

derhntr

Cut a few myself >:( saw dust, bark, over tightening clamp, or forgetting to lower rear tow board.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Magicman

Always watch the cant when you roll it over.  If it wiggles and seems unstable, even slightly, there is a good probability that there is bark under it somewhere. 

You generally can tell immediately when a side support if out of square.

But it never is a waste of time to do a periodic check.

rjwoelk

Mm is the side support not supposed to be out as it is to straighten up as you clamp? I check to see if the cant is square when it is clamped.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

There should not be any "slop" in the side supports but excess or inconsistent clamping pressure (as Chuck White mentioned) could compromise the squareness.

I have probably 1/16" of inward angle on my side supports.

rjwoelk

I have about the same. Thanks mm
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

terrifictimbersllc

It will be smaller after you square it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on May 29, 2016, 05:13:11 PM
Always watch the cant when you roll it over.  If it wiggles and seems unstable, even slightly, there is a good probability that there is bark under it somewhere. 

You generally can tell immediately when a side support if out of square.

But it never is a waste of time to do a periodic check.

On my last go-round with tuning my mill, I used a Wixey digital angle gauge (https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-Type-Digital-Backlight/dp/B00T6YZ0K6). This way I could have the gauge on the backstop while I made the adjustment. (I don't have a way to make my framing square stand up like MMs picture).

I thought it worked pretty slick and a final check with the square showed it right on.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

I tried the Wixey but went back to the aluminum tubing and framing square.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on June 01, 2016, 06:56:31 PM
I tried the Wixey but went back to the aluminum tubing and framing square.

Did you find something wrong with the Wixey method, or just preferred the framing square?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

mesquite buckeye

Make sure your framing square is actually square. :snowball:

Don't ask how I know this. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

It is just simpler and faster for me.

Thank You Sponsors!